• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Nts and spatial perception?

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
Is it a "must" for a NT to be good in spatial perception, because of Intuition??
Do you have a personally good spatial perception?,

I do not excell in spatial perception, and wonder, about other opinions.
My Granddad ,who was an InTP too, had a great spatial perception and he studyied geometry and worked in this field....

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i am not an NT but the NTs i know have pretty bad visual/spacial perception. of course my view is a little skewed considering only know a handful of NTs (though they are quite close to me).

the same can be said for most NFs i know.

there are exceptions to the rules of course

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
His small n should help. I just live inside my brain.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm good at it. I scored higher in spatial relations than anything else on a standardized test in high school.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm bad at it, especially considering I have a 99th percentile IQ :tongue10:

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
"Spatial" is therefore more than "visual" and includes abstract, analytical abilities that go beyond seeing images.
Spatial intelligence is easly to find in any community--architects, contractors, and engineers have it.
Source

If INTPs are labeled "The Architects", I would imagine spatial intelligence is at least average in most INTPs. However, I can't vouch for NTs as a whole.

Out of the two Multiple Intelligences tests I took, Spatial/Visual was my 3rd and 5th highest quotients. However, I believe the "Multiple Intelligences" test is more inclined to treat spatial as being primarily the visual aspect, while in truth it extends beyond that, perhaps to the "Mathematical/Logical" quotients, which are my highest on both tests.

So really it depends on semantics.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Spatial relations is the one thing I've consistantly scored in the top percentile since age 7, but as I've come to realize this is a curse as much as a benefit because social processing/cognition doesn't even break into my threshold of awareness at times - I'm just constantly trying to put "blocks" of things together in my head 24/7

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mind is visually oriented and I'm more than able to visualize things, but I have more trouble applying it in the environment. Any visual object that I've expressed is nowhere near the quality of what I conceived beforehand. Take a look at my artwork and notice how out of perspective it is.

But I do tend to score highest on visual/spatial relations on standardized tests.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can visualize things easily. It's usually the more detailed stuff that's easier. I don't really do well at visualizing the blobs that are used on visualization tests, though.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
What does it mean? I might have some trouble parking my car, sometimes - not being sure about the distance between the car and another car. However, in the typical "IQ tests", I tend to get 100 percent correct scores in the spatial patterns questions - it's definitely my best area.

Kleinheiko

MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
9w1
I think NT's bridge the gap of having excellent spatial awareness, and yet still being as clumsy as all sin.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I think NT's bridge the gap of having excellent spatial awareness, and yet still being as clumsy as all sin.

That's because you're confounding spatial skill/ability with immediate awareness/attention of surrounding environment .... any die-hard NT will do this latter part!

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
What does it mean? I might have some trouble parking my car, sometimes - not being sure about the distance between the car and another car. However, in the typical "IQ tests", I tend to get 100 percent correct scores in the spatial patterns questions - it's definitely my best area.

Moi aussi...

Here's my take on the spatial-visual disconnection. NTs are very good at visualizing... as in mental manipulation of objects. It's very easy to turn something about inside my head then project the necessary "details" like casting shadows, patterns etc. But these aren't true "details" as observed in real life by an SP. For example in mental objects, we seldom have to estimate or measure out distances or notice irregularities in the objects. How could we when the mental object is "flawless" (all details accounted for) and can be altered to fit whatever shape and size we desire? This little set of "details" is of great importances when it comes to navigation or maneuvering objects in real life. If we can somehow create a machine that will notice all of these little details for us then we'll be as good outside as we are in our heads. :D

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
ok, i m quiet average in it... i m propably a more intellectual curious and spiritual aware SP ;p- therefore an unhealthy type, or a person striving for balance...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I have good spatial perception usually. But if I'm not paying most of my attention to my immediate physical environment, my mind goes elsewhere and my spatial skills end.

Back when I played sports more often, I was good if I was in the zone, but I also zoned out a lot and that was my biggest problem.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
My spatial perception is probably my most developed mental attribute of all. I have an internal GPS system built into my brain or something of that nature. My first time as an adult in dallas, and I was able to get around the city in no time. I can be lost in the middle of the woods and figure out exactly where I am (no exaggeration). Even in the trunk of a car, I could usually figure out where the hell I am or being taken. I am also really good with 3d stuff like the logic box games and other exercises requiring spatial abilities.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I can do it in my head, or I can do things physically with small, close-by things. Anything larger and farther away is ultimately going to screw up because of depth perception problems.

Me: Pff, Empire States Building isn't that big.
Brother: Hap, it's far away. Look at it compared to the other skyscrapers.
Me: ...Oh.

incomple...

MBTI Type
PINT
IQ tests say it's my strength, but I don't believe in them anyway... :devil:

In everyday situations it is more of a concentration thing - if i'm focussed I can orientate myself quite easily. Same for getting into a parking space, either I manage it on the first try or I fail badly (and no, not because the space is too small :huh: ).

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Pretty much sums it up... And it's like the fifth time you've done that! :shock:

MBTI Type
INxJ
In real time, it sucks. I shouldn't be allowed to drive or even walk freely amongst other people, for prevention of injury.