• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP Therapist?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey that's probably true. I'd like to see stats saying how much Ts compared to Fs seek therapy.

I imagine it would be the converse if anything. T's do not seem likely to need solutions or logical approaches, they would seem to be to benefit from accessing their latent emotional states, which are likely rather undeveloped and difficult to access.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I imagine it would be the converse if anything. T's do not seem likely to need solutions or logical approaches, they would seem to be to benefit from accessing their latent emotional states, which are likely rather undeveloped and difficult to access.

If someone wants to get me to see something or figure out something or anything a therapist might want to do, I as a T am more likely to be related to and able to benefit from, a logical approach.

Maybe if a therapist is trying to get someone to access some repressed childhood trauma, an F would be most effective for a T.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe F dominants benefit from T dominants and vice versa?
Hmm, interestingly enough, my ex-boyfriend who is a T dominant helped me tremendously with my depression by telling me over and over again that in the end, we each have only one life to live and regardless of all the crap that may have been thrown our way, it is ultimately our responsibility to live our lives as happily and successful as we so fit.

I have also used cognitive-behavioral approaches to reason my way out of existential despair.

Maybe you benefit more from empathy than solutions.
No, I go to therapy with the intent to vent, and to open up my feelings, (and believe it or not, this is quite difficult for me to do), and when I find a therapist I can trust enough to express my innermost fears and fucked-upness, that alone helps me a lot. Therapy, (as in going to see an actual therapist), for me, has always been about opening up and dealing with the problems that arise when I open up.

I do worry that I would lose interest, as I do with most things, however I do feel this need to be impactful and this manifests wherever I work, whether that be in helping clients make money or in helping people triumph in their own lives.
Yeah, you wouldn't want to suddenly lose interest in a patient, :eek:uch:

You never kiss ass, so I know you mean it.
:smooch:

Maybe it is dominated by F's because it is less of a challenge for F's to deploy feeling. How do you measure the success of a therapeutic intervention?
Hmm, this is a difficult question, will have to think about this for a bit...

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

Bingo. I had a therapist who would only give me practical solutions, and would never try to get at the root of the problem. I don't think it was because he was T, though. I'm not even sure he was. The problem is that there are lots of approaches across the board, and, depending on where you study, or your personal preferences, you end up choosing a "style."

What I was really wanting my therapist to do was to know a lot about depression/dysthymia/perfectionism, and the effects any or all can have on the brain/thinking process. I wanted him to ask the right questions so I could figure out where all of it originated. I wanted him to reassure me that he'd seen all of it before and we'd get through it. I just felt like, ultimately, I knew more about psychology than he did. He basically had a Masters' in counselling, and had a few techniques that he wanted to apply to everyone.

I think the best therapists/psychologists are always talking to people, always reading up on the subject. They ideally would be flexible enough to realize that each patient is an individual, and that some benefit more from simple empathy, some from talking out their problems with no judgment, some from digging deeper into their pasts, some from practical solutions. No patient is the same.

I do think you'd make a good therapist, Synarch--you seem to be mature and care about people. With some ENTPs, I'd be worried that the patient would become sort of a science project for the therapist, but I don't think that would be a temptation with you.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't know if you would have this problem, Synarch, but I've imagined myself as a therapist, and it was pretty funny. I would advocate the impractical every time, because it's doing what they can't help do which screws people's lives up. For example, I would tell someone "You and your wife are just a bad match, and you'll never get along, so it's pointless to try. I don't know what you're going to do about your kids, that's your business."

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Tallulah, why did you go to a male therapist, just wondering...

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe it is dominated by F's because it is less of a challenge for F's to deploy feeling. How do you measure the success of a therapeutic intervention?

I'm in nursing school.
We use observable behaviors, scales, and patient reports. Need to reach certain goals within certain time frames.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
If someone wants to get me to see something or figure out something or anything a therapist might want to do, I as a T am more likely to be related to and able to benefit from, a logical approach.

Maybe if a therapist is trying to get someone to access some repressed childhood trauma, an F would be most effective for a T.

Would not the fact that you are seeking therapy bely the fact that some problems do not have logical solutions? As T's we sometimes have to accept the limits of logic in confronting the questions of life.

No, I go to therapy with the intent to vent, and to open up my feelings, (and believe it or not, this is quite difficult for me to do), and when I find a therapist I can trust enough to express my innermost fears and fucked-upness, that alone helps me a lot. Therapy, (as in going to see an actual therapist), for me, has always been about opening up and dealing with the problems that arise when I open up.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to suddenly lose interest in a patient, :eek:uch:

1. I don't like when you refer to inner fucked-upness. *stern*
2. Yes, I am loathe to commit myself, but once I do commit to someone I will not let them down.

I think the best therapists/psychologists are always talking to people, always reading up on the subject. They ideally would be flexible enough to realize that each patient is an individual, and that some benefit more from simple empathy, some from talking out their problems with no judgment, some from digging deeper into their pasts, some from practical solutions. No patient is the same.

I do think you'd make a good therapist, Synarch--you seem to be mature and care about people. With some ENTPs, I'd be worried that the patient would become sort of a science project for the therapist, but I don't think that would be a temptation with you.

Beautiful points! And your compliment is very sweet. Thank you.

I would honestly have to be mindful of my own motives at times.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know if you would have this problem, Synarch, but I've imagined myself as a therapist, and it was pretty funny. I would advocate the impractical every time, because it's doing what they can't help do which screws people's lives up. For example, I would tell someone "You and your wife are just a bad match, and you'll never get along, so it's pointless to try. I don't know what you're going to do about your kids, that's your business."

Jack Flak, I think that attitude is exactly what people need. To upturn the tables, so to speak. By definition, what they are doing is not working. That is a very perceptive attitude, on your part.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Jack Flak, I think that attitude is exactly what people need. To upturn the tables, so to speak. By definition, what they are doing is not working. That is a very perceptive attitude, on your part.
Thanks. If I have a strength, that's it.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm in nursing school.
We use observable behaviors, scales, and patient reports. Need to reach certain goals within certain time frames.

Interesting. I do wonder how goal setting works in the context of psychological counseling. If I ever did go to therapy, I know I would ask for such a plan, rather than just a time every week for me to unload on someone.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey that's probably true. I'd like to see stats saying how much Ts compared to Fs seek therapy.

just because a T may need therapy, doesn't mean they'd seek it out. many Ts are much more apt to try to solve it on their own or at least be convinced that they could if they gave it enough of an attempt. and, speaking only of myself, i'd want a therapist who would first listen, so i'd know they care enough to get all of the necessary information, but then give advice. preferably more than one option, so that i could decide which would work better for me.

i agree.

Bingo. I had a therapist who would only give me practical solutions, and would never try to get at the root of the problem. I don't think it was because he was T, though. I'm not even sure he was. The problem is that there are lots of approaches across the board, and, depending on where you study, or your personal preferences, you end up choosing a "style."

absolutely. i, for one, would be obsessed with getting to the root of the problem (the real 'truth' is paramount to finding the real answer). that is always on the top of my list when approaching things, including people asking for advice.

i really don't think a large percentage of any type would go to all of the trouble of getting into the field if that's how they viewed others.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. I do wonder how goal setting works in the context of psychological counseling. If I ever did go to therapy, I know I would ask for such a plan, rather than just a time every week for me to unload on someone.

Absolutely. Well lets say you were tearful 3X this week related to your depression. Your goal may be to be only 2X next week, 1X the week after, and be tear-free the next week. I don't know if that's how it works for counseling, but thats how nurses would go about it.
Goals =good.
Aimless talking = bad.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Would not the fact that you are seeking therapy bely the fact that some problems do not have logical solutions? As T's we sometimes have to accept the limits of logic in confronting the questions of life.

I don't think that because someone is a T, they have all the logical answers out there concerning their psyche, and have some kind of total logical understanding out their world, so I think T style communication could do a lot to help.

Do you have an example of a problem a T could have that wouldn't require logical help and solution?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't think that because someone is a T, they have all the logical answers out there concerning their psyche, and have some kind of total logical understanding out their world, so I think T style communication could do a lot to help.
Not as a rule, no. What some do understand though is that most people in a professional occupation, which includes therapists, aren't exceptionally good at what they do. If you can find and afford the top 1%, wonderful, but otherwise you're probably better off making a decent friend.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Not as a rule, no. What some do understand though is that most people in a professional occupation, which includes therapists, aren't exceptionally good at what they do. If you can find and afford the top 1%, wonderful, but otherwise you're probably better off making a decent friend.

psh. my friends come to me, and too many others, for advice way too often for me to go to them for any real answers.

a hug? sure, but answers? no. clarification? no. new insight? no. objectivity? no.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
psh. my friends come to me, and too many others, for advice way too often for me to go to them for any real answers. a hug? sure, but answers? no.
Well I give my friends answers. What surprises the hell out of me is that they sometimes actually listen to them, and improve their situations.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well I give my friends answers. What surprises the hell out of me is that they sometimes actually listen to them, and improve their situations.

that surprises me too.

zing!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Tallulah, why did you go to a male therapist, just wondering...

I was referred to him, and I lived in a small town at the time, so there weren't a lot of choices. I don't know that I would have preferred a female therapist over a male, though. As long as they're competent and compassionate, it doesn't matter so much to me.

Do you have an example of a problem a T could have that wouldn't require logical help and solution?

YES. Especially when it's a chemical thing that's happening in your brain, and you have tried every logical thing you can think of to snap yourself out of it, and you realize it's not something you can just "logic away." Therapy is useful to me because it provides an outside perspective when I can't trust what my brain is telling me. If you haven't experienced clinical depression or anxiety, you feel like there's nothing in the world that couldn't be fixed by logic. If you have experienced those things, you realize that you're not bulletproof, and there are some things that can't be fixed by more thinking. In fact, overthinking is usually the problem.

Jack's approach might work with some people. That'd be one of the things you'd have to intuit. I know it would just make me angry. Not anger-as-motivator, just angry at this yahoo who thinks he can manipulate me into wanting to prove him wrong by fixing my life. I'd see through that immediately.

just because a T may need therapy, doesn't mean they'd seek it out. many Ts are much more apt to try to solve it on their own or at least be convinced that they could if they gave it enough of an attempt. and, speaking only of myself, i'd want a therapist who would first listen, so i'd know they care enough to get all of the necessary information, but then give advice. preferably more than one option, so that i could decide which would work better for me.

Absolutely. I want to know that this person is taking my case as an individual case, and has cared enough to get the facts before tailoring an approach to me.

digest said:
i really don't think a large percentage of any type would go to all of the trouble of getting into the field if that's how they viewed others.

No, and I really didn't mean to imply that. Just a tendency I've noticed through board interaction with a few ENTPs. Other types would have things they'd have to watch, too, but Syn was asking if an ENTP would make a good therapist, so I answered it that way.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
YES. Especially when it's a chemical thing that's happening in your brain, and you have tried every logical thing you can think of to snap yourself out of it, and you realize it's not something you can just "logic away." Therapy is useful to me because it provides an outside perspective when I can't trust what my brain is telling me. If you haven't experienced clinical depression or anxiety, you feel like there's nothing in the world that couldn't be fixed by logic. If you have experienced those things, you realize that you're not bulletproof, and there are some things that can't be fixed by more thinking. In fact, overthinking is usually the problem.

While you are being provided with that outside perspective, aren't you thinking?