• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and God

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
What about Pascal's idea that God cannot fully be grasped through thinking ?

Pascal once abandoned mathematics because he considered it a sexual indulgence. Make one wonder just how he intended to grasp God.

Religion is like a government...
that is all

Yep. I been saying that for a long time. Religion is an ancient form of government.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
i can't say god doesn't exist. b/c the fact god's existance cannot be proven doesn't rule out its existance. But I'm bit skeptic about it, due to its repetetive usage of fallacies.

In daily lives, etc
I will not go to the extend to prove to the world that god doesn't exist. Or persuade others.
B/c religion benefits humanity. Not many people are independent, and this secured feeling religion provides, i think its good for some. Be it victims of trauma, etc

Also even if "God" was to come down and say there is no such thing as religion and i'm going to disapear as of this moment. Though, huge faction will lose their faith, believers will continue to exist. Saying this is a test, not a real god,,, etc.

because in the end, the world, humanity needs God
But i dont. And i'm sure some others don't either.

People think they need God, but in fact they don't. People just need education and rules.

redacted

Rules?

I like the phrase "knowledge of conventions" a lot more than rules. The only "rules" are what one can and cannot physically do.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Rules?

I like the phrase "knowledge of conventions" a lot more than rules. The only "rules" are what one can and cannot physically do.

Rules, as in; if you kill, we'll jail you for life mothafucka !

redacted

Rules, as in; if you kill, we'll jail you for life mothafucka !

Correction: if you kill AND get caught, we'll jail you for life.

There's no "rule" against killing. There's just cost-benefit analysis based on knowledge of conventions/conventional behaviors of others.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What're you talking about? I am God. And every knee shall bow before me, or I shall remove thine kneecaps and replace them with jellyfish!

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
What're you talking about? I am God.

Awesome.

buddy-jesus.jpg

The next step: We eat your flesh and drink your blood.
You be crucified and die for our sins.

G

garbage

I'm very interested in the concept of religion and the potential distilled wisdom that can be found in religious texts. Being aligned with three different churches in various capacities, I'm pretty active in Sunday school sessions, seeking the underlying meanings of the scriptures that are discussed. And I don't go in just to present an alternative, skeptical viewpoint of religion and to get a rise out of people like other Rationals I know try to do.

I have no interest in worship services, though, aside from how they affect and inspire others.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I'd suggest any approach towards the G question, presented to any NT except for INTJs, be very distilled from the Judeo-Christian God.... because this is the God that causes so much friction to an NT soul. Even though Faith might be a higher form of reason than logic.... well you won't get anywhere without it.

Any y'all need to stop pretending that NTs automatically have a problem with God because they're not religious. Einstein, Newton, Descartes all held God to have very important significance in their systems. Spinoza has almost an iron-clad proof for the logic behind God, although again it's a very sterilized kind of God, and it's a heavy read. I'd suggest reading Leibniz's discourse on metaphysics.... because for one it's a simple interpretation of God, and it will be VERY hard for any NT to not be tempted by the words of one of the founders of calculus. (this makes Leibniz almost Holy in NT-speak!)

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Awesome.

buddy-jesus.jpg

The next step: We eat your flesh and drink your blood.
You be crucified and die for our sins.

View attachment 2873

No, the next step is that you submit to me and hope that your insanity only lasts for the ten thousand years that I force you to endure in a miserable bleak existence.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that people's religious beleifs and the manners in which they worship are fascinating- so many beautiful things have been created in dedication to god, so I wouldn't say that religion was a negative force. Also, charity works done by the religious in some poorer parts of the world (like some poor rural parts of Latin America) are very admirable.

I have trouble beleiving in any concrete "God" but I definitley beleive in the idea that something's definitley out there :ninja:

Frank

Thanks for this insight.
How can you speak about God with an NT ?[/QUOTE]

Theorize. Talk about the what ifs. Appeal to their intuition. Just don't expect an NT to take anything on blind faith. I think you are just as likely to find agnostics among the ranks of NTs as you are atheists. Many Nts are willing to admit that there is the possibility of something existing that is beyond their logic. At the same time however if it can't be proven or disproven there is not much point in giving it too much thought.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I dunno. I guess I'm always dumbstruck by the question.

I'm also dumbstruck by people who can say "yes!" or "no!" with such resoluteness, though.

Since there have been so many religions over so many times, I dunno if there's a 'God' or 'gods', but it seems like there may be something in it that just can't be thrown away. It's so ingrained into people that either there's something there or something needed, but either way, the suggestion can't just be shrugged off without a second thought.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I understand why people believe in a god/gods, as I was a Christian for the first 17 years of my life. However, it's not for me. I lost my faith through asking myself the question, "why should I believe in God?", and I still haven't found an answer.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I do not have a need for "a god".

I would also be highly reluctant to call a superior life form - "a god". While I do not deny the possibility of superior forms of energy or matter to exist, which could be called far superior to our comprehension. I would not go as far as to name them "gods".