• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and God

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
God cannot be disproved or proved. I have no reason to argue for or against it until I hear logic that persuades me. I am leaning towards no god though, since there is more convincing logical evidence of that suggestion. However, I cannot completely disregard anything that is not 100% disproved. So technically you can tell me that there are pink elephants in space and I'd be skeptical, but I'd keep it in mind. =-)

MBTI Type
InTJ
Enneagram
God cannot be disproved or proved. I have no reason to argue for or against it until I hear logic that persuades me. I am leaning towards no god though, since there is more convincing logical evidence of that suggestion. However, I cannot completely disregard anything that is not 100% disproved. So technically you can tell me that there are pink elephants in space and I'd be skeptical, but I'd keep it in mind. =-)

You can disprove the Judeo/Christian/Muslim god though. Follow the roots of history. You can easily catch the starting point and the massive alterations of these religions as time progressed

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
1) Isn't that an untestable epistemological hypothesis? If your position is "when determining the truth of a proposition, one must consider only the proposition and evidence for the proposition," what evidence is there for that position?

2) It's impossible to consider anything in a vacuum; there must always be evidence for the evidence and evidence again for that, and so on and so forth.

3) The veracity of the Big Bang is not in question. The question the Kalam Cosmological Argument asks is: "Can the universe have caused itself?" If the universe cannot have caused itself, and there's no alternative, it must be God. That is evidence. I find that your formulation essentially denies the possibility of disjunctive arguments, in the form "Either A or B, not A, therefore B." Yet these arguments have been considered valid throughout history and are still used today. I consider this an argument from consensus; the fact that centuries of philosophical doubt have not unseated this concept is evidence suggesting that it is likely that the concept is true.

4) The statement "there is a cause for the universe which transcends time and space" is evidence for God. If the Cosmological Argument proves this statement, then how is it anything but evidence for God?

True. I'll abandon self-sustaining. One point though: if you're going to rely on these theories as part of your argument, aren't you obligated to provide proof for theories that are highly contested throughout the scientific community? This seems to contradict your idea that no choice is better than an uncertain (or arbitrarily unlikely) choice. Just take self-creating. Provide me with an example of anything that is its own efficient, material, and final cause.

1) This does not address the Ockham's Razor argument. Are these theories any simpler or any likelier than the theory that God exists?

2) The first premise of the argument anticipates the objection "the universe is self existent". "Everything that begins to exist has a cause." In fact, let me update this for clarity: "Everything that begins to exist has an external cause; that is, a cause that is not itself". The argument stands until one disproves either this principle or the Big Bang. It would be logically inconsistent to affirm "everything that begins to exist has an external cause," "the universe began at the Big Bang," and "the universe is self-existent." One may maintain any two of the three and remain logically coherent, but to affirm all three is logically impossible.

Sorry. You encapsulated my argument pretty well. I provided a (hopefully) more coherent objection above.

Hey, when you lose one, you lose one, right?

It does not assume that a perfect being exists. It assumes that a perfect being can be conceived of, which you conceded.

No, it assumes that existence is a perfection. The premise is not "existence = perfection," it's "to exist is better (more perfect) than to not exist". In my book, one is free to dispute that claim, although it requires one to disregard the majority of both internal and external evidence one accumulates throughout one's life.

And regarding the conclusion, just replace the word "possible" with the word "imaginary". It's the same argument. Or better yet, remove the word possible altogether.

I'm not even going to bother reading through this whole debate so forgive me if i just give you a selection of reasons to not believe in a god that may or may not have been said before.
I will presume to talk about the standard judeo-christian god unless stated otherwise.

Everything we make is simpler than ourself is it not? Even the most complex computer is not as complex as the human body. I think its safe therefor to presume that any creator similar to ourselfs ie a conscience beings, is more complex than anything they create. Therefor i would argue that we can safely assume God is more complex than his creation, the universe.

Therefor the question "What made god?" is logically more complex than "What made the universe?"

The god theory also comes with the questions "Why did god make the universe?","How did god make the universe?" and "When did god make the universe?"

So "What made god?"

Well you could say:

God has always existed or something similar.

The Big Bang.

I don't know.

Well my questions would be:

Why can't the universe have always existed but god can? Why complicate the question "What made the universe?" into the more complex "What made god?" and the questions that come with it when actually in the end you do not really answer the question of how the universe came to be.

Why complicate the big bang theory with god? You have a good scientific theory with some evidence for it. Why then go add a conscience being into it when all it does is complicates the theory as well as there being no scientific proof for god.

Then why not just say you don't know what made the universe rather than make the question more complicated?

Whoa! didn't realise how much i had wrote. I'll put up more later.

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
If you want to argue about arguing, then fine.

Yes, I want to argue about arguing--how can you avoid it? If the two debators are coming out of completely different frameworks, then you're never going to reach consensus. And my theory is that certain aspects of your framework for argument preclude certain things that are crucial to my argument (I could be wrong here). Consequently, my only option is to question said framework.

Note that I said "away from competing theories", of course you need evidence for the evidence, but that's assumed.

Nevermind. I was questioning the statement "in a vacuum," by attempting to show that it's impossible to deal with anything in a vacuum, because knowledge is a recursive formula: you must have evidence for the evidence, and evidence for that evidence, and evidence for the evidence for the evidence, until you reach something that's self-evident. But that's not a direction I want to go in, as it's rather unpalatable to me.

Anyway, I think that I'm not completely understanding what you mean about testing ideas in a vacuum with just the evidence and the theory, doing battle (which, by the way, is a very nice image). Can you state it differently or explain it more?

Can God have caused itself? If God cannot have caused itself, and there's no alternative, then it must be something greater than God. Either A or B is a false dichotomy, there are many many theories as to how life and the universe began, and such arguments are never valid, unless of course there really is only two positions, and that one of them must be true.

But that's the argument! God did not begin to exist, and therefore does not need a cause.

Let me know if I'm wrong here: we agree on the premise "The universe began to exist at the Big Bang" or at least we are conceding it for the sake of the argument, and can busy ourselves with proving or disproving it later. If we agree on that, then the universe requires a cause, per premise 1 of the Cosmological Argument. This makes our dichotomy "Either the universe is created by itself, or the universe is created by something other than itself." Now, let's briefly grant it as a possibility that the universe is self-creating, rather than being created by an external cause (remember that this external cause must be without time or matter, since those both began at the big bang). When we test this theory against evidence, it doesn't hold water, because nothing else is self-created, so it's incredibly unlikely (in the absence of some other overwhelming evidence) that the universe is self-created. God, on the other hand, is self-existent, but not self-created, because He was never created, because he (again, by definition) never began to exist. That is the meaning of "eternal" or "atemporal".

To state it another way, something has to be eternal, or you have infinite regress (y was caused by x, which was caused by w, which was caused by v, which was caused by u, literally ad infinitum, because each of them, not being eternal, began to exist). Now, by Ockham's Razor, it is simpler for there to be one eternal thing and one non-eternal thing than for there to be a chain of non-eternal things that caused each other, and then one eternal thing. Consequently, the simplest possible arrangement is for there to be one eternal, atemporal Cause, which then caused the universe.

Now, just hypothetically, the one "eternal thing" could be a "ray" rather than a "line"; that is, it could extend back infinitely far, but have stopped at a given point, which would give you a deistic universe, in which a Cause (I won't call it God) created the universe and then ceased to exist. But that's completely irrelevant to our debate.

That statement doesn't prove anything, it just states a position with no support.

The support for the position is difficult to word, but yes, excuses aside, stated is it was, it is merely an assertion, sans evidence.

I am not relying on these theories as my argument. If I recall, you are the one who brought them up in the first place, while I continually asserted their irrelevance to the question of God.

Point taken (again).

If the universe has always existed, then there is no need to prove a cause for it, as one would not exist. This is identical to your argument for God, except that here I "cut out the middleman" so to speak.

But the point of premise one is that there is not a possibility that the universe has always existed. If you affirm "everything that begins to exist has a cause" and "the universe began to exist at a given point," you cannot also hold that the universe has always existed. All the argument is saying is that a cause for the universe must exist. Now, it's implications edge us closer to the Christian God, but all the argument is seeking to refute is the thing you just said (stated declaratively, rather than subjunctively): the universe has always existed, therefore it does not have a cause. The Cosmological argument proves that the universe does have a cause, because it began to exist, and everything that begins to exist has a cause.

See above, there is a possibility that the universe has always existed. Then of course you are left in the same position as theistic theories of having no evidence. However, I again stress that just because one theory does not prove another.

See above.

Heh. I enjoy debating with you. You are willing to admit when you're wrong, and provide some counter arguments that I have not encountered much before.

Gracias, and likewise. You're really making me refine my statements, which I'm always grateful for (or rather, for which I'm always grateful)! Glad I can bring something new into your thoughts; that's always nice.

I see, it's all clicking together now. I did not fully understand this argument until now. The misunderstanding especially arose in a different definition of 'conceive'. When I conceive a perfect a being, I don't imagine anything really, it's like a book telling me "a perfect being exists in this story", but does offer any explanation as to it's properties. Basically, it's like when I accept a premise given by an opponent in a debate as true for the sake of argument. In that capacity, I can conceive of a perfect being. However, if such a being actually existed, it would have no form, no properties, would not effect the world. Clearly, this is not what this argument is trying to achieve.

Let's take a hypothetical situation. I am imagining a pile of 1 million dollars, right next to me. This pile is the perfect pile of 1 million dollars, and that includes the property of being existent. However, I do not see a pile of 1 million dollars beside me. Hopefully this should illuminate the faultiness of this argument.

Also, what evidence internal and external evidence do you refer to?

[irrational feeling-based rant]Oh, that was me being airy and faux-poetic, and not entirely rational. The idea was that one is constantly bombarded with evidence that it's better to be alive than to be not alive, from which one extrapolates the idea that to exist is better than to not exist. The evidence that being alive is better than not being alive, well, it's not rational, it's merely perceived and understood. You know, it's... enjoying life! Or, inductively, the fact that the majority of people don't commit suicide, and the fact that everything in nature is constantly fighting to survive, to continue "being"[/irrational feeling-based rant]

The traditional response to your objection (that I've heard) is that the pile of 1 million dollar bills does not have every perfection, and so does not meet the terms of the argument, e.g., the 1 million dollar bills are not perfectly knowledgeable, because inanimate objects can't know things, at least not in the rational sense of the word. So it is impossible to have a "perfect pile of 1 million dollar bills."

This is all in the definition of the word "perfect". In your objection, the word perfect (probably) means something close to "ideal relative to other objects in its category," what Plato might call (somewhat awkwardly), "the form of a pile of 1 million dollar bills". But in the argument, the word perfect means "ideal relative to all of reality," what Plato would (and does) call the "Form of the Good". Per the objection, the object possess every perfection that it is possible for that particular object to have; per the argument, the being possesses every perfection that it is possible for anything to have, including existence. You'll grant that certain objects can't have certain perfections,

I get what you mean about the different definitions of "conceive". See what I mean about refining my language/defining my terms? By the way, this whole "definition of terms" bit is part of the reason that Mr. Hart rejects the idea of arguments for God's existence: language itself is an imperfect means of communication, and we can't communicate an argument perfectly. Thus we are forced to rely on beauty as evidence, because beauty works outside of language. Language can be a vessel for beauty, but beauty is something other than language, analogous to the way in which sheet music for a given song is a vessel for the song, but the song itself is something other than sheet music. This is horribly off-topic. Sorry.

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
Why can't the universe have always existed but god can? Why complicate the question "What made the universe?" into the more complex "What made god?" and the questions that come with it when actually in the end you do not really answer the question of how the universe came to be.

Why complicate the big bang theory with god? You have a good scientific theory with some evidence for it. Why then go add a conscience being into it when all it does is complicates the theory as well as there being no scientific proof for god.

Sorry for the double post.

To answer your questions, the answer to the question "why can't the universe have always existed" is "The Big Bang Theory". Now, there's an occasional misunderstanding (both by theists and nonthesists) wherein people believe that the Big Bang caused the universe. This is untrue. The Big Bang Theory merely describes the process of its expansion from an infinitely hot and infinitely dense condition, before which space-time did not exist, to the universe as we know it today.

Now, as to "why complicate the Big Bang theory with God?" My answer is that the Big Bang Theory and the proposition "God created the universe" answer totally different questions. The Big Bang Theory tells me that the universe was once infinitely hot and infinitely dense, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. If you're satisfied with knowing that, then great! But most scientists would find it confusing that this pocket of infinite heat and infinite density containing all of what we know as the universe today randomly and spontaneously popped into existence, and that it just decided to begin expanding. Consequently, it is more logical to believe that something caused the pocket of infinitely hot and dense matter to begin existing and expanding than to believe that this occurred on its own. So then, my belief is that yes, the existence of God does complicate matters. But surely science prioritizes completeness over simplicity! Otherwise, we would have said "well, the data shows that matter must be composed of something, but determining what matter is composed of would complicate matters, so let's just leave it at that" and molecules and atoms never would have been discovered or described. I would much rather have the complicated truth than an easy incomplete theory.

If I may editorialize for a moment, it's really depressing that people don't believe that there's any logical evidence for the existence of God. Both from a pedagogical standpoint (who failed to teach all of these people about Aquinas and Augustine, and for that matter, important stands of Plato and Aristotle?) and from the church's perspective (why do we emphasize screaming, hollering, and giving money, but never the fact that there are good, sound reasons for believing what we believe), I find it disheartening that no one bothers to express all of the brilliant thinkers who have provided compelling arguments for God's existence. Now, if you examine the evidence and come to the conclusion that it's wrong, then fine. But the fact that no one knows that there's evidence at all is just sad. If you would, do me a favor and look up Thomas Aquinas, David Bentley Hart, Alvin Plantinga, J.P. Moreland, Karl Barth, even William Lane Craig. You'll find logical arguments for God (note that "logical" does not mean "scientific," and I'd be more than glad to have that date on a different topic), if you'll just look for them, I promise.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, I want to argue about arguing--how can you avoid it? If the two debators are coming out of completely different frameworks, then you're never going to reach consensus. And my theory is that certain aspects of your framework for argument preclude certain things that are crucial to my argument (I could be wrong here). Consequently, my only option is to question said framework.

Seems you didn't see my edit. How long were you typing this response? Anyway, you cannot prove that. It's impossible. But you also can't prove that 2+2=4. But in both cases, they just make sense. If a put a pile of two and a pile of two together, I get a pile of four. Similarly, it just makes sense that evidence for one theory does not constitute negative evidence for another theory.

Nevermind. I was questioning the statement "in a vacuum," by attempting to show that it's impossible to deal with anything in a vacuum, because knowledge is a recursive formula: you must have evidence for the evidence, and evidence for that evidence, and evidence for the evidence for the evidence, until you reach something that's self-evident. But that's not a direction I want to go in, as it's rather unpalatable to me.

Anyway, I think that I'm not completely understanding what you mean about testing ideas in a vacuum with just the evidence and the theory, doing battle (which, by the way, is a very nice image). Can you state it differently or explain it more?

Imagine a race. All possible explanations for a phenomena are at the starting line. Scientists then go around finding evidence. All theories that the evidence supports move up, all other theories stay at the starting line. The theories are not directly competing, like in a boxing match, but they are competing indirectly, to be the theory that agrees fully with all the evidence, like an olympic runner does not compete directly with the other runners, but with the track, and with his body.

But that's the argument! God did not begin to exist, and therefore does not need a cause.

Let me know if I'm wrong here: we agree on the premise "The universe began to exist at the Big Bang" or at least we are conceding it for the sake of the argument, and can busy ourselves with proving or disproving it later.

We do not agree. Truly my position is, "I don't know" about how the universe started. Big Bang theory has many problems, but so do all theories. There are many many theories in which the universe does not have a cause, including several varieties of Big Bang theory. If the universe has a cause, then there is a possibility that it is God (of course, depending on the definition of God in use, greater than the universe automatically means God), however even if for the sake of argument I accept that God caused the universe, that doesn't really mean anything. God, for all we know just set the initial parameters and then never interfered again, and may never, or is possibly incapable of it. While some would be satisfied with that *coughDeistscough*, I don't think this is the image of God that you wish to portray (or at least not the one that many believers wish to). As what is the difference between this and jan unfeeling, uncaring universe, for practical purposes?

If we agree on that, then the universe requires a cause, per premise 1 of the Cosmological Argument. This makes our dichotomy "Either the universe is created by itself, or the universe is created by something other than itself." Now, let's briefly grant it as a possibility that the universe is self-creating, rather than being created by an external cause (remember that this external cause must be without time or matter, since those both began at the big bang). When we test this theory against evidence, it doesn't hold water, because nothing else is self-created, so it's incredibly unlikely (in the absence of some other overwhelming evidence) that the universe is self-created. God, on the other hand, is self-existent, but not self-created, because He was never created, because he (again, by definition) never began to exist. That is the meaning of "eternal" or "atemporal".

To state it another way, something has to be eternal, or you have infinite regress (y was caused by x, which was caused by w, which was caused by v, which was caused by u, literally ad infinitum, because each of them, not being eternal, began to exist). Now, by Ockham's Razor, it is simpler for there to be one eternal thing and one non-eternal thing than for there to be a chain of non-eternal things that caused each other, and then one eternal thing. Consequently, the simplest possible arrangement is for there to be one eternal, atemporal Cause, which then caused the universe.

Now, just hypothetically, the one "eternal thing" could be a "ray" rather than a "line"; that is, it could extend back infinitely far, but have stopped at a given point, which would give you a deistic universe, in which a Cause (I won't call it God) created the universe and then ceased to exist. But that's completely irrelevant to our debate.

I'll grant that this would be true, if you assume the starting principles are true, however, see my objections above.

But the point of premise one is that there is not a possibility that the universe has always existed. If you affirm "everything that begins to exist has a cause" and "the universe began to exist at a given point," you cannot also hold that the universe has always existed. All the argument is saying is that a cause for the universe must exist. Now, it's implications edge us closer to the Christian God, but all the argument is seeking to refute is the thing you just said (stated declaratively, rather than subjunctively): the universe has always existed, therefore it does not have a cause. The Cosmological argument proves that the universe does have a cause, because it began to exist, and everything that begins to exist has a cause.

By the italicizing, do you mean to say that there is no possibility that the universe has always existed? If so, then I would ask you to prove that position, which is of course, logically impossible. I assume you don't mean that though, so see above.

Gracias, and likewise. You're really making me refine my statements, which I'm always grateful for (or rather, for which I'm always grateful)! Glad I can bring something new into your thoughts; that's always nice.

Weee.

[irrational feeling-based rant]Oh, that was me being airy and faux-poetic, and not entirely rational. The idea was that one is constantly bombarded with evidence that it's better to be alive than to be not alive, from which one extrapolates the idea that to exist is better than to not exist. The evidence that being alive is better than not being alive, well, it's not rational, it's merely perceived and understood. You know, it's... enjoying life! Or, inductively, the fact that the majority of people don't commit suicide, and the fact that everything in nature is constantly fighting to survive, to continue "being"[/irrational feeling-based rant]

I know it's an irrational feeling-based rant, but I feel compelled to answer it anyway, and you can't stop me! Organisms fight to survive, because to do anything else, would be impossible (or rather, if they didn't then they would die out, and wouldn't stick around to continue not fighting to survive). There is nothing inherently superior about survival, just that only the things which survive exist to be observed. For all we know, the dead organisms are enjoying a nice relaxing vacation at the beach in HeavenLand (tm).

The traditional response to your objection (that I've heard) is that the pile of 1 million dollar bills does not have every perfection, and so does not meet the terms of the argument, e.g., the 1 million dollar bills are not perfectly knowledgeable, because inanimate objects can't know things, at least not in the rational sense of the word. So it is impossible to have a "perfect pile of 1 million dollar bills."

This is all in the definition of the word "perfect". In your objection, the word perfect (probably) means something close to "ideal relative to other objects in its category," what Plato might call (somewhat awkwardly), "the form of a pile of 1 million dollar bills". But in the argument, the word perfect means "ideal relative to all of reality," what Plato would (and does) call the "Form of the Good". Per the objection, the object possess every perfection that it is possible for that particular object to have; per the argument, the being possesses every perfection that it is possible for anything to have, including existence. You'll grant that certain objects can't have certain perfections,

So, if it posses, every quality possible to have, then wouldn't it contain contradictory qualities? Such as existance and non-existance, weightlessness and the weight of the universe, blindness and the ability to see all spectrums. Along with the traditional "omni paradoxes", such as "Can God create a boulder so heavy he can not lift it?", and the omniscience vs free will paradox, etc. But even more than that, I argue that perfection doesn't exist, not in any objective fashion, at least. It's all entirely subjective, depending on what qualities one likes and dislikes. There is nothing inherent about any property of anything that is perfect, or non-perfect, it just is.

I get what you mean about the different definitions of "conceive". See what I mean about refining my language/defining my terms? By the way, this whole "definition of terms" bit is part of the reason that Mr. Hart rejects the idea of arguments for God's existence: language itself is an imperfect means of communication, and we can't communicate an argument perfectly. Thus we are forced to rely on beauty as evidence, because beauty works outside of language. Language can be a vessel for beauty, but beauty is something other than language, analogous to the way in which sheet music for a given song is a vessel for the song, but the song itself is something other than sheet music. This is horribly off-topic. Sorry.

It wouldn't be a debate without semantic arguments.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Imagine a race. All possible explanations for a phenomena are at the starting line. Scientists then go around finding evidence. All theories that the evidence supports move up, all other theories stay at the starting line. The theories are not directly competing, like in a boxing match, but they are competing indirectly, to be the theory that agrees fully with all the evidence, like an olympic runner does not compete directly with the other runners, but with the track, and with his body.

I have been reading these posts thoughtfully and I still don't see what the fault or problem is with this explanation for atheism or agnosticism.

We do not agree. Truly my position is, "I don't know" about how the universe started. Big Bang theory has many problems, but so do all theories. There are many many theories in which the universe does not have a cause, including several varieties of Big Bang theory. If the universe has a cause, then there is a possibility that it is God (of course, depending on the definition of God in use, greater than the universe automatically means God), however even if for the sake of argument I accept that God caused the universe, that doesn't really mean anything. God, for all we know just set the initial parameters and then never interfered again, and may never, or is possibly incapable of it. While some would be satisfied with that *coughDeistscough*, I don't think this is the image of God that you wish to portray (or at least not the one that many believers wish to). As what is the difference between this and jan unfeeling, uncaring universe, for practical purposes?

My position is also "I don't know" and so my other position is agnosticism. The word "if" is what gets me in this discussion. It's IF the universe has a cause. We can back and forth with theoretical positions and different arguments proposed by historical figures (I have studied Aquinas and Augustine, but in the context of literature/history) but no one posting here can *know* whether or not the universe has a 'cause'.*

Is changing form a 'cause'? Could one conceive of the Big Bang merely as a changing of form? And, what followed it?

before which space-time did not exist

Is this accepted, generally, in the scientific community? (I'm asking because I don't know)

I don't know, call me pigheaded but when it comes to questions like this (and this might be the classic one) - does God exist? - there's such a disconnect between the concrete discussion, and the more abstract theoretical one. In no way, believe me, am I pooping on theoretical discussion but the fairly simple fact remains, for me, that I need proof. I can grant all sorts of possibilities, but in order to *believe* something, I need some kind of concrete proof. And that's why I don't believe, at this time.

If I may editorialize for a moment, it's really depressing that people don't believe that there's any logical evidence for the existence of God. Both from a pedagogical standpoint (who failed to teach all of these people about Aquinas and Augustine, and for that matter, important stands of Plato and Aristotle?) and from the church's perspective (why do we emphasize screaming, hollering, and giving money, but never the fact that there are good, sound reasons for believing what we believe), I find it disheartening that no one bothers to express all of the brilliant thinkers who have provided compelling arguments for God's existence. Now, if you examine the evidence and come to the conclusion that it's wrong, then fine. But the fact that no one knows that there's evidence at all is just sad.

This bugs me a bit. Why does anyone have to have 'failed' to teach people? How do you know a person is unaware of these positions? One might simply disagree that they offer proof (I do). Earlier in this thread I posted a couple of times that I respect religious people - some of them, anyway - and have always been envious of their certainty, and their seriousness (again, some of them) - I personally am not interested in portraying all believers as wild-eyed simpletons with a penchant for speaking in tongues. As for expressing the ideas of these brilliant thinkers - wouldn't that be the job of the believers, technically? I am not arguing for belief, so it's not my job, in terms of the argument, to find and state arguments... for belief. Of course, it's possible you were addressing this to the believers.

To be honest, I would be really happy to have proof of God. I'd like there to be a benevolent God.

*I quoted Costrin, but am mainly replying to Silverchris9, if that wasn't clear. :)

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
This bugs me a bit. Why does anyone have to have 'failed' to teach people? How do you know a person is unaware of these positions? One might simply disagree that they offer proof (I do). Earlier in this thread I posted a couple of times that I respect religious people - some of them, anyway - and have always been envious of their certainty, and their seriousness (again, some of them) - I personally am not interested in portraying all believers as wild-eyed simpletons with a penchant for speaking in tongues. As for expressing the ideas of these brilliant thinkers - wouldn't that be the job of the believers, technically? I am not arguing for belief, so it's not my job, in terms of the argument, to find and state arguments... for belief. Of course, it's possible you were addressing this to the believers.

Yeah, failed was harsh language, but it wasn't intended to apply to you. It was intended to apply to people who make the specific statement, "there is no evidence for God". There is a difference between saying, as you do, "I have looked at evidence and I'm not convinced" or even "there may be evidence, but I am not interested in reading it," and making the wholly unfounded statement "there is no evidence for God". Even a theory that the scientific community discards has some evidence for it, or it would have been impossible to even bother to write about. If you're aware of the existence of a work like Summa Theologica, how can you say there's no evidence for the existence of God? Also, regarding your statement that expressing the arguments of brilliant thinkers is the job of believers, weren't the brilliant thinkers believers? Why is it a requirement that some hypothetical brigade of believers recite arguments, when the arguments in their best form are available, say, on the internet? In an argument, yes, it would be the believers responsibility to present the arguments for belief (that was good, btw). But my point is, when you make a minor decision, you look for evidence for and against. When you're making a decision as to whether or not God exists, which changes one's entire metaphysical understanding (and possibly, one's entire life), I would probably make at least a cursory glance at the evidence for and against. And my belief is that it's a part of good teaching, good scholarship, to at least acknowledge the existence of alternative views, and to not dismiss them as unfounded without at least being aware of them.

Now, I can't say that I've made enough study of evidence against God, but that's what this discussion is for, right? So I'm really not attacking you, Kangirl, because I really respect people like you who are at least passingly familiar with the fact that some very smart people have argued that God exists, even if you're not convinced by them. My belief is that you are incorrect, but as far as I'm concerned, my respect increases by several orders of magnitude when I find considered statements like yours and Costrin's than when I encounter statements that clearly have no basis in fact, i.e., "there is no evidence for God", unless the statement is qualified I believe in God, but I would never make such an obviously false statement as "there is no evidence for atheism" or "there is no evidence for Darwinism" or "there is no evidence for pantheism," because one trip to the library proves that such statements are demonstrably false.

I did a fairly quick wikipedia look-over, and I believe that "before which space-time did not exist" is a conclusion taken from the "Hartle-Hawking state," which holds that space-time is finite. It may or may not be universally accepted, but I believe that it is fairly popular. I'm fairly certain that steady-state theory is discredited, but apparently there are theories that argue that the Big Bang does not inherently preclude an eternal universe, but these are (I think) tied up in highly speculative things like string theory.

I was addressing believers and nonbelievers. I wish that believers emphasized this stuff more, and I wish nonbelievers didn't dismiss it out of hand, or not know that it even existed.

What is "concrete proof" to you? Is it scientific evidence based on observable phenomena, and if not, how much broader is it than this?

Costrin, I started my response early in the day, and then I added and subtracted at various times in the day until I posted it.

Okay, so I understand your position better now, I think. What I don't understand is how it follows that this position precludes the Cosmological argument. Perhaps if I rephrased it as such:

If the universe began to exist, then it has a cause
The universe began to exist
Therefore it has a cause.

The evidence for "if the universe began to exist, then it has a cause" is the inductive argument "everything that I have seen that begins to exist has a cause." The evidence for "the universe began to exist" is the Big Bang Theory. The Big Bang Theory in this case is merely evidence for the evidence, and is in no way in any sort of "direct competition" with "God exists". I don't think it violates your principle.

Evidence 1) Anything that begins to exist has a cause
-Support: everything that I have seen that begins to exist has a cause.
Evidence 2) The universe began to exist
-Support: The Big Bang Theory (every time I type this, I keep thinking about the TV show. Okay, sorry, just wanted to say that.)

God, for all we know just set the initial parameters and then never interfered again, and may never, or is possibly incapable of it. While some would be satisfied with that *coughDeistscough*, I don't think this is the image of God that you wish to portray (or at least not the one that many believers wish to). As what is the difference between this and jan unfeeling, uncaring universe, for practical purposes?

I agree. This is the limitation of the cosmological argument. It really only gets us as far as Deism, but hey, historically (since Descartes, anyway), thinkers progressed from theism to deism to naturalism, so I don't see why we theists can't just inch it in the other direction! And if we establish a deistic universe, then we can proceed to rule out lots and lots of other theories of the universe. Coming to a more accurate understanding of how the universe works is just better, because it can lead to a more accurate understanding of several other things which do have more practical applications. Practically, there is no distinction. But surely factual distinctions matter, even if the practical applications haven't been worked out, or even don't exist. Of course, that principle rests on the idea that truth is inherently better than non-truth, which is sort of undermined by the position you take later on:

So, if it posses, every quality possible to have, then wouldn't it contain contradictory qualities? Such as existance and non-existance, weightlessness and the weight of the universe, blindness and the ability to see all spectrums. Along with the traditional "omni paradoxes", such as "Can God create a boulder so heavy he can not lift it?", and the omniscience vs free will paradox, etc. But even more than that, I argue that perfection doesn't exist, not in any objective fashion, at least. It's all entirely subjective, depending on what qualities one likes and dislikes. There is nothing inherent about any property of anything that is perfect, or non-perfect, it just is.

Well, of course, you'll note that the argument says "perfection" rather than "quality". Evilness is (arguably) a "quality" but certainly not a "perfection". Ignorance is a "quality" but not a "perfection". But you don't agree that it is possible to have a perfection. So you're going to make me defend the concept of perfections? Really? Really, really? Okay, I don't quite know how to do this, but I'll try.

To me, this returns to your 2+2=4 thing. How can one defend the proposition "x is better than y." It is just inherently better. Knowledge is inherently better than ignorance. Order is inherently better than chaos. Being is inherently better than non-being. Truth is inherently better than non-truth. If you don't affirm at least some actual, inherent superiorities, then how is Martin Luther King Jr. better than Hitler? If knowledge is better than ignorance, then it is a perfection to have all knowledge and no ignorance. If justice is better than injustice, then it is a perfection to have all justice and no injustice. This is, in my opinion, just properly basic.

Also, the omni-paradoxes were solved, for me anyway, by the argument that "God cannot defy His own nature." Thus when Christians say "God can do anything," we really mean "God can do anything but contradict Himself." God cannot create a square circle, because to do so would be logically incoherent (disorderly) and He is a God of order. God cannot create an immovable object, because He can't violate Himself. That's probably an insufficient way of stating it; I don't know if it would stand up to scrutiny, but it makes sense to me. I should probably find a better defense of it.

I know it's an irrational feeling-based rant, but I feel compelled to answer it anyway, and you can't stop me! Organisms fight to survive, because to do anything else, would be impossible (or rather, if they didn't then they would die out, and wouldn't stick around to continue not fighting to survive). There is nothing inherently superior about survival, just that only the things which survive exist to be observed. For all we know, the dead organisms are enjoying a nice relaxing vacation at the beach in HeavenLand (tm).

Meh. My principle is that physical facts imply metaphysical realities. But I suppose I can't really use facts gleaned in this manner in defense of God, because the only logical justification I have for that principle is the idea of the "General Revelation" of God, the way in which God's creation reveals itself. That, and romantic poetry/Walt Whitman, which would go back to that whole "beauty-as-evidence" bit. But, yes, you're right. In the absence of God, there is no reason to believe that the fact that all organisms attempt to survive implies that being is better than nonbeing.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If you're aware of the existence of a work like Summa Theologica, how can you say there's no evidence for the existence of God?

Philosophies are not evidence.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I seriously believe that humans' final destiny is a putrefying corpse, and we have nothing to look forward to after that. For some, belief in God is an edifying experience that aids in growth, maturity, and intelligence. However for me, I can never permit myself to believe in such a thing so long as I am alive, even the possibility of a god does exist. Why? Because I would become complacent, and not live life to its fullest. I would never use my brain to its maximum capacity, since I know that I will be rewarded with "salvation" as long as I behave and believe faithfully. The possibility that God doesn't exist invigorates me, and motivates me to do my best and live life like there is no tomorrow (most of the time).

What if God doesn't exist, or doesn't even like us? Then you must take advantage of every living moment of your physical life. That's just the way I see things, no offense intended.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, failed was harsh language, but it wasn't intended to apply to you. It was intended to apply to people who make the specific statement, "there is no evidence for God". There is a difference between saying, as you do, "I have looked at evidence and I'm not convinced" or even "there may be evidence, but I am not interested in reading it," and making the wholly unfounded statement "there is no evidence for God". Even a theory that the scientific community discards has some evidence for it, or it would have been impossible to even bother to write about. If you're aware of the existence of a work like Summa Theologica, how can you say there's no evidence for the existence of God? Also, regarding your statement that expressing the arguments of brilliant thinkers is the job of believers, weren't the brilliant thinkers believers? Why is it a requirement that some hypothetical brigade of believers recite arguments, when the arguments in their best form are available, say, on the internet? In an argument, yes, it would be the believers responsibility to present the arguments for belief (that was good, btw). But my point is, when you make a minor decision, you look for evidence for and against. When you're making a decision as to whether or not God exists, which changes one's entire metaphysical understanding (and possibly, one's entire life), I would probably make at least a cursory glance at the evidence for and against. And my belief is that it's a part of good teaching, good scholarship, to at least acknowledge the existence of alternative views, and to not dismiss them as unfounded without at least being aware of them.

How about the statement "I have looked for evidence for God, and I have found none, so therefore I do not believe in God." Technically of course, that's not true. Even anecdotal evidence is evidence.

Now, I can't say that I've made enough study of evidence against God, but that's what this discussion is for, right? So I'm really not attacking you, Kangirl, because I really respect people like you who are at least passingly familiar with the fact that some very smart people have argued that God exists, even if you're not convinced by them. My belief is that you are incorrect, but as far as I'm concerned, my respect increases by several orders of magnitude when I find considered statements like yours and Costrin's than when I encounter statements that clearly have no basis in fact, i.e., "there is no evidence for God", unless the statement is qualified I believe in God, but I would never make such an obviously false statement as "there is no evidence for atheism" or "there is no evidence for Darwinism" or "there is no evidence for pantheism," because one trip to the library proves that such statements are demonstrably false.

I must focus on technicalities again. There can be no evidence for atheism, as atheism is a position, rather than a theory. It is the position of an absence of belief in God and/or theism. It makes no testable, unfalsifiable claims. However, the commonly misunderstood definition of atheism does, as it is a claim that God does not exist.

"There is no evidence for Darwinism" is of course false, but "there is no evidence for pantheism", is true. It's just the same as any other theistic position practically when concerning the evidence. Unless of course you redefine God, in which case it would be true by definition.

I did a fairly quick wikipedia look-over, and I believe that "before which space-time did not exist" is a conclusion taken from the "Hartle-Hawking state," which holds that space-time is finite. It may or may not be universally accepted, but I believe that it is fairly popular. I'm fairly certain that steady-state theory is discredited, but apparently there are theories that argue that the Big Bang does not inherently preclude an eternal universe, but these are (I think) tied up in highly speculative things like string theory.

I was addressing believers and nonbelievers. I wish that believers emphasized this stuff more, and I wish nonbelievers didn't dismiss it out of hand, or not know that it even existed.

Well, dismissing it out of hand is bad. If I'm doing that I trust you'll point that out to me, then later I can agree or disagree with it. However, not knowing it exists is quite a different problem, one I suspect would be mainly the problem of believers not properly educating people. At least in my case, you can't say I'm not looking, hence me participating in this debate!

What is "concrete proof" to you? Is it scientific evidence based on observable phenomena, and if not, how much broader is it than this?

Concrete proof to me, would be to take a theory. One that makes testable, falsifiable claims, and to conduct experiments testing these claims. If the results then were as such that they could not be easily dismissed because of random chance or placebo or whatever, then that would constitute concrete proof. For example, if one were to conduct an experiment testing the percentage of prayers fulfilled, and it was significantly greater than that of random chance.

Costrin, I started my response early in the day, and then I added and subtracted at various times in the day until I posted it.

Ah, I tend to work in one giant burst.

Okay, so I understand your position better now, I think. What I don't understand is how it follows that this position precludes the Cosmological argument. Perhaps if I rephrased it as such:

If the universe began to exist, then it has a cause
The universe began to exist
Therefore it has a cause.

The evidence for "if the universe began to exist, then it has a cause" is the inductive argument "everything that I have seen that begins to exist has a cause." The evidence for "the universe began to exist" is the Big Bang Theory. The Big Bang Theory in this case is merely evidence for the evidence, and is in no way in any sort of "direct competition" with "God exists". I don't think it violates your principle.

Evidence 1) Anything that begins to exist has a cause
-Support: everything that I have seen that begins to exist has a cause.
Evidence 2) The universe began to exist
-Support: The Big Bang Theory (every time I type this, I keep thinking about the TV show. Okay, sorry, just wanted to say that.)

There's a reason inductive reasoning(wiki article ahoy!) is viewed with wariness. Though, I think in this case, it's as reasonable an assumption as you can get.

Anyway, your making me look up stuff, instead of just pointing out logical fallacies, congratulations, you have gotten much further than many theists.

Big Bang theory does not prove or disprove whether the universe began to exist. It does provide evidence for how it got to it's current state, but everything before the Big Bang is unknown. So whether or not the universe began to exist or not, is not proven one way or another by the Big Bang theory.

Without any evidence associated with the earliest instant of the expansion, the Big Bang theory cannot and does not provide any explanation for such an initial condition; rather, it describes and explains the general evolution of the universe since that instant.

Source

I agree. This is the limitation of the cosmological argument. It really only gets us as far as Deism, but hey, historically (since Descartes, anyway), thinkers progressed from theism to deism to naturalism, so I don't see why we theists can't just inch it in the other direction! And if we establish a deistic universe, then we can proceed to rule out lots and lots of other theories of the universe. Coming to a more accurate understanding of how the universe works is just better, because it can lead to a more accurate understanding of several other things which do have more practical applications. Practically, there is no distinction. But surely factual distinctions matter, even if the practical applications haven't been worked out, or even don't exist. Of course, that principle rests on the idea that truth is inherently better than non-truth, which is sort of undermined by the position you take later on:

Yeah, I agree here.

Well, of course, you'll note that the argument says "perfection" rather than "quality". Evilness is (arguably) a "quality" but certainly not a "perfection". Ignorance is a "quality" but not a "perfection". But you don't agree that it is possible to have a perfection. So you're going to make me defend the concept of perfections? Really? Really, really? Okay, I don't quite know how to do this, but I'll try.

To me, this returns to your 2+2=4 thing. How can one defend the proposition "x is better than y." It is just inherently better. Knowledge is inherently better than ignorance. Order is inherently better than chaos. Being is inherently better than non-being. Truth is inherently better than non-truth. If you don't affirm at least some actual, inherent superiorities, then how is Martin Luther King Jr. better than Hitler? If knowledge is better than ignorance, then it is a perfection to have all knowledge and no ignorance. If justice is better than injustice, then it is a perfection to have all justice and no injustice. This is, in my opinion, just properly basic.

We may have to agree to disagree here. MLK is not inherently better than Hitler. MLK is seen as superior though, because the majority of humanity agrees with him. However, racists would disagree. Perfection, superiority, right or wrong, are all subjective values assigned by the observer. Depending on the perspective on takes, Hitler was clearly better. He nearly led Germany to dominance, he subdued or killed many of Germany's competitors, and MLK led to interracial mixing, ruining the purity of each race. This view is just as objectively equally valid as the common view.

Course, I don't mean to imply that I hold that view. The contrary. Taken from a broader perspective of the survival and peace of all humanity, then it seems clear that MLK was vastly superior (although one can never truly know). But it all depends on how you define your goals.

Knowledge is better than ignorance. But what about the saying, "ignorance is bliss"? Order is better than chaos, but wouldn't that depend highly on the kind of order? Certainly a totalitarian society (think 1984) has the highest amount of order, but is that really better? Well, you could say that justice is better than injustice, and a totalitarian society is unjust. But that is two contradictory goals, then. Truth is better than non-truth, but the truth can hurt. Is no pain better than pain? Yes? But what about "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger?"

Basically, the reason society is able to function, is that they agree to common subjective definitions of these things. But, they are still subjective.

Also, the omni-paradoxes were solved, for me anyway, by the argument that "God cannot defy His own nature." Thus when Christians say "God can do anything," we really mean "God can do anything but contradict Himself." God cannot create a square circle, because to do so would be logically incoherent (disorderly) and He is a God of order. God cannot create an immovable object, because He can't violate Himself. That's probably an insufficient way of stating it; I don't know if it would stand up to scrutiny, but it makes sense to me. I should probably find a better defense of it.

Hmm. But I don't think this solve the free-will versus omniscience contradiction. God knows everything, so he knows what we are going to do, but supposedly we can choose to do whatever we want. But if God knows what we're going to do before we even do it, are we really making a choice?
Well, upon further thought, I suppose it does solve this dilemma. God isn't actually omniscient. He doesn't know what we are going to do. But then, does he really know anything in the future? Due to the butterfly effect, our actions would resonate around the universe, and make the future unknowable. But I suppose he could know everything else, including the past, and non time-related data.

Meh. My principle is that physical facts imply metaphysical realities. But I suppose I can't really use facts gleaned in this manner in defense of God, because the only logical justification I have for that principle is the idea of the "General Revelation" of God, the way in which God's creation reveals itself. That, and romantic poetry/Walt Whitman, which would go back to that whole "beauty-as-evidence" bit. But, yes, you're right. In the absence of God, there is no reason to believe that the fact that all organisms attempt to survive implies that being is better than nonbeing.

Well, it wouldn't be logical, but if this works for you, more power to you. As I stated previously in this thread, I have no problem with irrationality (and to do so would itself be irrational), as long as people don't try and push it upon others unwillingly.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Is the question asking how I as an NT understand what God is?...

Could life be only the accumulation of atoms reacting only to the smallest frequencies/vibrations created and emitted within the Universe?
Could it be that there was no intentional "Grand Design" behind this existence because observation/and "conscience" is only a side effect produced by this vibration?

When vibrating sand at different frequencies you can create symmetrical shapes and patterns with it,... Everything is formed by very specific frequencies and when these frequencies change slightly over billions of years, so does the form.

What is so special about the Human species that allows us to have faith in that we have a particular purpose, in the macrocosm scheme of things?

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
Philosophies are not evidence.

Ummm... shall I go over the difference between inductive and deductive arguments, or how science makes philosophical assumptions? This would be a great argument to have on another thread, but really quickly (and admittedly, these are just off the dome, so they're not great, but they might work as points of discussion):

1) What physical evidence tells you that it's a good idea to tell the truth and a bad idea to lie? (Science is predicated on telling the truth about findings and research)
2) What physical evidence tells you that it is better to know than to not know (what's the point of science if there's no motivation to know scientific knowledge?)
3) What physical evidence tells you that your perception is at all reliable? (Science assumes that what we see, measure, count, etc., is accurate, reliable, and repeatable)

I seriously believe that humans' final destiny is a putrefying corpse, and we have nothing to look forward to after that. For some, belief in God is an edifying experience that aids in growth, maturity, and intelligence. However for me, I can never permit myself to believe in such a thing so long as I am alive, even the possibility of a god does exist. Why? Because I would become complacent, and not live life to its fullest. I would never use my brain to its maximum capacity, since I know that I will be rewarded with "salvation" as long as I behave and believe faithfully. The possibility that God doesn't exist invigorates me, and motivates me to do my best and live life like there is no tomorrow (most of the time).

What if God doesn't exist, or doesn't even like us? Then you must take advantage of every living moment of your physical life. That's just the way I see things, no offense intended.

You know, I can sympathize with this position. I could quote Pascal's wager at you, but really I understand what you're saying. This is another thing that is entirely the church's fault, and the best answer to you is that Christ took advantage of absolutely every moment of His life, and Christian's example is to be Christ. We don't achieve it, but I firmly believe (and would love to talk about) the idea that God energizes and propels us to live our lives to the fullest. In fact, let me paraphrase a C.S. Lewis quote that might apply here. It comes from an eschatological POV, and I know that turns a lot of people off, but just think about it: Christianity teachers that every action you take moves each individual whose life you affect towards being a creature of such unimaginable beauty that you would be tempted to go down to your knees and worship them, or towards being a creature of such hideousness that it would shatter your heart to so much as look at them. That's not a great argument, but it is a great statement of what should motivate Christians to live their lives to the fullest as well.

Christianity replaces "at any moment I may die" with "at any moment God might come back." I am not defending the veracity of these propositions, but merely indicating their efficacy in motivation.

Furthermore, I don't know if you work like this, but for me the joy of using my brain is discovering something new, exciting, and amazing. Well, Christian thinkers have that same wonder of discovery, with the added dimension that this discovery helps us to better understand the God who we believe created us and gives us purpose. It's like everything gets counted twice, once for its own sake and once for what is shows about God.

Finally (and here's a real feelings-based rant), one of the most significant tenets of Christianity, one of the ideas most fundamental to Christianity, is the idea that love is the greatest motivator. Not fear (of punishment, of running out of time, of death of what-you-will), not duty, not compulsion (because Christianity holds that God could compel and chooses not to), not manipulation, not hatred, not, contrary to everything that appears to be the case, self-interest, but love, is the motivation whereby God has choosen to move His people. And that, to return to another point, is beauty-as-evidence. Because it makes moral sense, which is just as valid as objective rational sense, that love is a better motivator than fear. It agrees with the intuition we recieve when we look at a baby and see beauty. Okay, there's my rant.

(And Costrin, I really want to respond, but I'm busy right now, so I'll read it ASAP.)

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
How about the statement "I have looked for evidence for God, and I have found none, so therefore I do not believe in God." Technically of course, that's not true. Even anecdotal evidence is evidence.

That statement is significantly better, when you define evidence as "testable and falsifiable." But it's false to the point of ludicrousness when you broaden evidence to include, like you said, anecdotal evidence, deductive logical argument, appeals to moral law, and, my favorite, beauty-as-evidence, or what might be better stated as correspondence to the truths that Plato and Descartes say are self-evident and available to reason (or more accurately, "rational intuition" to use Plato's--or his translator's--language).

I must focus on technicalities again. There can be no evidence for atheism, as atheism is a position, rather than a theory. It is the position of an absence of belief in God and/or theism. It makes no testable, unfalsifiable claims. However, the commonly misunderstood definition of atheism does, as it is a claim that God does not exist.

"There is no evidence for Darwinism" is of course false, but "there is no evidence for pantheism", is true. It's just the same as any other theistic position practically when concerning the evidence. Unless of course you redefine God, in which case it would be true by definition.

And there is logical evidence for Pantheism, but now that I'm aware of how you use the word evidence, I would probably agree that Pantheism makes untestible and unfalsifiable claims.

Oooh, that's good. Atheism defined as "an absence of belief" rather than a claim "God does not exist." I suppose it would put the burden of proof on the theist, at least until the atheist makes any negative claim against Christianity, which would necessarily be support for the claim "God does not exist". Of course, the two statements have no pragmatic difference whatsoever, but logic and semantics are like twin brothers (thanks, Aristotle), so I don't have any choice but to deal with it.

So then, the refusal to affirm is a position, whereas an affirmation or a negation is a theory. That's something interesting to think on.

Well, dismissing it out of hand is bad. If I'm doing that I trust you'll point that out to me, then later I can agree or disagree with it. However, not knowing it exists is quite a different problem, one I suspect would be mainly the problem of believers not properly educating people. At least in my case, you can't say I'm not looking, hence me participating in this debate!

No, no, no not at all. I haven't been able to catch you in what I thought to be such a simple error. If I have to be specific, those comments were directed towards individuals such as withoutaface and lazyhappy who genuinely believe, not that there is no convincing evidence, but that there is no evidence whatsoever, for Christianity. Of course, now that I've talked with you more, I realize that their position might have been that there's no testable and falsifiable evidence, which would be less lamentable, but still, the statement, just on its face, really really bothers me. And I don't think that it's just the fault of believers (although it's definately partially our fault) but also people who refuse to accept the existence of God yet also refuse to look for evidence that God does exist. It's just the responsible intellectual thing to do, which is why we're having this conversation, not only to convince but also to learn. But I'm much more willing to budge on this point that others; it could very well be that believers are the only one's whose responsibility it is to present this evidence. I suppose that's not one of those deeply-held, unshakeable ENFP values (although I do get into those further down...).

Concrete proof to me, would be to take a theory. One that makes testable, falsifiable claims, and to conduct experiments testing these claims. If the results then were as such that they could not be easily dismissed because of random chance or placebo or whatever, then that would constitute concrete proof. For example, if one were to conduct an experiment testing the percentage of prayers fulfilled, and it was significantly greater than that of random chance.

Darn it; that bit about looking up stuff officially applies to you as well. I remember that Alvin Plantinga has an awesome refutation of falsifiability and verifiability, but I'd have to go read it before I could present it coherently. But... I do remember a little bit of someone (Kant, I think?) who completely dismissed inductive evidence (science always yields inductive, probable conclusions) being "concrete" because deductive arguments provide necessary conclusions, while inductive arguments provide only probably conclusions, and I would rather have logical necessity than likelihood. Just a thought. I think this is another one of those fundamental points of difference (just like the one you pointed out below), which is your definition of evidence. I'll probably argue about that next, but like I said, I have to look it up in order to do anything even semi-effective.

Ah, I tend to work in one giant burst.

I wonder if that has anything at all to do with type differences. It seems like the kind of thing that would just be a preference.

There's a reason inductive reasoning(wiki article ahoy!) is viewed with wariness. Though, I think in this case, it's as reasonable an assumption as you can get.

Anyway, your making me look up stuff, instead of just pointing out logical fallacies, congratulations, you have gotten much further than many theists.

Big Bang theory does not prove or disprove whether the universe began to exist. It does provide evidence for how it got to it's current state, but everything before the Big Bang is unknown. So whether or not the universe began to exist or not, is not proven one way or another by the Big Bang theory.

Source

Yay problem of induction! I just learned problem of induction last semester, and I know Augustine has some stuff about that, so it's lookup time again. But yes, good point. I made a similar one above (not the same argument, but you know, similar conclusions) using Kant.

Okay, I've studied up some, and here's some arguments for the finitude of the universe. I haven't gotten to the ones that are Big Bang = finitude, but maybe I'll find those later. For the moment:

1) Philosophical absurdity of an actual infinite. Say that there existed a library containing an infinite number of books. Say again that half of the books were red and half of the books were black. If there was indeed an actual infinite number of books, then all of the red books + all of the black books would = all of the red books, because infinity/2 = infinity. So each "half" of the books is also all of the books. Inductively unlikely and it violates the law of noncontradition: how can "half" be "all"? It's a philosophical absurdity, and more significantly, it undermines the very laws of logic whereby we came to conclude that the universe is infinite. Logic (hypothetically) tells us that the universe is infinite, but the universe is infinite implies that logic doesn't work.

2) Furthermore, imagine that every book in the library had a number on its spine. Since there are an infinite number of books, every number that exists is represented on the spine of one of the books. Say then that we added one more book to the number of books. There would be no number that we could add to this number of books; it would be logically impossible to count. Yet inductively, we are familiar with the principle that everything that exists in reality can be counted. Furthermore, say we just assigned the book the number infinity + 1, and we have infinity + 1 books. But infinity + 1 = infinity, so then we would have added a book and not added a book, because the number of books did not increase (it is the same number).

The idea is that the same thing that applies to the number of books applies to the number of days, hours, seconds, minutes, half-lives of uranium, or whatever measure of time one chooses, so that an actual infinite number of time demarcations is impossible. By the way, both of these arguments are shamelessly plagiarized from "Theism, Atheism, and Big Bang Cosmology," which is a book co-written by William Lane Craig which would appear to address the issue from a fairly balanced perspective (it was also co-written by an atheist arguing against Craig). It looks to be good reading (and quite a few pages are apparently readable on Google Books for free.

Yeah, I agree here.

So then, if one could prove that the Big Bang actually implies the finitude of the universe (or if the finitude of the universe could be established in some other way), then you might have a rational reason to at least seriously consider deism...?

We may have to agree to disagree here. MLK is not inherently better than Hitler. MLK is seen as superior though, because the majority of humanity agrees with him. However, racists would disagree. Perfection, superiority, right or wrong, are all subjective values assigned by the observer. Depending on the perspective on takes, Hitler was clearly better. He nearly led Germany to dominance, he subdued or killed many of Germany's competitors, and MLK led to interracial mixing, ruining the purity of each race. This view is just as objectively equally valid as the common view.

Course, I don't mean to imply that I hold that view. The contrary. Taken from a broader perspective of the survival and peace of all humanity, then it seems clear that MLK was vastly superior (although one can never truly know). But it all depends on how you define your goals.

If Hitler's perspective is just as objectively valid as MLKs (and I'm not ready to grant that, but defending objective morality requires God, IMO, or as I might say, God is part of the "necessary structure" of support for objectivity of morality, no matter what Plato and Aristotle say), then this would be a good enough reason for me to reject a purely rational and objective point of view. This would disqualify me from rationality, I know, but I would sooner concede the insufficiency of logic than subjectivity of morals.

You have a really complex take on this issue; it appears to me to be more complex than simple relativism. Before I attack it, let me attempt to understand it better. The Olympics analogy was very effective earlier (which is odd, because generally I detest sports metaphors). So, a given thing is only "better" or "worse" relative to a given situation or set of goals. So "good" and "bad" are really "effective" and "ineffective," no?

But then, how do you condemn a murderer? Heck, how do you justify punishing criminals at all? Good thieves are very, very effective. Serial killers are effective. Should, then, they be praised, rather than censured? Is this a Nietzschean system, wherein, since the most effective is the most good, a super-effective individual (ubermensch-like) arises and "defines" morality for a given people group?

The trouble with this argument is that many theists make the claim that God is necessary for objective morality, so I may or may not be arguing against myself. Certainly God is necessary for divine command ethics (which is sort of obvious from the title) but whether or not He is necessary for Platonic/Aristotelian "virtue" ethics, or whether or not virtue ethics can be defended by anything other than the "self-evident" claim, remains to be seen. However, you have effectively pointed out to me that the ontological argument (at least as stated by Descartes) requires the existence of objective morality, and so is just as susceptible to the simple claim that objective morality does not exist as the moral or anthropological argument (which I won't bother to produce).

Knowledge is better than ignorance. But what about the saying, "ignorance is bliss"? Order is better than chaos, but wouldn't that depend highly on the kind of order? Certainly a totalitarian society (think 1984) has the highest amount of order, but is that really better? Well, you could say that justice is better than injustice, and a totalitarian society is unjust. But that is two contradictory goals, then. Truth is better than non-truth, but the truth can hurt. Is no pain better than pain? Yes? But what about "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger?"

Ah, this is covered under the idea of hierarchy of values. Certainly, at certain times the good of knowledge (as opposed to ignorance) is superceded by the good of mental stability. Certainly, at certain times, the good of order is superceded by the good of freedom. To make it even clearer, the Christian would say that the good of sexual relations (because pleasure is a good, although many Christian denominations would refute that opinon) is superceded by the good of having one sexual partnership throughout one's life. The Christian would say that the good of a woman choosing what to do with her own body is superceded by the good of protecting the life of a fetus, in the case of abortion. And yet, although one good is superceded by another, in all of these cases, each one of those things were a good and never ceased to be a good. Because one good is not the best, it does not follow that that said good ceases to be an objective good; it is merely not best in that situation.

So yes, pain is better than non-pain, and if we lived in an ideal world, pain would not be necessary to gain knowledge, because all possible goods would be actual in every situation. But since we live in a flawed world, not all possible goods are attainable, and one good must be sacrificed for another. It's like moral economics.

Basically, the reason society is able to function, is that they agree to common subjective definitions of these things. But, they are still subjective.

Again, your position is tough. It's sophisticated, I think. So you'd even agree that all cultures can make a differentiation between murder and non-muder killing, without there being any objective differentiation?

Hmm. But I don't think this solve the free-will versus omniscience contradiction. God knows everything, so he knows what we are going to do, but supposedly we can choose to do whatever we want. But if God knows what we're going to do before we even do it, are we really making a choice?
Well, upon further thought, I suppose it does solve this dilemma. God isn't actually omniscient. He doesn't know what we are going to do. But then, does he really know anything in the future? Due to the butterfly effect, our actions would resonate around the universe, and make the future unknowable. But I suppose he could know everything else, including the past, and non time-related data.

Okay, I was trying to re-figure out the Molinist position well enough to state it coherently here. Let me know if I've done a decent job. I think that some Christians that hold to Molinism would argue that God IS actually omniscient, but uses a process more like eternally completed deduction to arrive at His knowledge: He has "foreknowledge" which roughly corresponds to your "non time-related data". This would include (but not be at all limited to) perfect knowledge of how people (who He created) work, sort of like a super-Shakespeare, as well as the inherent characteristics (insofar as inherent characteristics exist, which I suppose is not at all if you're an existence-precedes-essence person) of all of the people who would ever live. In consequence, God would have "middle knowledge" of counterfactuals, that is, he would not so much foreknow as predict with 100% accuracy what person x would do in situation y. This would allow Him to know (or perhaps more accurately, imagine) every possible universe He could create; that is, every possible chain of events depending upon which actions He Himself took. Then He actualized (created) one particular possible universe, which is the actual universe in which we live. Consequently, at the creation of this particular universe, He did know exactly what would and will happen throughout time on the basis of His actions and His perfect prediction of how humans would/will behave. I think it's like your system, except that the omniscience of God allows Him to "figure out" what will happen despite the butterfly effect, and furthermore, He did this "figuring out" before He created the universe. Of course, this falls apart if there's something about the butterfly effect that makes knowledge of the future logically impossible rather than too difficult for anyone to do (rather like the difference between infinity and uncountability)

It's not much for Ockham's Razor, but it's a pretty good theory.

Well, it wouldn't be logical, but if this works for you, more power to you. As I stated previously in this thread, I have no problem with irrationality (and to do so would itself be irrational), as long as people don't try and push it upon others unwillingly.

Hmmm. I probably agree with that, although it might have implications which I find distasteful. (Which is more of my feeling-ness. I say, "can this be true" and then decide why it is true or false. This is not to say, of course, that I could never be convinced that something I decided "couldn't" be true isn't true, but merely that it would take a lot longer, and probably some-ick-"soul-searching" (I hate outworn terminology)). I really think some good study of Augustine would be productive to me in this discussion (which is really somewhat of a concession; I've just about run out of my own resources, so I should probably capitulate, right?)

Okay, my post is now less disastrously incomplete (and better spelled).

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Science is not a universal tool for reaching conclusions. It surprises me how many atheists assume this.

I thought the same.

... for alot of atheists that I come across, say on youtube or forums (hardcore pro-atheism forums, that is), being an atheist is one thing, which is generally OK, but picking up debates and arguments on it is another.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Is the question asking how I as an NT understand what God is?...

Could life be only the accumulation of atoms reacting only to the smallest frequencies/vibrations created and emitted within the Universe?
Could it be that there was no intentional "Grand Design" behind this existence because observation/and "conscience" is only a side effect produced by this vibration?

When vibrating sand at different frequencies you can create symmetrical shapes and patterns with it,... Everything is formed by very specific frequencies and when these frequencies change slightly over billions of years, so does the form.

What is so special about the Human species that allows us to have faith in that we have a particular purpose, in the macrocosm scheme of things?

Exactly. Our ability to rationalize self-defense mechanisms like faith in a God, increases the likelihood that this is all fake. That's what special about us: our ability to bullshit.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I thought the same.

... for alot of atheists that I come across, say on youtube or forums (hardcore pro-atheism forums, that is), being an atheist is one thing, which is generally OK, but picking up debates and arguments on it is another.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying it's bad to debate about atheism? I don't think your saying that, so could you clarify?

Okay, my post is diasterously incomplete, but I'm typing on a computer I won't have access to for a minute, so I'm going to post it and then edit it later.

Mmk, I'll just make some small comments then wait for the rest of your post.

So then, if one could prove that the Big Bang actually implies the finitude of the universe (or if the finitude of the universe could be established in some other way), then you might have a rational reason to at least seriously consider deism...?

Yup.

Again, your position is tough. It's sophisticated, I think. So you'd even agree that all cultures can make a differentiation between murder and non-muder killing, without there being any objective differentiation?

Yes. Cultures can collectively agree on morals that they find benefit their society according their goals (likely survival, prosperity and happiness). But the denied actions are still just as objectively neutral as any other. Basically, it's a sort of selfishness that binds. Individuals don't want to be killed, assaulted, have their stuff stolen, etc. So they make laws that deny these actions, with appropriate consequences. Combine this with the "good feeling" you get from helping others, and people are able to coexist mostly peacefully (clearly it's not perfect though).

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There is no evidence for the existance of some super-person in the sky so I have no reason to believe in the existance such a being, let alone worship it. People that say "you just gotta have FAITH!!!" make me want to bash my head again the wall.

I get rather annoyed when religious people accuse us non-believers in wanting to get rid of all spiritualness, wonder, and mystery from the world, which is total nonsense. We just don't resort to the concept of "god," a concept I actually find to be an insult to the universe, to explain such feelings.