• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP and affection

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I recently read in D. Keirsey's Please understand me that NTs really dislike public display of affection (even though I'm not sure what he exactly means by "affection").
That puzzled me a bit about an INTP friend and I happened to ask an INTX colleague about this. He said he didn't dislike affection but wasn't too good at being affectionate himself.
In my experience with this INTP, she seems pretty stiff if I give her a hug and doesn't say much when I tell her I appreciate her in a way or another, but I feel like she's uneasy about it because she doesn't know what to do rather than because she dislikes it. Often, after I've expressed my affection, she won't answer, but will say something nice later. Many days later, sometimes. Most of the times, it has to be read between the lines (very much between the lines). Also, her body language seems to speak too; a slight smile or silent, wide-opened eyes generally follow such moments. I also notice that the event that bound us as friends and led her to open up to me was a moment when I expressed my compassion to her because she was sick.

An ENTP friend told me she will often react coldly to something touching like this, but that afterwards, when she is alone, she'll think about it and feel emotional. "We are very sensitive deep inside," she said.

Sometimes, I'd really like to give my friend a hug because I'm glad to see her, but I don't dare to because of how strange she reacts to it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't think the rule is hard and fast, but if your s.o. is that way, oh well. I don't have a huge problem with PDA; I've given a girl a huge kiss in the middle of a bookstore.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yes, same plank. Very tall and thin, and stiff if you hug her. But she grows nicer and warmer, it seems to me.
My advice, whether you want it or not, would be not to assume there's some deep emotional current running through her that she doesn't want to share. INTPs really are unemotional most of the time.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can relate to that - I'm not one for PDA. I dislike it a lot when people start lip-locking near me in public and try not to do it myself.

In my experience with my INTP, she seems pretty stiff if I give her a hug and doesn't say much when I tell her I appreciate her in a way or another, but I feel like she's uneasy about it because she doesn't know what to do rather than because she dislikes it. Often, after I've expressed my affection, she won't answer, but will say something nice later. Many days later, sometimes. Most of the times, it has to be read between the lines (very much between the lines).
Yes, this sounds a bit like me, too (except the stiffness). I'd even rather initiate it independently than respond to affection because I'm either caught off-guard or, when I am expected to respond, afraid that I'm "doing it wrong".

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I can relate to that - I'm not one for PDA. I dislike it a lot when people start lip-locking near me in public and try not to do it myself.

Oh, I can understand this perfectly. I hate it myself.

I suppose INTPs will like affection that they can think about, i.e. something said rather than done (in the physical). My friend generally responds to this better. But she has to think about it first (which is why the response will come much later).

The stiffness is probably linked to being caught off-guard, I guess.

But what is an INTP family like? Will there be any hugs at all, or everyone is cold and unemotional with each other ?

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I suppose INTPs will like affection that they can think about, i.e. something said rather than done (in the physical).
I don't find this true in my own case, but don't rule it out for your friend.

My friend generally responds to this better. But she has to think about it first (which is why the response will come much later).
Makes sense.

The stiffness is probably linked to being caught off-guard, I guess.
Makes sense, too.

But what is an INTP family like? Will there be any hugs at all, or everyone is cold an unemotional with each other ?
A whole family? Wow. I thought there was 1 per family rationing of intps.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recently read in D. Keirsey's Please understand me that NTs really dislike public demonstration of affection (even though I'm no sure what he exactly means by "affection").
That puzzled me a bit about an INTP friend and I happened to ask an INTX colleague about this. He said he didn't dislike affection but wasn't too good at being affectionate himself.
In my experience with my INTP, she seems pretty stiff if I give her a hug and doesn't say much when I tell her I appreciate her in a way or another, but I feel like she's uneasy about it because she doesn't know what to do rather than because she dislikes it. Often, after I've expressed my affection, she won't answer, but will say something nice later. Many days later, sometimes. Most of the times, it has to be read between the lines (very much between the lines). Also, her body language seems to speak too; a slight smile or silent, wide-opened eyes generally follow such moments. I also notice that the event that bound us as friends and led her to open up to me was a moment when I expressed my compassion to her because she was sick and called her "pitchounette" which means "sweetie" or something like this in french.

An ENTP friend told me she will often react coldly to something touching like this, but that afterwards, when she is alone, she'll think about it and feel emotional. "We are very sensitive deep inside," she said.

Sometimes, I'd really like to give my friend a hug because I'm glad to see her, but I don't dare to because of how strange she reacts to it.

YOUR INTP?
That's a bad start right there. She's not your girlfriend.
Don't hug her: she doesn't like it. The fact that you are obsessing about this suggests that she has good reason.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
A whole family? Wow. I thought there was 1 per family rationing of intps.

:D Yeah, a whole family would be something to see. I've always wanted to see my friend's family, but never had the occasion. I think they are three NTs in that bunch by the way she talks about them. Her dad is an architect and very NT-like (I've met him once). Her little brother might sound like one too, although he might be SP, I find them similar sometimes. Her sister and mother are probably NFs or SJs. She says her mother is very religious so that might mean NF if she believes from the heart, or SJ if she kind of does it out of tradition and duty. Can't tell. But she is not alone as INTP.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
YOUR INTP?
Don't hug her: she doesn't like it. The fact that you are obsessing about this suggests that she has good reason.

I think you're reading too much into the choice of words. Similarly, I think you are trying to fill in too many blanks.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
YOUR INTP?

Oh my word, cool off. :huh:
I'm not obsessing, it's just weird compared to other types.

I've noticed she responds strangely to hugs from anyone.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know if you ever gave a hug to a plank
Not that this is relevant or helping anything, but that line still kills me. I'm thinking of changing my sig back to that again.

And I hug planks all the time. They won't even let me into the lumberyard at Menards anymore.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Not that this is relevant or helping anything, but that line still kills me. I'm thinking of changing my sig back to that again.

And I hug planks all the time. They won't even let me into the lumberyard at Menards anymore.

:D Ha ha!
We both work at Réno-Depôt, by the way. That's a renovation store in Québec-they sell a lot of wood.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
in my view, the aversion towards public displays of affection has more to do with ethics, civility, respect towards others. Once alone, it's a totally different ballgame

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh my word, cool off. :huh:
I'm not obsessing, it's just weird compared to other types.

I've noticed she responds strangely to hugs from anyone.

Then don't do it. It's very simple. What's the problem?
Clearly she doesn't like it.

STOP HUGGING THIS WOMAN AT ONCE!

I put it in J terms so you'd understand.

I think you're reading too much into the choice of words. Similarly, I think you are trying to fill in too many blanks.

Perhaps. I do that.

Jack misconstrued the OP and thought she was talking about her S.O though so I'm not the only one. This is the second post from this person on the same subject.
I'm sorry, but I think that is WEIRD.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
And I think it's cute you're defending a person you have a complete inadequate understanding of because you think of yourself as her..... awwww :)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ Is that what I'm doing? Yeah, that is cute. That sounds just like me too.

Or I could just be attacking weird random INTP-hugging chick.
Nah.... Attacking isn't my style.

Who the fuck are you again?

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
She probably doesn't like you much man; back off.