• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Shadow functions- INTP

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Can someone possible explain the whole theory of "shadow functions" to me, and possible what it means for an INTP?

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
To sum it up short.

When you're pissed of you become an evil ESFJ.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only when the morning sun blinds your eyes.

The shadow is ahead when you do not see the sun.

*Pokes wildcat with a stick*

Dude...he is SO stoned right now! :party:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To sum it up short.

Basically. The idea is that your normal ways of handling things (strongest functions) come up short and can't solve a problem/situation. The extreme stress leaves your mind frantically looking for a new option, and you use functions that you hardly ever deal with (weaker functions a.k.a. "shadow" functions?). So your personality is turned upside-down, kind of...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hokum. ESFJ is the last type I act like, no matter how I feel. And angry ESFJs don't act a bit like INTPs either.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
To sum it up short.

No. Shadow functions for the INTP are Te, Ni, Se, Fi.

I don't think they apply very often. I don't really know much about them.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ok, thanks. I was able to find a measly amount of info on the net. Can anyone recommend any good sources of info on this subject, and books or websites?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Can someone possible explain the whole theory of "shadow functions" to me, and possible what it means for an INTP?

Whose shadow theory? The details differ depending on which interpretation you refer to.

Shadow functions are, in general, those one tends to use unconsciously and ignore when operating normally. In fact, the functions can become more likely to malfunction when too much attention is paid to them, than when they are allowed to function unconsciously and as a supplement to your stronger functions.

According to one model, one begins to manifest negative, distorted characteristics of the opposite type under stress or illness. In an INTPs case, this would be ESFJ. In practice, this means an INTP shows immature Si and Fe characteristics under stress. Note that these traits are normally shown by projecting them onto others while failing to recognize them in oneself, rather than in a simple, direct way.

According to another model, the first four functions are conscious functions, and the other four are unconscious. Therefore an INTPs shadow in this system would involve Te, Ni, Fi, and Se, and thus involve a mix of negative/destructive NTJ and SFP behaviors. Again, there's usually a degree of projection and denial associated with the shadow.

Illict91

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
From researching about "shadow" functions, it can be concluded that they are either destructive or supportive to your main functions.
In the case of the INTP:
The dominant function of Introverted Thinking can be supported by the role of Extraverted Thinking. In this instance, once you have applied Ti, Te will help you further to develop your analysis, plan etc. So in other words, you can be competent in applying Te however it will be used with narrow application since it requires greater strength to use it independently.

They in a sense follow your dominant functions pattern, with the exception of a reversed E/I mode. So depending on your individual development, Te and Ni might be functions which are used easily for a handful of INTP's (bearing in mind that shadow processes strengthen over time).
The shadow processes are by far, not the most lethal or worst processes if they are used consciously. (Ask yourself, would my Ni be weaker then using Fe more openly.) Chances are in the INTP, not really because both Feeling functions aren't used considerably :angry: and so Shadow processes just determine the helpfulness towards the Dominant Functions as opposed to actually being a set pattern of unproductive modes.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. Shadow functions for the INTP are Te, Ni, Se, Fi.

I don't think they apply very often. I don't really know much about them.

So that would mean they would act like evil ENTJ's?

Grublet

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
AVC
So should ENTPs get along best with INTPs since they both share Ne/Ti, likewise with ENTJs and INTJs and their Te/Ni?

Here's an illustration.

1bB8w

xNTPs have the opposite function of xNTJs it seems. I suppose this works for all types? Sorry I'm new to all this.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So should ENTPs get along best with INTPs since they both share Ne/Ti, likewise with ENTJs and INTJs and their Te/Ni?

Here's an illustration.

1bB8w

xNTPs have the opposite function of xNTJs it seems. I suppose this works for all types? Sorry I'm new to all this.

from what i have noticed, NTJs dont really understand NTPs, but i dont think this says anything about how they get along.

what comes to shadow function, shadow means the opposite of your ego(central operating system in the field of consciousness), so if your dominant function is T, it is shadowed by F, I has an E shadow etc.

some new school theories(which i call bullshit) say that shadow of Ti is Te, which is just misuse of the word shadow in its original sense and has quite different definition for shadow that the original typology had.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am a shadow function.

The medium I apply my brain power to is a learned one, because of my father's work ethic of
'Work on your act in your day job before you act at work.'
Was around when I was growing up.

"Kinda made my inny an outy."

Arkigos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
xxx

Here's an illustration.

1bB8w

In my experience, yes. NTP and NTJ butt heads a lot, I find. I sorta want to punch every NTJ I know in the throat just to watch them struggle in vain for breath - SHADOW FUNCTION PUNCH!!! - but only kinda. Whereas I get along smashingly with all the ENTPs I know. Kindred spirits. We just dream up cool ideas all day and then they try to get me to implement for them... and then I don't and then we get a bit frustrated... but then we go back to the cool ideas.

I really wish I could get along with NTJs - they seem like they'd have a lot more follow-through with ideas. The problem is, they so internalize their ideas that there is not a lot of room for discussions... and the complaining about everything thing gets really old really fast.