• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] Are ENTJs manipulative?

theplacesyoullgo

Your gut feelings, please. Are ENTJs more manipulative than any other type?

I'm ENTJ (moderately weak E, very strong N) and have been accused of being manipulative a handful of times in my life - but I wasn't consciously trying to manipulate anyone.

redacted

What do you mean by manipulative? Convincing? Yes.

Other types are quite manipulative too. I've been called extremely manipulative.

Define manipulative and I'll probably give a more satisfying answer.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I think being smart is often misconstrued as trying to manipulate. In other words, "I'm so sorry I'm not an idiot and don't let everyone take advantage of me without question!"

But people can be manipulative, so who knows.

theplacesyoullgo

What do you mean by manipulative? Convincing? Yes.

Other types are quite manipulative too. I've been called extremely manipulative.

Define manipulative and I'll probably give a more satisfying answer.

I always thought of "manipulative" as having a negative connotation, kind of the ability to get someone to do something s/he will probably regret later which s/he wouldn't normally do without your urging. Essentially controlling others for ulterior motives.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I find that all NJs are manipulative to some extent.

The problem is that being manipulative by itself is often given a negative connotation when in fact you can use it for good or evil. For example you might not get a lot of good things done in an organization if you just said you wanted them done. People might get offended and the idea would get squashed before it even got off the ground. On the other hand if you say the right things to the right people and make it seem like they came up with the idea, it might happen before you know it.

redacted

I always thought of "manipulative" as having a negative connotation, kind of the ability to get someone to do something s/he will probably regret later which s/he wouldn't normally do without your urging. Essentially controlling others for ulterior motives.

Extroverted judgers in general do this, since they implement their introverted perception.

Sometimes the introverted perception falls in line with what's good for the group, sometimes not.

Fe is just as manipulative as Te, though, if not more.

Extroverted perceivers are manipulative, too, but it would be explained slightly differently.

Again (I feel like I'm always giving this answer), MBTI isn't a very good tool for talking about stuff like this.

theplacesyoullgo

Again (I feel like I'm always giving this answer), MBTI isn't a very good tool for talking about stuff like this.

I get the answer to these types of questions is always going to be that all/most types are X, they just express it in different ways. Was just looking for some general opinions.

redacted

Overall, the ENTJs I know are considered by most people to be more manipulative on average than other types.

But that's my perception of other people's perceptions on average; I don't actually feel that way. Plus, I don't know enough ENTJs to make a good statistical sample.

ArchitectofFate

MBTI Type
ENTP

I'm ENTJ (moderately weak E, very strong N) and have been accused of being manipulative a handful of times in my life - but I wasn't consciously trying to manipulate anyone.

if people accuse you of being manipulative, then you didn't manipulate anyone at all

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

My guess is that ENTJs are, on average, more manipulative than IxTx types and INFPs, about equal with other IxFx types, and less manipulative than ExTP and ExFx types.

All types are manipulative to some degree, of course.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think that ENTJs are some of the least manipulative types, because they'll just tell you exactly what they want and expect you to do it. Steam rolling isn't entirely compatible with manipulation. I think that they just give the impression of manipulation because they give people the feeling that they have no choice in the matter.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
No.

Say it with me. "No."

That's a reasonable answer, isn't it? And to have said it yourself -- you understand. I'm pleased that we agree.

Seriously, ESTPs would win the prize in question, from my experience.

Metamorphosis said:
they'll just tell you exactly what they want and expect you to do it
This corroborates Maverick's reply to another thread, with which I agree. Direct expression is not politic.

Seraph

MBTI Type
INTJ
ENTJs are not manipulative.

We can be highly persuasive if the need calls for it, but that is a far cry from 'manipulative' and all of the connotations attached.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
ESFj-Si subtype is the most manipulative in my opinion >_>.

ENTJs don't really need to manipulate. They have enough personality to get things done openly.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have been told that I am manipulative, but I have been told that it is an ‘adorable’ method of manipulation. I don’t really think that it is manipulation at all- - I would call it persuasion. I tend to whip out the puppy face or the claws, and things tend to fall into place, but they are just tools in my persuasion.

If what I do is categorized as manipulation, then I don’t do it consciously, I just am good at getting what I want out of people.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Manipulation = covert control of people.

This corroborates Maverick's reply to another thread, with which I agree. Direct expression is not politic.

Definitely.

ENTJ's are not manipulative. They are straightforward and that is the opposite of being manipulative really.

ENTJ's don't care about controlling others for its own sake, what they are interested in are systems and improving them.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
As the males above have stated... manipulation is more a language of subterfuge, of someone unable to use outright strength/authority/power. Usually that isn't a problem with ENTJs.

Where perhaps the difference could be, is that ENTJ females may have trouble being seen as outright aggressive/authoritative, so try to employ some F to soften their approach, especially in cultures which could be more role-centric.

Perhaps that is where it could seem manipulative (others feel "cornered"), because if you don't do it well, people do see where you are coming from and where you want them to go.

Someone who's good at manipulating simply makes you choose the option which is best for them, while leaving you feeling it is best for you as well.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Someone who's good at manipulating simply makes you choose the option which is best for them, while leaving you feeling it is best for you as well.
Using guilt is very common as well.