• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Debating or for the kill?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes the truth is that both sides have an equal claim to different aspects of the whole complexity. In which case, I would state such an argument.

that's absolutely true too and happens quite often to me.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know a lot of EPs are said to like to debate, I was wondering, how do you debate?

I have a tendency to try to look for the edge and move in for the kill. I want to finalize it. Does everyone debate this way?

I prefer to debate in order to understand the other person's perspective and to explore the ideas more thoroughly. That doesn't mean I'll never "go in for the kill", but that is not the style of debate that I prefer. It is much more enjoyable when neither side feels like they have to win.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I guess it depends on the person, or even how they're behaving in that thread/on that day.

I'm not one to just ignore someone being obnoxious, unless I consider them to be a complete idiot. I've considered making an exception to that rule, though, for people who seem to be just trying to make an impression on an audience, and who think they can therefore get away with talking in circles, and other techniques that the casual observer of the exchange wouldn't notice, unless they really looked closely at the debate. I also lose respect for people that go back and edit their posts well after I have responded to them. ( I don't always quote people exhaustively to prevent that. )

I try to ignore, but sometimes have to respond. Do people really edit their posts a la 1984? I do this to correct spelling errors.

As far as debating goes, I'll stick with my point for as long as possible, seeking to correct any misunderstandings. I do change my stance but only after a long drawn out debate (much to the obvious frustration of others). Nevertheless I am capable of changing.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I try to ignore, but sometimes have to respond. Do people really edit their posts a la 1984? I do this to correct spelling errors.

As far as debating goes, I'll stick with my point for as long as possible, seeking to correct any misunderstandings. I do change my stance but only after a long drawn out debate (much to the obvious frustration of others). Nevertheless I am capable of changing.

This is a big difference between P's and J's I guess. I tend to just spontaneously switch sides.

redacted

This is a big difference between P's and J's I guess. I tend to just spontaneously switch sides.

Yeah. I'll wait for a second and figure out which side is being under-represented, then I argue it to the death. Once I finish, I'll switch to another under-represented view.

It's one at a time with me, though.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I am not a fan of debating with most people, though it seems that many take an expression of disagreement as an intention to debate. I'll only be interested in continuing it if I think I can see something new and the other person is being rational. Many enter debate, fragile ego and hurt feelings in hand, and will be driven by those needs first. I can't be bothered because they'll call day night if it suits their aim to be considered . . . at which point I lose any shred of respect for them and return their level of poop on a platter to get them out of my presence immediately. That is not so much a kill as a toss.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I really enjoy debate with individuals that can clearly state their points. I typically go straight for the kill when it's someone I wouldn't want to discuss with, in depth.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I really enjoy debate with individuals that can clearly state their points. I typically go straight for the kill when it's someone I wouldn't want to discuss with, in depth.

Same.

But sometimes I enjoy it with people who can't clearly state their points, especially if I swayed them in any way.

Meridian

MBTI Type
INXJ
I don't debate with Ep's. I watch them intensely from across the room. :devil:
I wait for them to feel the burn, the curiosity to peak, and then I ignore them.

felt up

MBTI Type
INFJ
I find "known" debaters to be disingenuous. It's like they never really care about the topic at hand. It can seem like an artificial struggle to dominate to see who's right or more knowledgeable. If I care about a topic, I'm likely to state my view very passionately, but I never have the intention of changing someone's mind. I find most debates as pointless as a sporting event.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I move in for the kill. I try to find the weakest point in the argument and dismantle it as quickly and deftly as possible, and then move on.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i rarely debate for the sake of debating. i debate to get to a point so that both parties can agree on the correct answer. when i debate, im seeking for answers more than seeking to prove the other party wrong. my "debates" are very much like a discussion but if I know the other party is wrong, i will immediately try to prove so.