• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTP buffoonery

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think its well known that NTPs tend to be incredibly insensitive..

This other day..I've heard a story about this one ENTP philosophy professor that I know..when a stranger interrupted his class panicking about her lost purse..

He said...Uhh..I lost my gloves at the ski slope the other day...and she was furious..

Then afterwards my ENFP friend spoke to him after class...

---You lost your gloves...?

---Uhh..I guess I was just trying to empathize...

---I cant believe you said that...

And also...there is this one older INTP that I know..who said the following in this conversation...

So, he was asked, 'I heard your wife(INTJ) got a new job, how has she been doing, still working?"

--Yes, my wife is working...for a very strange company...they fire all the brightest ones first..(she was present in that conversation)

How common is this..? And I am sure most of us NTPs could easily imagine ourselves in their shoes with no sinister motives...but I wonder what other ways the lack of sensitivity impacts their lives..

Anecdotes welcome.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
When my beloved and I were engaged we split Christmas break between visiting my family and visiting his. I wanted to show him things in my home town that meant a lot to me, so I took him to my favorite park. It's thickly wooded and I spent a lot of my teen years wandering the trails with my brother and my friends.

When I was showing him the trees in this place that I love he began an enthusiastic exposition on the cool firefighting machines they have that can very efficiently mow down trees in order to fight forest fires. :huh: :boohoo:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know if I can give personal anecdotes, because I only see my end which usually winds up with someone pissed at me and I don't know why.

I do know that I have an overly acute sense of humor and I often laugh at a bad situation that a person is going through because I see the irony of it. Sometimes this makes them mad, but sometimes this makes them feel better because they can laugh at the situation with me. Basically a coin toss.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Over the years I have learned when to soften the joking and humor-poking...
.... well, most of the time. <eye roll>

(Oberon is probably still miffed at me over something that happened probably 14 years ago, after he had confided in me how attractive a particular coworker was, and then at a get-together at a friend's house, I interrupted the entire group conversation by saying very loudly, "But you said she was a looker!" -- right in front of Oberon's wife. Oh, if looks could kill...!)

It does not help that sometimes I simply make a joke about something serious, even though I'm not laughing. It's my way of being whimsical or sardonic, but some people take it a bit too straight-forwardly.

darlets

When I was showing him the trees in this place that I love he began an enthusiastic exposition on the cool firefighting machines they have that can very efficiently mow down trees in order to fight forest fires. :huh: :boohoo:
I don't get it. :headphne:

You don't happen to have a link to these firefighting machines, they sound cool. ;)

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Back in college, one component of the final exam for atonal sight-singing was the solfege memorization of three songs.

HTB: ...and the third song is "Deutschland über Alles."

ENTP PROFESSOR: (indignant, but erroneously) What kind of Nazi are you?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't get it. :headphne:

You don't happen to have a link to these firefighting machines, they sound cool. ;)
You should PM him. He still loves firefighting apparatus. I still love trees. He still doesn't care about trees and I still don't care about firefighting apparatus. :alttongue:

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Back in college, one component of the final exam for atonal sight-singing was the solfege memorization of three songs.

HTB: ...and the third song is "Deutschland

Last edited by a moderator:

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I had this happen (As the NTP) on a forum once, all sorts of problems possibly came from that. It probably has happened a lot of other times also that I don't know about.

You should PM him. He still loves firefighting apparatus. I still love trees. He still doesn't care about trees and I still don't care about firefighting apparatus.

He doesn't care about trees!? But trees are amazing! Does he have any idea all the steps that go into photosynthesis, or pulling water through the tree, or nitrogen utilization? He is truly missing out, and I commend you for having an appreciation of these wondrous things. :devil:

darlets

He doesn't care about trees!? But trees are amazing! Does he have any idea all the steps that go into photosynthesis, or pulling water through the tree, or nitrogen utilization? He is truly missing out, and I commend you for having an appreciation of these wondrous things. :devil:

I would put an implied liking of trees on firefighting equipment though. After all you will be saving trees whilst utilizing them even if you have to cut a few down in the process.

Has a tree every saved a piece of fire fighting equipment?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha, oh boy, it slips through once in a while...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I would put an implied liking of trees on firefighting equipment though. After all you will be saving trees whilst utilizing them even if you have to cut a few down in the process.

Has a tree every saved a piece of fire fighting equipment?
His tone was more along the lines of "That thing could take all these suckers out!"

Probably can't be helped. He's from Kansas.

darlets

His tone was more along the lines of "That thing could take all these suckers out!"

Probably can't be helped. He's from Kansas.

"Suckers are swift-growing shoots which appear around the tree's base. Water sprouts spoil the look of a tree and are unproductive. Suckers rob the tree of nutrients and should always be removed promptly."

He was just trying to help your favourite trees grow and what does he get in return? You should be praising him for showing immediate and practical concern for something you love.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
"Suckers are swift-growing shoots which appear around the tree's base. Water sprouts spoil the look of a tree and are unproductive. Suckers rob the tree of nutrients and should always be removed promptly."

He was just trying to help your favourite trees grow and what does he get in return? You should be praising him for showing immediate and practical concern for something you love.

:dry:

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Stating "Oh, I've already seen it" when my brother's fiance showed me the engagement ring that my brother had just given her. She and my brother looked very offended, but I was just stating the truth. My brother had showed it to me before he gave it to her. In retrospect, it's easy to see how that seems inconsiderate, but it wasn't meant that way. I'm still unsure if they overreacted, or if it really was rude as hell.

Feeling flustered and helpless when a friend of mine was crying after her pet was put to sleep. She said she regreted doing it. If I remember correctly, I snapped "But he's not in pain now! You should be happy for that." I know this was cold, and I knew it at the time, but I felt cornered and somewhat angry. She was screaming and hysterical; her reaction seemed overwrought and selfish, as though she was putting her feelings before the well being of another creature.

Once, in high school, a girl asked me what got on my nerves (I forget the context). I replied, "When people bug me." It was a knee jerk, honest reply that was not directed at her whatsoever, although I could tell she took it that way. She didn't try to make conversation with me again; and again, I felt guilty.

Luckily, my social skills have improved.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stating "Oh, I've already seen it" when my brother's fiance showed me the engagement ring that my brother had just given her. She and my brother looked very offended, but I was just stating the truth. My brother had showed it to me before he gave it to her. In retrospect, it's easy to see how that seems inconsiderate, but it wasn't meant that way. I'm still unsure if they overreacted, or if it really was rude as hell.
:huh: Is it?

Feeling flustered and helpless when a friend of mine was crying after her pet was put to sleep. She said she regreted doing it. If I remember correctly, I [remove]snapped[/remove] "But he's not in pain now! [remove]You should[/remove] be happy for that." I know this was cold, and I knew it at the time, but I felt cornered and somewhat angry. She was screaming and hysterical; her reaction seemed overwrought and selfish, as though she was putting her feelings before the well being of another creature.

:)

Once, in high school, a girl asked me what got on my nerves (I forget the context). I replied, "When people bug me." It was a knee jerk, honest reply that was not directed at her whatsoever, although I could tell she took it that way. She didn't try to make conversation with me again; and again, I felt guilty.

Luckily, my social skills have improved.

I think it was a good answer! People should loosen up. :yes:

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:shock:
How would me PMing him help me in disrailing this thread?

I can't decide which emoticon I like better?
:party2: or :run:

Anyone else have an opinion?

:run: