• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP thinking about going to University, need advice/confidence stroke.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, so I'm a 19 year old 6th-form leaver who has spent the last two years doing crappy low paid jobs. To be fair, I am the most happy I have ever been, but that is more a reflection of how much fun my teens were. I am still unsatisfied with my life.

The fact is I know, and am constantly told, that I am intelligent and therefore worthy of better things.
My problem is that I HATED school. I hated having to learn what I wasn't interested in. I hated the yes sir/no sir approach to teaching. I hated that to be a good student I had become extroverted, as I was painfully shy at the time. But most of all I hated the mind-numbing, soul-destroying memorisation of facts. Nothing is more boring than sodding facts.
So, along with a hugely dramatic home life, this led me to effectively give up, at some point I just chose to keep my head down and not try. And so I just waited till I got home to lose myself in hours of escapism.

So now, several years later, I realise what a mistake I have made. But it may not be too late. My grades are not fantastic but they should see me through to a lesser university. I could study Philosophy and English Lit, which are subjects I am interested in--as they would have to be.
Unfortunately, my confidence in my academic ability is non-existant. Although I am quite able to theorise, understand and create. It only takes the sight of a revision book to make me nervous. It's almost as if I relate such things to an unpleasant period in my life so my unconsciouse wants none of it.

I do, however, think higher education would be more to my liking than the spoon-feeding approach adopted in high school.

Anywho, what I would like is any helpful knowledge about university life/education that you think might apply to me, or indeed that would be helpful to anyone. It would also be awesome if anyone could give an inspirational account of doing well in university after a mediocre lower education. But I suppose that would be too much to ask for.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Why do you want to go to university?

I ask that because if you really don't like school then you will need a future goal to give you incentive to succeed there. You complained about your crappy job but taking Philosophy or English Lit. doesn't sound like it would lead anywhere else.

I know you wanted a pep talk but university is expensive in terms of dollars and time. If you are going to take that on just for the sake of learning and broadening your mind that's commendable, just not very practical (yeah I know this is a very INTJ response).

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
From the cliche, "You only get out of it what you put in." I'll say consider whether this is something you truly want to do. While years in undergrad has less spoon-feeding than in high school, there'll be occasions in which you need to study and memorize facts. You do have the opportunity to express yourself at length in essays... so *shrugs* take the good with the bad I guess.

I'll also wouldn't worry too much of going back to school after being away for several years. You'll adjust to the change soon enough if you put in some effort. :)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You don't seem to have an actual career goal.

Do you just want to go to college to learn? If all you want to do is go to college and take philosophy classes, where do you expect that to take you?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Eh, I'll give you the pep talk no one else is willing to give yet.

University is fucking awesome is some ways, and a drag in others. You don't have to be an extrovert to succeed, because most of your grades generally come from papers and essays rather than participation. Most classes require some degrees of memorization, but it's different than high school. A good teacher doesn't care if you memorize details (generally) but it more interested in seeing if you understand wtf it is you memorized. Knowing some details is important, but seeing how and why they fit together is the greater goal. Usually, not always. Some teachers will suck. That's the deal.

I studied psychology and it worked for me because it was personally interesting. I used my classes to refine my ideas and understanding of my world, so the information became somewhat alive. Learning and memorizing came easy because I applied the information I learned and looked for things in life that corresponded. Bio, history, psychology, and some philosophy all crept into my perception is a very amusing way.

Socially, it was a bit harder for me because I was very introverted, now less so. (I was/am/whatever iNTP, though the T becomes an F sometimes.) I made friends with my neighbors and roommates and has some other friends from school as well. The rest were mostly acquaintances. But, it worked, and I finally got laid, and life is good.

Having a degree is a good idea, imo. It opens doors for you, not only in the immediate working world, but it also allows you to pursue an advanced degree. If you think you're going to end up with a job that requires an advanced degree, go for it. If you just want to get a better normal job, go for it. If you really think you're out there and might have absolutely no use for a degree, then contemplate your goals a little more.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Though you may not think it, they are all appreciated. I'm going to book a meeting with a careers advisor today so they can tell me how a university degree could help me career wise. That is something I may not have done without your negative posts. :cheese: I am aware of the general arguments for higher education. But I will be looking for specific reasons a degree in the course I chose will be usefull.

I don't have much faith in careers advisors though. They are usually middle aged woman stuck in a dead end job they hate.

musicheck

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Just because you're an INTP doesn't mean you cant work intensely. That's no excuse. INTP's are logical- so set yourself a logical career goal after some intense research, and then stick to it. Have you thought about majoring in math? That's an excellent major for an INTP (if you're quantitatively inclined- not all are)- aesthetically beautiful (once you get beyond all that calculus and linear algebra in your first year or two) and pretty highly demanded in the business world. Have you thought about being an actuary? All the career advancing certifications are tests which you study for on your own time, so you can make yourself pretty valuable without jumping through quite as many hoops as other nice jobs.

The only thing which you have to get drilled into your head though, is always go to class, keep the drinking to once a week, and do all your homework, even if its boring. An INTP who develops a baseline level of responsibility and study habits can go very far with their unique combination of logic and creativity. Be optimistic!