• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Assertiveness...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do something DIFFERENT, and outside of your normal comfort zone. That could prompt a change :)

But as I said, I feel like I'm being watched, under constant surveillance by a force telling me I'm not allowed to leave my comfort zone.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Then tell it to Fuck Off

You'll never get anywhere in life if you don't do things that make you uncomfortable or challenge you to step outside of the norm for you... come on and grow a set! It's the only way that you'll get anywhere! :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*slaps Uber*

Get over yourself and just act without thinking first- it's the most liberating thing you can do.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What are ways to gain self-respect?

I mean, I just feel trapped. I just rehearse the assertiveness in front of the air. I can't confront people because part of the problem is that I don't have power over anyone.

If you're rehearsing in front of the air, that's actually really good, because you already know what assertiveness looks like. You might need power over people to change them, but don't need power over people to be assertive. Assertiveness has to do with expressing yourself more than with getting people to change. Besides, actually speaking up for yourself will force people to start listening more. Like I said before, you just have to risk expressing what you're already thinking. I've seen you do it before on these boards.

Like everyone else said, it doesn't mean you have to be aggressive. In fact, I don't really think that's in your nature. It just requires that you speak up on your own behalf and correct moments of disrespect. You can do it tactfully and honorably.

Regarding self-respect...it's a tough call because I don't always identify it. Practicing speaking up for yourself, even though it's scary, is a great way to build some self-respect. Have what I call a "fuck that shit" attitude when people try to dismiss you and advocate on your own behalf. Start there.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I dunno, maybe I'm just paranoid.

Everyone is afraid, Uber.

Fear doesn't go away -- even when you're confident. You just can't let it cut you. You have to act in spite of it.

Everyone fears.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Start realizing that there are plenty of people who like you and will not kill you for stepping out of your comfort zone, hell, some of us are trying to get to you step out of it ;) There is no Big Brother watching you and you will not be executed if you come out and play ;)

Even if you get told of, chances are that the person who did so, will next time not react to you the same way, as they will forget the confrontation fairly quickly. Also look behind the 'critiscism'. Who are they? Why did they react that way, and is there something you can do to respect who you are while not repressing yourself :)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Uber. You're an NT...design a plan that forces you to take small steps to confront your fears more and more. Like, you have to interact with 3 people a week. Make it into a game so it's fun rather than a chore.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
This is a good start, right where you're at, Uber. Sorta where everybody starts. Nothin' too strange about that. :yes:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This topic seems as surreal as a topic where someone is trying to ask for help on how to be decisive.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
What are some methods you have used to help yourself become more assertive? How do you train yourself effectively?

a) Follow Maverick's orders
b) Assertiveness is about *honesty*. Practice saying what you think, want, believe once a day using "I" statements. Ex.: "I don't agree with your idea", "I think I'm awesome, to be honest", "I think the PC market offers a palette of entertainment that is more mature than that of console games, considering the complexity of products and average age of gamers", "Excuse me sir, I was before you in the line". Oh, and insulting/annoying people is not assertiveness, it's being lame. Assertive people don't need anyone - annoying someone is a sign of need.
c) Eliminate the beliefs you have about people's responses if you are assertive. Some people will like you, others won't. The important is that you get to be authentic!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Moved and retitled. :devil:

I changed it back. Happy, pippi? Heh.

Just curious, what was it retitled to? I missed it.

a) Follow Maverick's orders
b) Assertiveness is about *honesty*. Practice saying what you think, want, believe once a day using "I" statements. Ex.: "I don't agree with your idea", "I think I'm awesome, to be honest", "I think the PC market offers a palette of entertainment that is more mature than that of console games, considering the complexity of products and average age of gamers", "Excuse me sir, I was before you in the line". Oh, and insulting/annoying people is not assertiveness, it's being lame. Assertive people don't need anyone - annoying someone is a sign of need.
c) Eliminate the beliefs you have about people's responses if you are assertive. Some people will like you, others won't. The important is that you get to be authentic!

Well, I don't have a problem with expressing my own opinions on things. I have no problem with asserting myself towards my deeper desires. I've repressed them because everyone told me it's impossible, but now I have nothing.

Right now, I don't have any underlying ambition. I just want to make up for the things I never got to do growing up. And I can't assert myself.

I just feel powerless against the world.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
"Tease Uber until he fights back." Not that people were teasing you, but I thought it would be a nice experiment to show you that you're quite capable of being assertive.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Uber, if you come across in real life like you sometimes do on the site you don't even project any form of confidence to others, in fact you can come of with an emotionally clingy, attention demanding vibe.

Like Maverick said- you've got to be comfortable with yourself. That means you've got to like you for who/what you are without feedback from other people. Like Coco Chanel, you've got to beleive that you're worthwhile until everyone else decides that you are as well.

Quit asking others for attention, give and you shall receive. Don't do things for shock value, you'll just alienate yourself farther than you already feel alienated. Ask other people about thier interests, or don't bother at all. Unless they're genuinely interested they don't want to hear about it (they're just being polite!). Just a few tips.

Sure- other people are scary. Most of them are just as scared of you as you are of them, so get over yourself ;)

Chemgrl82

MBTI Type
eNTj
Enneagram
8w7
Anytime I waver in whether to assert myself or not, I usually say about one sentence to myself - "It's always better to just assert yourself, get it out there and be honest." My J takes it from there and out it comes.

I guess this is the easy part for me. The tricky part is mroe on the lines of "How do you keep things in so well?"

Sigh.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quit asking others for attention, give and you shall receive. Don't do things for shock value, you'll just alienate yourself farther than you already feel alienated. Ask other people about thier interests, or don't bother at all. Unless they're genuinely interested they don't want to hear about it (they're just being polite!). Just a few tips.

I've never been curious about other people's interests, really. Which is why I need to use my somewhat esoteric interests to get others to be curious about me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never been curious about other people's interests, really. Which is why I need to use my somewhat esoteric interests to get others to be curious about me.

Tell me how THAT'S working out for you....

You must give to receive, socially speaking. If you're not interested in thier interests they have no reason to try and be interested in yours. You can't just demand from others, because eventually they'll get tired of giving without receiving and you'll end up all alone.