• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs - courses/subjects in HS & college, & preferred professions

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have finally consistently typed a 13 y/o guy as an ENTP. He has to select select courses/subjects for the next year which will set the direction for his future choices of courses etc in HS and of course college. Given what ENTPs might have a greater interest in and propensity towards and that its best to have one's hobby be one's profession, I wanted to ask what everyone recommends esp. ENTPs.

One line of reasoning says to have science subjects (Physiscs + Chem or Bio), maths for sure and pre cal or HS calculus, economics, maybe accounting too. Its pretty much an open field so I'll appreciate any input.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I loved almost everything. I think all ENTs think any form of learning is fun. I really enjoyed and excelled in history and civics, math, photography, chem, english and mock trial. If the school has a Mock Trial team he will most likely love it. If he has a decent coach, it will help produce a good work ethic and it will foster his debating and reasoning skills. It also is very helpful in getting into good schools; on my team five went to Berkeley, two went to UCLA, two went to UCSD, four went to UCDavis, one went to Reeds and one went to Stanford.

I hated, hated, HATED spanish. I studied it for 3 years, and struggled the whole time, but a fellow ENT took it for all for and went onto AP. The only other classes I had trouble with were Bio and Anatomy; too much petty memorization.

I want to be an attorney.

Most people don't really develop a solid personality until 15-16, so he might change a bit.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bougal, tks :)

His elder sib is in law school.

anatomy = memorization = sucks. but otherwise Bio + math is a great combo as is Econ + math a natural one.

As for work ethic, lazy guys? redundant? ;)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Only science. You've obviously read the online descriptions, or you wouldn't know how to type him. You should know.
All ENTPs love science and nothing else.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had him take various tests repeatedly over the past few months to be sure of his type and in science is his core interest. Add math & calculus to that and then theres the diversity element. That combo is what makes for a broader, diverse and yet relevant base which takes care of future maturity and interest aspects.

Having a 13 y/o decide such stuff is tricky as it is.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'd say if a type should have no clear preference for anything, it'd be the ENTPs. And ESPECIALLY when they are so young like 13 years old, since ENTPs usually mature later than other types.

IMHO, deciding what you will do so early on is simply ridiculous. There's so much to discover, so much to make or to observe. ENTPs are usually talented at anything they like, they have amongst the widest range of possible interests. This also explains why they can get bored easily, and can't really choose a profession, even when they are adults.

Anyway, I'd say that any profession that is not repetitive (never!), that allows a good freedom at work, as well as a developped creative side is a possible choice. And that is not necessarily science!

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say if a type should have no clear preference for anything, it'd be the ENTPs. And ESPECIALLY when they are so young like 13th years old, since ENTPs usually mature later than other types.
agree with you for the most, and he has shown clear & consistent signs of this
IMHO, deciding what you will do so early on is simply ridiculous. There's so much to discover, so much to make or to observe. ENTPs are usually talented at anything they like, they have amongst the widest range of possible interests. This also explains why they can get bored easily, and can't really choose a profession, even when they are adults.
having to make the decision isn't his choice. his school needs him to do so. regardless of that though I was asking what might be the broad enough base to cover at least the more likely bases.
Anyway, I'd say that any profession that is not repetitive (never!), that allows a good freedom at work, as well as a developped creative side is a possible choice. And that is not necessarily science!
he can do sketches too so yes science isn't the steel framework he is or should be caged in.

the more suggestions and input I can get, the better I can help/advise him.
& tks

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The dominant function of the ENTP is extroverted Intuition.

Intuition is a perceiving function, therefore is concerned with perceiving the external environment.

An extroverted function it derives its inspiration from the external world. Because of this, it easily interacts with the external world. Intuition is also abstract by definition.

Therefore the Extroverted Intuitive naturally excells at interacting with the environment by virtue of abstract perceptions. This is most notable in discussions of ideas that rely on the use of imagination. Because imagination is aimed at the external world, ideas must be about practical affairs.

The ENTP is also analytical by nature because Introverted Thinking is his auxiliary function. Thus the ENTP is most interested in Intuitively perceiving environments that are easily seen as impersonal and systematic.

For this reason Political Science tends to be an ideal enterprise for the ENTP. Complex business do as well, as both require one to intuitively grasp how complex impersonal enteprises tend to function.

Journalism, Sociology and Anthropology are also fitting as they require interaction with the external world and grasping complex patterns observed in one's environment, however because these activities are deeply concerned with the human element, they are more fitting for the ENFP than for the ENTP, yet nonetheless should be satisfactory for the agenda of Extroverted Intuition for the same reason as Political Science and complex businesses are.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I have finally consistently typed a 13 y/o guy as an ENTP. He has to select select courses/subjects for the next year which will set the direction for his future choices of courses etc in HS and of course college. Given what ENTPs might have a greater interest in and propensity towards and that its best to have one's hobby be one's profession, I wanted to ask what everyone recommends esp. ENTPs.

One line of reasoning says to have science subjects (Physiscs + Chem or Bio), maths for sure and pre cal or HS calculus, economics, maybe accounting too. Its pretty much an open field so I'll appreciate any input.

I can do well in any subject you throw me in, but I seem to excell in the biological sciences. I also enjoy interacting with people on a daily basis, so I am applying to medical school right now. My Bachelors was in Biochemistry, but to be honest with you, 13 is way too young to be pushed towards anything. Let the guy have fun and try everything out. ENTP's are usually jack of all trades and masters of almost none.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP's should study as wide a variety of subjects as possible. I found that when I had to focus on one subject for a long time it because less interesting. When I was juggling lots of different ideas in my head at once they were all fairly interesting.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I firstly thought about physics and that's the topic I am still intrested into the most. But physics lacks practical application and I am not that much intrested in every of the topics in physics.

Physics and math are pretty much alike. They have their special moments, when they are really intresting. I for example just discovered the existence of math lab and that program is so much fun. Developed an "Antiblock Breaking System" for a car with it. You can put in all kinds of mathematical operations and create a Differential equation and then you can get it solved for the way the car needs to break in the end and can show it graphically. Pretty cool. And maths has in this sense a practical application.

Just to do math for the sake of math or physics for the sake of physics, I was never into. If I stumble about theoretical physics models, like the "Alcubierre Metric", I like to do the math for the sake of physics, because that's intresting. But it would not fulfill me, if I could never turn my theoretical models into an application. Guess there are only a few physics guys who have had this pleasure, like the guys from the LHC.

So I was never quite sure what to study. Sadly I lacked proper guidance, because if I myself do not know what I want to do and people dont give you input about possibilities or you dont search for input, it's a hard time to find answer, to questions not even asked.

In school I picked english and german as main fields of study. You probably can call them literature. Second was math and third was biology. Biology was intresting for a time, I was pretty good at genetics, but when it came to botany I failed big time. Not that I dont like flowers, I love them but to categorize flowers and name their mechanisms of reproducing, wasnt my field of expertise. What I missed mostly there was the ability to invent something. And I choose the word "invent" now, conciously. By the time I did that biology course I wasnt aware of what I am missing, nowadays I am.

Well the math course was great, but it was more like an instrument. An ability I wanted to have but didnt use with a practical background. I am still a master of mental arithmetic, something I definitly got from my ISTP dad and I once even scored 2nd in a mental arithmetic challenge out of 46 participants :D. But in the long run, math still was only an ability an instrument.

I flourished in my first course german and english. In that time I wrote a lot, but nothing really great. That was nevertheless a field where you could live your inventive nature. The things I wrote though wasnt really good. I am still searching for the definition of what makes a good writer or better said, when people read your shit. I guess from today's point of view, I could say my writing was to impersonal maybe but most of all it was set up in a realistic environment with surrealistic elements. One of my favourite writers in that time was Kafka and I liked his way of creating metaphors that could be interpreted in 3 directions at one time. So I guess the writing was always about the text to sound cool at the end, lacking content.

In university then after a dark period of mal-practiced drug abuse I decided to go back to that what I always wanted the most. Though every teacher of mine said I will not suceed in science, because my mind is too haphazard, I did it nevertheless. I was always into electronics and I built a lot of circuits when I was a child, but I didnt wanted to pursue that field, because I thaught, I knew enough about it. And electronics would only be another part of building a practical application, with electronics alone, I could never build a mechanical robot for example. So I decided to hold onto electronics as my hobby.

The same it was with informatics. I liked programming and I already went into business with a good friend building some websites. But I didnt wanted to study it. It seemed boring in the longrun and was again only a part in developing a mechanical robot.

So I choosed the field I was never intrested in before and I knew not a single thing about when I started it. And choosed mechanical engineering. I was however intrested in how a car works, like a lifetime or so. But I never really did do something in that direction. Maybe that was fate, so my studies are going to be fascinating, intresting and breath-taking :D.

Because I knew one topic will not satisfy me, I choosed besides mechanical engineering, economics and business Administration aswell.

Today I am still not at the point of doing something new. There is always some application I work on, some idea to build something I have and in recent time I even finally started to build something andto finally finish something I started :D.

To choose two fields of intrest was definitly a good choice, there were times I did do more for the one and less for the other and vice versa. That sounds not good but it is good for me, because I can balance intrests that way.

Any yes overall I consider these two intrests to be the professional ones that need to be done. I try to never let them interfere with my variety of other intrests I have. I try, do not succeed though everytime :D.

------

Why did I write such a long text now ? I dont now. Probably in the mood of talking at the moment :D

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
History and Science have always been favorites of mine, simply because I find them interesting to study. Math, when applied, is also extremely enjoyable. Basically, when picking classes for that first year, pick as many different topics as you can. It stimulates the mind, and gives you a better idea as to what exactly you want to do in life.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Anthropology

Amen! Anthropology...the gift that keeps on giving.

If he shows a consistent interest in the sciences, it may be supposed that that is the direction in which he will continue, but as others have said, keeping things as broad as possible is the best approach. Once you start to feel too tightly trapped in a subject, it's over, so it's best to find something that is broad enough to be applied to a wide array of real-life situations.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Only science. You've obviously read the online descriptions, or you wouldn't know how to type him. You should know.
All ENTPs love science and nothing else.

This ENTP loves philosophy, literature, history, as well as the sciences. Don't fence me in!

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The dominant function of the ENTP is extroverted Intuition.
(truncated the rest of the post)

Tks BlueWing! as always precise and incisive. Passed this too on to him and he's trying to get his head around this and other advice over here.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can do well in any subject you throw me in, but I seem to excell in the biological sciences. I also enjoy interacting with people on a daily basis, so I am applying to medical school right now. My Bachelors was in Biochemistry, but to be honest with you, 13 is way too young to be pushed towards anything. Let the guy have fun and try everything out. ENTP's are usually jack of all trades and masters of almost none.

yes Bio is right there and in fact bio-chem is something he has a propensity towards for more than one reason.

the decision is to be made at this stage cause of his school's requirements and restrictions. He'll compensate and buttress the shortfall for a broad enough base now and later before college.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
History and Science have always been favorites of mine, simply because I find them interesting to study. Math, when applied, is also extremely enjoyable.

science as a given plus math, & econ &/or accounting &/or statistics/business to fill up the need for a broad base.

Basically, when picking classes for that first year, pick as many different topics as you can. It stimulates the mind, and gives you a better idea as to what exactly you want to do in life.

exactly!

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A long very interesting post

------

Why did I write such a long text now ? I dont now. Probably in the mood of talking at the moment :D

tks! he's taking his own sweet time reading this post of yours!

ENTPs do really get other ENTPs...

I say its the exhausting E ;)

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This ENTP loves philosophy, literature, history, as well as the sciences. Don't fence me in!

Syn, he'll second AND third you on this one!