• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Woah, you're reading way too much into it

T

ThatGirl

How many times have you been told this?

How many times was it true?

Differentiate circumstanses please.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
never. its hard for me to care that much...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'll have wacky back-and-forths with people, and we will just keep on adding on to each other's ridiculousness. And then someone might say, "woah, too far".

But as far as seriously reading into things, I don't usually get the reaction the OP is talking about, but I definitely have before.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I could answer for a few of my ENTJ friends, since I hear myself telling them that fairly often :D

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Pretty much whenever I get into a subject. I have a fairly maniacal persona, If I enjoy something, my concentration is going to be set directly at that thing for days until I either think I have found out enough or end up in a dead spot because I start lacking material that I could study further.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
When it comes to academic or work matters it rarely happens, but the entire 'F' aspect I tend to dwell on.

For instance when I was leaving the movies with a girl I was sort of in to, I said goodbye and she said "We'll see"

I must have dwelled on this all week, when I spoke with her again the following week and when I made mention of her comment she just sort of laughed it off. Tease.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, either they don't say it or I seem to do it to the level people around me are comfortable with.

Seraph

MBTI Type
INTJ
Numerous times have I been told this. Most of the times, it hasn't been true.
I don't typically run into the problem of dwelling on it for too long though, because I just ask them bluntly. I ask because I assume they would have a reason for doing it, but typically I just get "Oh I didn't really mean anything by that, don't think too far into it" or something along those lines.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
How many times have you been told this?

How many times was it true?

Differentiate circumstanses please.

I get told this quite often and I suppose I do tend to over-react to things (e.g. others incompetence).

I got told this yesterday whilst reading an email. I was livid with the response although it only said 'there was no overnight solution' to my requirements. I think the reason I got so mad was that I'd (in my J way) already given the department five months notice of what I needed to be done grrr.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Definitely this happens a lot. Sometimes It is true..

But what's REALLY aggitating, is when someone takes this response and uses it to invalidate your points. Case in point: When someone says/does something you believe to be rude.. and your gut instinct and initial reaction says it's rude. So you call them out on it, and they try to blow it off saying "No no, miscommunication, it was juuust a joke! You're just reading too much into it." .. :dry: People aren't that stupid generally, and normally when they say something harsh, it's meant to be harsh whether they try to play it off later or not.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Nobody ever used that line on me, but I've been told I'm paranoid on a few occasions. I couldn't recall specific instances but it's usually when I believe somebody find faults in my work and I start obsessing to improve it.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I tend to tell myself that alot lol, I always seem to read too much into things. Ill over analyze something to the point were I cant even remember what I was originally trying to figure out. Its all so stressful for me, but at the same time its so hard for me to be blunt and just ask "Hey, is this what you meant? No, ok> (moved on)". It seems like its so much easier but for me its not at all.

But I dont think ive ever actually been called out on it, cause Ill be over analyzing it for so long that the truth usually comes to light before I say something. lol

Scott

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9/5?
Yep, I got told that last night in fact. Except I'm pretty sure she used "you're" and "too" ;). I think it probably happens most often (including last night) when I'm able to see and analyze what's behind things that people say (particularly seeing ways that they're trying to manipulate or are starting out from an antagonistic perspective regardless of whether antagonism is explicitly there in their words or not... and other stuff like that). It seems that a lot of people are just more blind to these sorts of things than I am, and sometimes I think that, if they'd listen to my explanation they'd agree, but that instead they hear the amount of nuance my understanding requires and it's just easier for them to assume that I'm going beyond what I can really see and know. I tend to be pretty self-critical and I also tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when I'm not sure - which is most of the time - so when I am sure, I'm pretty confident in what I'm seeing.

Also, when I talk at length about the nuances in a really good show or movie people, don't often say that I'm reading too much into it, but their reactions make it seems like they're probably thinking something along those lines. Fortunately, I have other friends who will watch the same thing and have the same reactions, and we'll be able to bounce our ideas off each other excitedly, which I think makes people think we're weird, but also adds credibility to our individual perspectives. (The sorts of things I'm talking about watching are things like Firefly, Dr. Horrible (ok, anything Joss Whedon really), Pan's Labyrinth... those sorts of things that clearly have tons of brilliant nuance and that you should all see if you haven't).

Maybe it's just an easy reaction to highly nuanced thought and analysis for people who don't do those things well... I definitely agree that there are times when people read more into things than is really there. I just don't think that I'm someone who's very prone to that sort of thing.

Chemgrl82

MBTI Type
eNTj
Enneagram
8w7
I get it all the time. Glad to see I'm not the only ENTJ encountering this. I'm sure there are plenty of times it's true, but others I know it's not.

It's like they say about paranoia... just because you're paranoid doesn't mean it isn't true.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get told this all the time. I have issues in school because I will over analyze a section and not see the simple facts for myself. I will take everything an unneccisary step forward. I also do with this stuff in my life that I have a huge desire to solve. This is why it's good to have my ISTJ school partner to point out my faults in my work.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
Just once, really. It was about someone teasing another person and why they did it and why the atmosphere influenced that decision to tease. Otherwise I've never told anyone that because in my own mind I find it entertaining when people do.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"Fyodor Pavlovich learned of his wife's death when he was drunk; it was said that he ran out into the street with his hands raised to heaven in joy, shouting : 'Lord, now lettest thou thy servant..' :* others say he wept convulsively like a child, so much so that, despite all the revulsion he aroused, he was pitiful to behold. Very probably, both accounts are true--that is, he rejoiced in his liberation and shed tears for his liberator at one and the same time. In most cases, people, even evil-doers, are much simpler and more naive than we generally suppose. And the same is true for you and me." Fyodor Dostoevsky, Brothers Karamazov.

Human behavior used to befuddle me, and I did overthink it.

I thought human behavior was very complex!

But recently I realized that people with complex motivations tend to be logical, as one needs to be logical to devise anything complex. Those were not the people who confused me the most as their behavior was very consistent with their ostensible principles as well as easy to understand to an outsider observer. When it was not easy, they were willing and able to explain their behavior.

The illogical people, mostly NFs who confused me the most. Recently I realized there is nothing complex to it, just vulgar people acting out on their ephemeral impulses and passions, and the thoughts behind them are crude and simplistic. Their behavior is exactly what it appears to be, no need to devote much thought to it.