• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP vs. ENTP

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFP :yes:

manson1a.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTPs are more slyly funny from what I've seen (one of my best friends is an INTP, as is my father)- they'll just slip a joke in somewhere with a completely straight face and unless you're paying attention and know something about the world there's a good chance you'll miss it. If you notice it though, it's hillarious.

ENTPs I know talk a lot more- less amusing if we're going a words per laughability ratio definitly. :doh:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's mostly natural, but they can't give in to the wrong impulse, say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing... that takes some form of self-control.
Yes, but charismatic people are so natural in their expression/personae that nothing they do or say ever seems *forced*, so any self-control they do utilize/exercise is deftly quick and hence, unnoticeable.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll have you know that it's impossible for me to keep a straight face when telling a joke in real life; I'm often very fiery in my expression. That's why I love the Internet, because I can be dry and subtle.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
How so?

Those who are charismatic tend to be effervescent, happy, sincere, comfortable in their skin, warm and overall confident.

Self-control?

Not particularly, charismatic people are quite natural, (and free-flowing), in the way they express themselves.

To hold court is an art of throwing everyone slightly left-of-centre. The well-placed word, knowing when to say what, and how, yet always at ease with the self.

Bolded part. :D

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, but charismatic people are so natural in their expression/personae that nothing they do or say ever seems *forced*, so any self-control they do utilize/exercise is deftly quick and hence, unnoticeable.

Ever heard of emotional volatility?

Sometimes it's best to keep that reserved.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Feynman was ENFJ actually ;), but anyway. /Tesla/ was ENTP.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I would type both Tina Fey and Zooey Deschanel as INTP, and I think both exude a quiet charisma.

I can be more charismatic when I want to--it's the old Spencer Tracy trick of turning it on when you don't mind the attention and off when you'd rather not be bothered. Most of the time I don't want the attention, though.

Es are probably more likely to have charisma, though. When I think charisma, I think of people like Robert Downey, Jr. Just something effortless about his personality that makes everyone think they'd be his BFF (or perfect mate) if they knew him.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I dunno, perhaps I am seeing this from an ENFP standpoint, but your description of a charismatic person as using, "The well-placed word, knowing when to say what, and how" seems, *forced* and Machiavellian to me, and therefore indicative of a snake-like charm and not a natural form of charisma.

I could be wrong though.

*shrugs*

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly don't know if this is true, so it's as much a question as it is a suggestion, but perhaps ENTPs operate like this:

Act, Reflect, Act, Reflect.

While INTPs operate like this:

Reflect, Act, Reflect, Act.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

For some charismatic people, it can be almost effortless, that's probably right, but I think a lot take steps to overcome or control certain aspects of their personality that conflicts with being charismatic. Anger issues, self-esteem issues... any disorder or negative really. No one's perfect.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I honestly don't know if this is true, so it's as much a question as it is a suggestion, but perhaps ENTPs operate like this:

What if you do both at the same time?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I believe charisma is an inborn characteristic/suite of traits.

Those who are charismatic have been charismatic since they were kids.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I dunno, perhaps I am seeing this from an ENFP standpoint, but your description of a charismatic person as using, "The well-placed word, knowing when to say what, and how" seems, *forced* and Machiavellian to me, and therefore indicative of a snake-like charm and not a natural form of charisma.

I could be wrong though.

*shrugs*

Charm vs. charisma vs. machiavellianism....

The difference is merely what comes naturally, isn't it, as you said; and I've said up there that the person is always at ease with themselves...

and how suspicious the purveyor is sometimes matters too.

Someone who naturally puts others at ease, it could be learnt from observation that it is what the other needs sometimes, so you give it. Is that machiavellian... knowing how to respond in a way others want.

I know the snakes you mean, I face them at work. FWIW, anyone with charisma wouldn't be a turn-off nor leave an oily feel. :sick:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

You're so generous towards me Senor Sponge! :holy: You assume that I reflect twice as often as I do or so... it should go Blab, Act, Say something dumb, reflect :laugh:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I believe charisma is an inborn characteristic/suite of traits.

Those who are charismatic have been charismatic since they were kids.

Yeah I see that point of view. I just word it as "traits that favor charismatic behavior" are inborn. Social etiquette, especially the finer points, must be observed and learned.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Anyhow, back to the topic:

The difference with an ENTP/INTP especially in mature ones would be less obvious, I think.

Mainly because the older INTP learns that imperfection is ok, and becomes very chill. That's the stage they're lovely to be around with. I think they could resemble ENTPs there in the willingness to engage in Ne type ideas and explorations, "just to see".

With ENTPs, there's a greater awareness of self, and that provides the grounding to the flightiness they may have exhibited in earlier ages / bouncing around uncommitted to anyone and anything.

FWIW, I find the sympatico with INTPs something harder to find with other types. But I could be biased since I grew up with one. :)