• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] infp seeks help from entps!

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
I'm just about to start working on a project with an entp - I worked with him on somthing similar last year - I really admire his brain and his passion for his subject but I find working with him very intimidating because he is so loud and his jokes are often really innappropriate - to my face he is often very derogatory and continually takes the piss -but then tells others that he enjoys working with me.
I'd love some tips on how to manage this relationship - I do like him and we have the same views on so many things but a very different way of achiving things and being with people which I'm sure is frustrating for him too

ocop

MBTI Type
iNTp
I'm just about to start working on a project with an entp - I worked with him on somthing similar last year - I really admire his brain and his passion for his subject but I find working with him very intimidating because he is so loud and his jokes are often really innappropriate - to my face he is often very derogatory and continually takes the piss -but then tells others that he enjoys working with me.
I'd love some tips on how to manage this relationship - I do like him and we have the same views on so many things but a very different way of achiving things and being with people which I'm sure is frustrating for him too

I'm a weak "I" so perhaps I can shed some insight(?). But to cut to the chase, if he tells others he enjoys working with you, he enjoys working with you. There is no sense, at least to a healthy NT, in weaving an elaborate web of lies; it's simply unproductive.

As for "taking the piss", he is either just joking around (thinks you're an equal), or likes you to a certain extent (i'm assuming from your handle, the angelou quote, and your writing style that you're female... apologies otherwise :doh:). Either way, just have fun with it. Sarcasm, play argument, and light hearted mockery should be fun, not topics to drive you crazy.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
They joke around way too much but it is all light hearted. They are tone deaf, but never mean to talk you down (unless you piss them off). If they say they enjoy working with they certainly do.

They love to screw around . . . so so so much. If you want to have fun with him, then up the sarcasm and whoop him at his own Ne game by being just as quick.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Prepare something to say when he crosses the line, but also prepare something to lighten the situation and show him that he doesn't have to be guarded from that point on. Something reassuring, funny, and genuine.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Prepare something to say when he crosses the line, but also prepare something to lighten the situation and show him that he doesn't have to be guarded from that point on. Something reassuring, funny, and genuine.

better yet, prepare som jokes and put downs.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
The contributions so far seem to be suggesting essentially that the ENTP should continue doing pretty much as he damm well likes, and bronte is just going to have to change her way of dealing with it. The only snag here, guys, is that it is a lot easier to alter one's outward behaviour (i.e. maybe learn some better manners) than completely restructure one's personality and type orientation, which is what a Fi dominant type like bronte would probably need to do were she to take this as lightly as you suggest and simply return like for like. It would take a very confident INFP with good extraversion skills to do this, and even then she would be vulnerable to being caught off guard and distracted and pressurised by having to deal with it at a moment's notice.

Even if she was able to deal with this sort of treatment in the way you suggest, and do so effectively, it would be natural enough for him to think that she actually enjoys playing his game (I think she has already made clear that she did not) which is only likely to encourage him to play it more, which would simply up the stakes and the pressure on her. There is also the problem that dominant Fi types do not like to upset or offend other people and are quite likely to actually be more hurt themselves and remember it for longer than the person on the recieving end should they inadvertantly (or with Fi self-critical hindsight even intentionally) press the wrong button. And I am sorry to say this, but NT types can be upset by barbed comments too. It's just that they don't tend to worry so much about upstting other people.

However, bronte, I wonder what your part in this is. I don't get the impression of you being very pro-active about it so far (though I could be wrong). Did you actually SAY anything to him about it. Directly? If you are seething or hurting inside but don't let anything show he is not likely to work it out for himself. If you want anything to change I really do think the best option is to be straightforward and direct with him and tell him what the problem is and when it is occuring, and that although you like him as a person you feel uncomfortable being around him when he says and does X, Y, and Z. If he really does like you and respect you I would hope he can be mature enough to at least try to work on his behaviour. If he's just looking for someone to bully and act as a passive target for his remarks, however, you might want to be a little more judgemental than is your wont as an INFP and consider that you are entitled to respect yourself, and are not obliged to be nice to anyone who is not prepared to give you it.

One other point: INFP's because of their reserve and definiteness about their own opinions can come across as somewhat inscrutable, and a little superior to others, even when they are not intending to be anything of the sort. You might want to consider that the derogatory comments could be a sort of subconscsious compensation if he is feeling intimidated by you. But I still think you have the right to expect a certain standard of respect.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Could you give some examples of what this ENTP is doing?

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Could you give some examples of what this ENTP is doing?

Good point actually; I forgot to include that in my post :doh:

The possiblity that bronte's reactions are disproportionate should also be considered; though being an INFP she has probably been beating herself up about this already...

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am certainly not the type that was sought out to respond, not by the OP at least. However, perhaps it couldn't hurt to try at least. :)

Just be who you are bronte. Sometimes that alone can seem like the most difficult thing in the universe. To me, this- as with anything- would require balance. What are you willing to compromise? What about yourself are you going to stand firm upon? As much as I know I would like to change myself to see someone that I like be happy, I cannot change the core of who I am. So I understand that there are some things that I have to keep for myself. Other things can be tweaked, per se, for another person. And please, I mean no offense whatsoever by what I type. I believe though that if he is as interested in you in return- if you truly are that interested in him- then he will be willing to meet you halfway, if this is what you wish to do. When all is said and done however, this is only my opinion.

:shock: Now I wonder if any of that made sense...

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Thanks for all of these replies - each has really got me thinking

I havent worked out how to do multiple quotes (can someone tell me?) so quotes are in bold

They love to screw around . . . so so so much.
I recognise this as being who he is

If you want to have fun with him, then up the sarcasm and whoop him at his own Ne game by being just as quick.

I really wish I could but I can only do this when I feel safe with people - then I can be as quick

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]Prepare something to say when he crosses the line, but also prepare something to lighten the situation and show him that he doesn't have to be guarded from that point on. Something reassuring, funny, and genuine.

this is what Ive tried to do and have had some success with but I can never relax when he's around

It would take a very confident INFP with good extraversion skills to do this, and even then she would be vulnerable to being caught off guard and distracted and pressurised by having to deal with it at a moment's notice.

So well understood ragashree - I do have some good extraversion skills - I have to have in my workplace - but I have to plan carefully in terms of how I use them - this entp wit is so quick I cant keep up.

However, bronte, I wonder what your part in this is. I don't get the impression of you being very pro-active about it so far (though I could be wrong). Did you actually SAY anything to him about it. Directly? If you are seething or hurting inside but don't let anything show he is not likely to work it out for himself. If you want anything to change I really do think the best option is to be straightforward and direct with him and tell him what the problem is and when it is occuring, and that although you like him as a person you feel uncomfortable being around him when he says and does X, Y, and Z. If he really does like you and respect you I would hope he can be mature enough to at least try to work on his behaviour. If he's just looking for someone to bully and act as a passive target for his remarks, however, you might want to be a little more judgemental than is your wont as an INFP and consider that you are entitled to respect yourself, and are not obliged to be nice to anyone who is not prepared to give you it.

The thing I find most difficult is his lack of respect for others - the thing he does which really upsets me is slagging other people off - I do challenge him and tell him he's wrong about the person and thats when the piss taking starts. Once in a meeting when he was being really obnoxious and laughing at the suggestions other people made I told him he was being disrespectful and I directly challenged him - he didnt speak to me for a couple of days and then acted like everything was ok again.

Yet at times he can be very decent and his work is brilliant - I know I can learn a good deal from him and I respect his experience, his knowledge and intuitive understanding of his subjct area - I just wish I could relax a bit more around him -

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For all the ENTP's out there..would it help to just speak to him privately and explain your concerns, so he realizes that she occasionally feels uncomfortable because of the jokes although she does respect and even like him?

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
For all the ENTP's out there..would it help to just speak to him privately and explain your concerns, so he realizes that she occasionally feels uncomfortable because of the jokes although she does respect and even like him?

Most definetly. We take personal matters very seriously and do not wish to protrude on the boundaries of others, we often do it on accident with no malice intended. The golden rule does apply to ENTP's so do treat us like you wish to be treated, as in, if you would want someone to tell you that you are bothering them, then do the same for us.

I am pretty sure the person would respond appropriately, just be sure to explain your preferences and hopefully the ENTP will realize what your needs are and try to accomodate them. If you respect us, we respect you.