• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Was Windows NT really NT?

O

Oberon

Seemed kind of judgmental to me. I'm just sayin'.

Hi, all. ENTP here. Blame Jennifer for inviting me aboard.

-Oberon

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hai!

I have an mp3 of me saying "Windows NT... sucks my dick!" about 8 years ago.

O

Oberon

hai!

I have an mp3 of me saying "Windows NT... sucks my dick!" about 8 years ago.

I guess that would tend to make Windows NT more of a feeler, rather than a thinker. Maybe they should have called it Windows NF?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi, all. ENTP here. Blame Jennifer for inviting me aboard.

Jennifer, you are going to Hell!!! :devil:

By the way, Welcome, Oberon!!! :hi:

And what about Windows ESP? The psychic Windows!

O

Oberon

D'you suppose it's true that the original name for Vista was supposed to be Windows SOL?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But wouldn't you rather go to Hell than spend the rest of eternity singing praises to the Lord?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
D'you suppose it's true that the original name for Vista was supposed to be Windows SOL?

Nah, Longhorn describes it well enough--penis envy. "Micro-soft" just wasn't cutting it for Ballmer's ego.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Please don't hate me. (because I'm beautiful?)

Sigh.

I can't hate you, you just brought in a new ball of string for me to chase, =^.^=

O

Oberon

If I was going to use that avatar, I should have named myself "Reepicheep."

Quiesce

oberon67 said:
Was Windows NT really NT?

Windows 4 iNtuitive?

Ha... hahaha... haha... hahahahaha*falls over*

hahahahahahahaheeeeeee.... hahahahahahaha...

*gasp*

hahahahahahaha...*passes out*

[edit]
That was funny enough on its own, but then I found this article from March, 1993
Windows 4.0? Rumors are that version 4 will be much, much easier to use than any incarnation of version 3 (3.0, 3.1, or 3.2, if there is one). Apparently, you won't have to figure out the system of files and subdirectories--you'll simply be able to request a document with an easy-to-use query system to get the document from the database (your hard disk). Then the system will find it for you and figure out what program to start running, and up will pop your document. Farewell, File Manager. I for one won't be sorry to see it go.
Now that sounds "NT" (in both senses of the term), too bad it took until Vista (Feb, 2007) to manage something that works somewhat like this.

O

Oberon

Yes, well, as far as Vista goes, they can have my Windows XP when they pry it out of my cold, dead fingers. As it stands now, I'd entertain notions of switching to a flavor of Linux before going to Vista.

Quiesce

I like Vista, the enhancements to the various sub-systems are fantastic, and it only gets better once they back-port the kernel changes from Server 2008 to Vista with SP1.

It just needs some third party tools to disable/remove a few portions of the "WOW".

Vista problems aside (UAC is a joke), XP now feels clunky and weak to me.

What are you looking at in terms of Linux? I have messed with various distributions over the years but nothing fit me very well.

(I suspect some of this may end up split from the thread. <_<)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm waiting for a few of the bugs to be picked out of Vista before I get carried away with it.

O

Oberon

I like Vista, the enhancements to the various sub-systems are fantastic, and it only gets better once they back-port the kernel changes from Server 2008 to Vista with SP1.

It just needs some third party tools to disable/remove a few portions of the "WOW".

Vista problems aside (UAC is a joke), XP now feels clunky and weak to me.

What are you looking at in terms of Linux? I have messed with various distributions over the years but nothing fit me very well.

(I suspect some of this may end up split from the thread. <_<)

Well, Ashi, I'm not a programmer nor a power-user. I need my computer to run a few applications and support web browsing and e-mail. From that perspective, XP Pro provides everything I need...when I plug something into the USB port, it's working shortly thereafter. Other than that the OS stays out of my way.

I'm not really a Microsoft fan, but I find that Windows XP Pro is functional and stable, probably the best OS in that regard since Win98, and is easier for those of us who want our computer to be a kind of appliance. It delivers that kind of performance without the huge memory and disk footprint of Vista. Plus, it doesn't call the mothership at regular intervals, having mined your data.

Quiesce

Well, Ashi, I'm not a programmer nor a power-user.

I'm also not either of those, I don't even care about the applications, I just need to manipulate my data (ridiculous amounts of images and documents).

I use OSX, and I was just making conversation since you brought up Linux.

Vista stays in a virtual machine, no phoning home allowed. :devil:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sniff. I miss Windows 3.1.

Not.