• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and motorbikes

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Tired of traffic jams and high petrol prices, I am considering to buy a motorbike. So I try to get informed and question people in my surroundings. But the only bikers seem to be SP's who will tell me about freedom, adrenaline and horsepower...
Help!

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Love riding, it's fuel efficient and fun. Doesn't help at *all* with traffic jams around my area; they don't let you go between the lanes (legally anyhow).

There are a few different "types" of motorcycles:
1. Cruiser/traditional type (relaxed seating position)
2. Sportbike
3. Scooter
4. Dual-purpose (streetable dirt bike, basically)

I ride a large scooter (400cc) and it's pretty good. Scooters are often the only bikes with storage space under the seats; some other bikes have bags on the side for storage. My scooter has a large topcast on the back too for additional storage space.
I think scooters are often touted as the most utilitarian of the M/C's, that's why I bought one. They're almost always automatic transmission too (just about every other type of M/C is manual), usually utilizing a belt-driven CVT.

If I were to replace my scooter with anything else, I'd probably go for a larger bike, possibly one of those sport/dual-purpose fusion type of implements (BMW makes one, and so does Suzuki) due to the fact that I like to ride on dirt/gravel roads in the mountains sometimes. (They're hell on my scooter's suspension)

Sportbikes obviously go the fastest, but that forward seating position..... ick. I've heard it's not really as bad as it looks but I couldn't see myself getting used to it. The traditional type (often without a windshield or fairing), scooters and the dual-purpose bikes have an upright seating position.

There are also "Sport tourers," which are uber expensive and are basically huge sportbikes with a more upright seating position and a lot of conveniences (hard bags on the side, heated grips, electrically adjustable windshields, some have different vents for routing radiator heat to your legs or away from them, etc)

ygolo

My termites win
Get a scooter.

I'll bet scooter clubs are quite different the motorcycle aficionados. Good gas milage, no need for lots of power or speed. Just gets from point A to B and can get through traffic also.

Complete the circle of dorky-ness.

EDIT:I see spirilis already made the point.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Scooters do seem more NT'ish than supersports :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:wubbie: mmm...motorcycles. God, I miss bikers :)

Oh, ehm you were looking for benefits in a T fashion. I'll give it a shot:

Does wonders for your love life ;)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6

please, do elaborate :)

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Hahaha, doubt that applies to scooter riders though :cool:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I prefer a "chopper" (dunno what you call that in English) myself ;) I used to date a guy who had one, and man, it was a kick.

I can relate to the whole "Freedom and adrenaline thing". And then there's the added bonus of a guy in a leather pants and vest, not coz he needs to show off (right :p) but because of 'safety' *drool*

Besides, trust me, put your gf on your own bike and you'll see your bedroom very quickly for two reasons:

a) women loooovvee vibrations :p
b) you will absolutely love the view of a woman with a powerful engine between her legs *grin*

If you're single, well... let's just say that there are plenty of women who dig the bad boy routine and a bike definitely reinforces that image ;)

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So yeah, riding's not too hard, although I HIGHLY recommend going through a training course (here in the USA the Motorcycle Safety Foundation has chapters in every state which do riding courses; it's fun) and obviously it's dangerous. But the most inconvenient part, IMO, is the gear. Putting on a jacket isn't hard but having to put on M/C pants and change boots/etc. is a bit of a hassle. I'm considering buying a one-piece suit for the 3-seasons stuff and some day when I have the money, try out some of that electrically-heated gear for the fall/winter. I have some winter gear but it's not as good as it sounds (you still get cold after a while).

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer a "chopper" (dunno what you call that in English) myself ;) I used to date a guy who had one, and man, it was a kick.
Yeah, it's either choppers/some cruisers or sportbikes that have the "sex appeal."

Besides, trust me, put your gf on your own bike and you'll see your bedroom very quickly for two reasons:

a) women loooovvee vibrations :p
b) you will absolutely love the view of a woman with a powerful engine between her legs *grin*
Haha yup!

If you're single, well... let's just say that there are plenty of women who dig the bad boy routine and a bike definitely reinforces that image ;)
Definitely not a scooter though... ('cept that might attract some NT's? maybe? lol)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Get a sportbike. Scooters are for nerds.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Man, some of you NTs are just a bunch of wusses. Freedom, adrenaline and horsepower are what its ALL about. Get a Street Triple, or better yet a Speed Triple :drool: SO sexy....
Not to inclined a riding position, great looks and enough power to remain a fantastic hooligan machine. I'll be buying one of these puppies (the street triple) ASAP. Did I mention how much I love speed and acceleration!

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
Man, some of you NTs are just a bunch of wusses. Freedom, adrenaline and horsepower are what its ALL about. Get a Street Triple, or better yet a Speed Triple :drool: SO sexy....
Not to inclined a riding position, great looks and enough power to remain a fantastic hooligan machine. I'll be buying one of these puppies (the street triple) ASAP. Did I mention how much I love speed and acceleration!

I used to race motocross......pretty amazing for an intj "nerd". There is no way in hell I would ride street in Chicago. Its not a matter of if...its when. I have a Porsche now...works for me. Evolved from cheap beer to fine wine.......;) Beautifully engineered machine. I'm too old for the track...still remember the smell of two strokes on race day though.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*Lol* that depends on whether or not he can carry of the 'look' :p

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I went from riding a Kawi Ninja EX 250 (bascially a sporty looking scooter) to a Ninja 636. It is a god damn rush, I sold it to help buy a new car, but I find my impuslive side wanting that freedom...

If you got the cash, go for a fast bike. Just make sure you take some riding lessons, or maybe get a crappy bike before hand becuase most new riders will have a 'stupid' crash, I never took lessons and always used the rear brake (which you typically do use on dirt bikes), well one day naturally I locked it up and high-sided the bike in a sudden stop.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I used to race motocross......pretty amazing for an intj "nerd". There is no way in hell I would ride street in Chicago. Its not a matter of if...its when. I have a Porsche now...works for me. Evolved from cheap beer to fine wine.......;) Beautifully engineered machine. I'm too old for the track...still remember the smell of two strokes on race day though.

Hmmmm, I'm a member of my university's FSAE team. I'm itching to buy a bike to supplement my seat time in the race car. The itch for that visceral thrill is so strong.

What Porsche? Not the biggest Porsche fan but I can appreciate a well engineered machine. I find that half the fun is in building the machine. I see an open wheel racer in my near future....

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
unless you're in Italy...

True... or India for that matter. A coworker was telling me how he was high rolling bigtime when he lived in India after he bought his 250cc. Haha 250cc!