• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ways to challenge myself socially while helping other people

ygolo

My termites win
So my therapist told me to crate a long list of thing that would challenge me socially and help someone at the same time.

Got any suggestions?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Volunteer at a soup kitchen?
Visit homes for the elderly and infirm?
Share your computer skills with the elderly?
Look for opportunities for doing random acts of kindness?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Teach a class about something?
I think volunteer work is the best idea, tho.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Volunteer at a soup kitchen?

:thumbup:

These are very good ideas. They should be more or less perfect for what you need.

Share your computer skills with the elderly?
Look for opportunities for doing random acts of kindness?

Meh, to me.

No tech skills (and I don't think you want that kind of frustration, either), and it needs to be specific.

I think you will probably come up with your own ideas, but my quick rule of thumb for you:

1) Avoid what you are familiar with (avoid freegeek, for example)
2) Do something social, with direct feedback (soup kitchen, churches, drives, schools, etc.)
3) Be a body, not an organiser. Show up to do a job, focus on the job... and then go home, having done something to help someone.

ygolo

My termites win
I was thinking something in terms of food-banks, soup kitchens and the like too.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Definitely. Food banks need help, too.
When my husband was unemployed, I had to get food from the food bank.
I really appreciated their help.

Seraph

MBTI Type
INTJ

Most definitely. This is such a great thing to do, and fits the bill quite nicely. While I enjoy interacting with people a great deal (being an E), situations always pop up which are tricky. For example:

Me: Hello, Mrs. F. How are you doing today?
F: I wish I were dead, dead, dead.
Me: That's too bad.
F: It was my 89th birthday yesterday.
Me: Really? Congratulations, that's great news.
F: No it isn't. It means I'm still alive.

You get the idea. While not all of them are as sour as this one (she's a real sweetheart once you get to know her), it forces you to encounter new situations you normally would not find yourself in. Many times you can find some really great people (one of my regular visits can play about every song from 1930-1960 on the piano-by ear).

If this is really something you'd like to do, then I would encourage you to get in touch with the volunteer coordinator at the home and ask about the ones that do not have family in the area and do not receive regular visitors. It may not be evident at first, but after awhile it starts to become a regular thing- I get over to a local home once a week, same time, and I spend about 30-40 min with each one. It really is a fun thing to do, and is very worthwhile.

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
So my therapist told me to crate a long list of thing that would challenge me socially and help someone at the same time.

Got any suggestions?

Isn't this pretty much the definition of community service?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Make a new friend who seems like they could use a friend and some help.