• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Central

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
When I first started on INTPc I shared your views. And they are partly correct, the INTPc does have an Old Boys Club composed of the more active members that does make a new member feel a tad...ignored.

I've found that this is more true of here than INTPc. YMMV, of course.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
If I were to make one criticism about INTPc as a whole is the whole conformation problem. I never really did find that large a group of people who's minds were so similar to mine. Instead I found a group of people who in part HAD to be INTP or would throw themselves off buildings or better yet shoot anyone who's more INTP than they so that they may persist in their point of view of being the most INTP of the lots. Matched with this there seems to be an underlying culture of getting those people together who get along and then label them all with the same type. Realistically I found little insight from a group whom I was hoping would be so awash with fresh insight and discourse as to be a sheer overload. Perhaps my naivety set me up for a disappointment, perhaps I expect too much corrollory from type alone? What I do know is that thinking differently is not supported as INTPs tend to do when relaxed, instead I've found more crossfire and flaming than I'd expect from a whole room full of negative feedback INTJs!

In summation I found INTPc totally non supportive of INTPs and instead more destructive than anything.

I know I've long been someone who's against INTPc but I've yet to see a reason to go back so perhaps my perceptions are out of date.

Perhaps it is a question sometimes of what we need and are seeking from each site, how we are different at each time and place we are in as well.

I've been on both and I prefer INTPc. The destruction was the opposite direction for me vs. Xander. But that is a factor of who I am and what I need.

Jennifer once told me I would be "too soft" for INTPc. But I seem to work out there better. If I had to draw an analogy, MBTIc is like real life, all types, so definitely it'd be easier to find a space to belong to - by definition, it is a space for all N types?

Or as I was telling MacG, another more cynical way of saying it is simply, it is easier to find a clique to belong to here. *sic*

But like RL, you end up having to sieve through a lot more noise to find some meaningful sounds, and to make some of your own too, in a way. It is fun if you're up for it, for sure. That is one way connections can be made.

But if I'm seeking quiet people, I find in INTPc a comfort because there is little need to explain what I mean. The mind is more free, in a way. They may disagree, but you get how the mind works. There is less of the meta-explaining of what I mean, making sure others get the gist and do not see it as insults etc. The site has its own unique brand of flaws, but this isn't the place to go into it.

Regardless, it is different strokes for different folks. I see no reason to have to force a divide/competition/choice. People will move between places, IRL, online, as they grow and outgrow each thing.

I've met good people on both. I think on both I've been welcome.

As long as the sites meet the members' needs, and people are around in one form or other, isn't that what matters.

Perhaps our own acceptance / rejection, and insistence on seeing each site as bad/good, is merely our own limitations on adaptability. In that, it is easier to adapt in a space for all types than for one type, I guess?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the part that resonated with me a lot, and really describes how I felt at INTPc. It often describes INTJs and INTPs in my life too.
I may challenge the premises and the question asked/ task given but it's with the aim of working towards going forward toward a solution not scoring points or taking the initial premises to pieces to show it all as a bunch of BS.

Fixed.

Xander is such an INTJ. No self-respecting INTP would write that.
:p

In all seriousness, picking ideas apart is the way we make sense of the world. To only decide to challenge the status quo when you have a safety blanket to fall back on is intellectual cowardice. It is tantamount to superstition.

Picking people apart, is a different matter.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps our own acceptance / rejection, and insistence on seeing each site as bad/good, is merely our own limitations on adaptability. In that, it is easier to adapt in a space for all types than for one type, I guess?

Limitation?
Or discrimination?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Fixed.

Xander is such an INTJ. No self-respecting INTP would write that.
:p

In all seriousness, picking ideas apart is the way we make sense of the world. To only decide to challenge the status quo when you have a safety blanket to fall back on is intellectual cowardice. It is tantamount to superstition.

Picking people apart, is a different matter.
This is the point though is it not, if all you do is pick things apart then all you end up with is a mess of components. If you pick all knowledge and understanding apart then you end up understanding nothing except that things can be taken apart. It's only in building and recognising each parts connection to the greater whole that things can truely be understood.

At the end of the day there's two ways to make a snowman. Either you start with a huge block and carve it out or you add stuff to it to make the various features. Personally I prefer a combination of the two and I find this site more supportive of such an approach.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the point though is it not, if all you do is pick things apart then all you end up with is a mess of components. If you pick all knowledge and understanding apart then you end up understanding nothing except that things can be taken apart. It's only in building and recognising each parts connection to the greater whole that things can truely be understood.

If you don't pick things apart, all you end up with is a black box full of superstition. As Mac has said, building comes later.

When I was a child I used to take everything apart - toys, radios, electronic components. I didn't always have the skill to put them back together again. All I had was an insatiable curiosity. This frustrated my dad no end. Eventually he bought me a mechano set.

What is my point? I don't always have one. :)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Limitation?
Or discrimination?

A boundary is a question of whether one is inside or out. What is discrimination to one could be a limitation to another.

What I was driving at was it is up to the individual to decide, that is all. There's no cause to say INTPs have to be at INTPc, and INTPc is only for INTPs.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A boundary is a question of whether one is inside or out. What is discrimination to one could be a limitation to another.

What I was driving at was it is up to the individual to decide, that is all. There's no cause to say INTPs have to be at INTPc, and INTPc is only for INTPs.

True.

And what I meant was that being selective could be said to be indicative of discriminating judgement, rather than indicative of one's own limitations.
Discrimination can be a force for good as well as evil.

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
When I was a child I used to take everything apart - toys, radios, electronic components. I didn't always have the skill to put them back together again. All I had was an insatiable curiosity. This frustrated my dad no end.

Heh. Me too, everything I could get my hands on, although I always put them back together. Mom got pissed when she caught me with her entirely dismantled "fancy watch" laid out on the kitchen table in front of me (I especially loved taking apart tiny things) I was probably 9 or 10, I told her to relax and I put it all back together and it worked fine, after that she would ask me to fix things.
It was cool, I'm quite handy.

The taking apart and seeing how things work is the most important part for me, I MUST know how things work, once I know, I generally lose interest and don't bother putting it back together unless I have to.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll wander over there on a rare occasion, but I generally lurk instead of post (unless something arises and gives me the opportunity to be snarky without having to know anyone, like BlackMage's typing thread! :) ).

I'm established here and feel at home here and it's faster paced, which I like.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I may do that- I'm inside more during the winter and need to let out my pent up bitchiness SOMEWHERE! :devil:

and who would be more fun to commit crimes with than you? :heart:

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
I may do that- I'm inside more during the winter and need to let out my pent up bitchiness SOMEWHERE! :devil:

and who would be more fun to commit crimes with than you? :heart:

Oh, the havoc we could wreak. :devil:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh dear. Whatever + Delilah let loose. Maybe MBTIc is safer afterall.

Re: bluemonday, yes, so it is up to the individual to decide where he wants to draw his lines. I see no reason for some of the posts which go this site is bad/this site is better etc.

At the end of the day, we need different grounds to grow. Know your own limits/judgements, and leave for others space.

Chemgrl82

MBTI Type
eNTj
Enneagram
8w7
At the end of the day, we need different grounds to grow. Know your own limits/judgements, and leave for others space.

There's a lot of truth in this. Thanks, aelan. For me, INTPc fosters growth for me a bit more than here. However, it's always good to come here for a wider persepctive on things.

I probably should hang out here a bit more than I do.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What? We are sweet and snuggly!

Like kodiak bears.

isn't the world better off with fun, Aelan? Or are you the fun police :thelook:

ok- that's it! You're getting carted off to ESTJ central! :D