• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Central

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
It saddens me I miss out on the good stuff like this, you know as an Aussie I can really swing a mean cricket bat, I’d be handy.

*looks on adoringly*

You're Aussie and can handle a bat! :wubbie:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
*looks on adoringly*

You're Aussie and can handle a bat! :wubbie:

Yuppers. And I do love me ISFPs too, good pick there :D

It's also fun watching Synarch going a little crazy cause of your change :devil:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah, this one time, this INTP n00b came to an INTPc meetup and we jumped him in the parking lot and beat him with cricket bats. When he finally stumbled into the bar, he called the cops and accused us of beating him. Everyone had a good laugh, because honestly, who in America even knows what a cricket bat LOOKS like?

He took the hint and stopped posting.
In true INTP style I'm over egging it for impact of course.

Besides being hit in the head with a teddy once is irritating but when you begin to feel like someone's got an artillery unit firing the damned things at you it's a totally new teddy park.

I guess it's the whole thing of INTPc doesn't necessarily mean that all INTPs are welcome. As with everything only certain people are included. It's a necessary trait of the beast.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In true INTP style I'm over egging it for impact of course.

Besides being hit in the head with a teddy once is irritating but when you begin to feel like someone's got an artillery unit firing the damned things at you it's a totally new teddy park.

I guess it's the whole thing of INTPc doesn't necessarily mean that all INTPs are welcome. As with everything only certain people are included. It's a necessary trait of the beast.

Why don't you feel included?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's like an owl sitting in a tree, only the opposite.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Why don't you feel included?
I'm obviously not of the right country/ culture and have differing ideas on things. Also I'm not negative feedback and so don't always find it humourous or helpful to have everything shot full of holes. There is a minority that I recall who would build upon an idea and read until they understood but there was a far greater majority who would criticise until you either persuaded them or gave up and who would rather read the surface or just ask for things to be spoonfed before they would engage. Oddly though the spoonfeeding would not be obvious otherwise it would be deemed as patronising and still garner little response.

Oh and personally... too many damned 5s!!
:steam:

Screw bunker busting ammunition... I want something that'll level a cave permanently.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmm.. I enjoyed the "everyone thinks they're a critic" atmosphere when I was there. I didn't find it too boisterous or too facetious at all.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hmm.. I enjoyed the "everyone thinks they're a critic" atmosphere when I was there. I didn't find it too boisterous or too facetious at all.
It's not really criticism I experienced though... more like a group of geeks who after being pushed around by jocks for too long decided to band together and form their own style of bully tactics. Most of the time it's just irritating but occasionally it's tiring enough to be truely annoying.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It's not really criticism I experienced though... more like a group of geeks who after being pushed around by jocks for too long decided to band together and form their own style of bully tactics. Most of the time it's just irritating but occasionally it's tiring enough to be truely annoying.

"Bully tactics" against specific kinds of posters? Who were they used on?

I just didn't notice the malice you're talking about, so I'm wondering.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

When I first started on INTPc I shared your views. And they are partly correct, the INTPc does have an Old Boys Club composed of the more active members that does make a new member feel a tad...ignored.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
"Bully tactics" against specific kinds of posters? Who were they used on?

I just didn't notice the malice you're talking about, so I'm wondering.
I don't think it's aimed like malice would infer.. more in general. Kinda more like the world doesn't normally conform to their standards so on their forum everyone will conform to make up for it.

I've been told that it's probably a case of too many non INTPs. I certainly don't get the whole 'accepting of all types of people' thing which is supposed to be quite common amoungst INTPs. I guess it doesn't help that half the culture is a sight more brash and brazen that what I'm used to. A lot less listening and a whole lot more talking, especially louder than the last guy.

When I first started on INTPc I shared your views. And they are partly correct, the INTPc does have an Old Boys Club composed of the more active members that does make a new member feel a tad...ignored.
I was on about 3,500 posts when I finally gave up. There are some who are quite stuck in their views.

A good example of my problem with INTPc
INTP Central - View Single Post - Is there any useful philosophy?

Why pull everything down and deconstruct everything just to say "See there's a flaw"? That's too easy. It's soo easy it's not even interesting to read most of the time. Why don't more people expand, build upon, actually try to get somewhere other than the conclusion that nothing is perfect? I could have told people that nothing is perfect and saved them hours of wasted time.

Last edited by a moderator:

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Two separate threads going now (set up by madmins, no less) trying to pinch our INTPs. It's just not on.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A good example of my problem with INTPc
INTP Central - View Single Post - Is there any useful philosophy?

Why pull everything down and deconstruct everything just to say "See there's a flaw"? That's too easy. It's soo easy it's not even interesting to read most of the time. Why don't more people expand, build upon, actually try to get somewhere other than the conclusion that nothing is perfect? I could have told people that nothing is perfect and saved them hours of wasted time.

Why? Ti. Introverted thinking takes everything apart. You offer something up, it's going to get taken apart. Is it the deconstruction you don't like, or that they don't eventually come around to your conclusions? Like ajblaise said, I'm not really seeing the malice, just a large share of skepticism. They are trying to figure out how and why something works. Building is more extraveted thinking. That will come later, if ever.

I remember going around and around with a few posters over the "alogical" and "God". Months later, mgb admitted that I got the best of him in that debate. Now one of us will post "alogical" and laugh at it.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Why? Ti. Introverted thinking takes everything apart. You offer something up, it's going to get taken apart. Is it the deconstruction you don't like, or that they don't eventually come around to your conclusions? Like ajblaise said, I'm not really seeing the malice, just a large share of skepticism. They are trying to figure out how and why something works. Building is more extraveted thinking. That will come later, if ever.

I remember going around and around with a few posters over the "alogical" and "God". Months later, mgb admitted that I got the best of him in that debate. Now one of us will post "alogical" and laugh at it.
So when we're building all those concepts and questions we're extraverting? That doesn't ring true to me personally.

Anyhow it's not a matter of constructive criticism but time wasters. When you post something up and then have to deal with people who just argue over semantics or just want to sit there and point out other people's work which is on the same lines it's boring. Where's the discussion? It's just a clay pidgeon shoot.

Give me a problem to solve and I'll offer possible solutions. I may challenge the premises and the question asked/ task given but it's with the aim of working towards going forward toward a solution not scoring points or taking the initial premises to pieces to show it all as a bunch of BS. Anything can be proven to be BS if you try hard enough. Damn it we can't even prove our maths and logic is only a work in progress. There are no rules and so having a bunch of people pull stuff apart because it doesn't work from a specific standpoint without offering a way in which it would work is just pointless.

Personally the only reason I ever started coming onto forums was to discuss those ideas that most people I know irl find outside of their interests. I joined INTPc because it was suggested to me that amoungst a group of INTPs pretty much anything could be discussed to a hearts content. Instead I just found a remake on the usual "that doesn't seem like all my other ideas ergo it must be wrong let's burn it". I've found more acceptance of looking at things differently from a bunch of people grouped together in a forum designed around general psychology discussion than I ever did trying to connect with a bunch of people who take pride in how standoffish they can be. Maybe it's just me but I'd think it more arrogant to extrapolate and try and cover other's points of view so there you go... basically.

I mean it's not like I dislike the average INTP. It just seems that in such a concentration it's not only validation for some of the more antisocial attributes but almost encouragement.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
but it's with the aim of working towards going forward toward a solution not scoring points

This is the part that resonated with me a lot, and really describes how I felt at INTPc. It often describes INTJs and INTPs in my life too. I also don't believe it is intrinsic - often when told what they are doing, they stop and become constructive... that is, in RL, not when there are a lot of them supporting one another :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
This is the part that resonated with me a lot, and really describes how I felt at INTPc. It often describes INTJs and INTPs in my life too. I also don't believe it is intrinsic - often when told what they are doing, they stop and become constructive... that is, in RL, not when there are a lot of them supporting one another :D
Hadn't thought of that. I've only one NT friend and he's an INTJ. We often spend a whole lot of time sparing to no particular end. It's quite frightening when we agree. Solutions come quicker than the problems almost!

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hadn't thought of that. I've only one NT friend and he's an INTJ. We often spend a whole lot of time sparing to no particular end. It's quite frightening when we agree. Solutions come quicker than the problems almost!

:) It depends on the degree and the goal, I suppose. At work, it is highly annoying. In personal life, it depends on the topic and the personal involvement with it.

I always think of it as equivalent to the male "outdo one another" things.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
:) It depends on the degree and the goal, I suppose. At work, it is highly annoying. In personal life, it depends on the topic and the personal involvement with it.

I always think of it as equivalent to the male "outdo one another" things.
Ah a new expansion for INTPc. A virtual table with a tape measure fixed to it and a small sign saying "put up or shut up". :D