• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Corporate America using mbti....

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
Interesting day (loosely)...I did a freelance video install for a "rally the troops" corporate meeting. The first three hours were ironically dedicated to utilizing MBTI typecasting to deal with clients and employee interrelations. I told the lady running it I was an intj...she kept staring at me all day. I would like to rationalize it was because I am a "looker"..;) but she was married in her fifties . Anyway, they separated the room into four groups who were then shown a painting on screen. They were asked to list what they saw. Three groups tested sensor....they saw the picture in very basic terms. "Houses, six geese, red roof"...these types of observations. The intuitives used "classic, vintage and European". This may be helpful next time making small talk...

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
My problem is I never know how to respond to such things. My visual identification is terrible so I would notice the most simplistic general aspect of things and miss out. If I were to put concerted effort I could come to more prototypical N responses but with art it always seems like a complicated game with no instructions.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
art always seems like a complicated game with no instructions.

Much like life......thats why this shit is in museums. It is a gauge of where we are as a species. My line is "art doesnt come looking for you...you seek it out when you need it".:)

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Much like life......thats why this shit is in museums. It is a gauge of where we are as a species. My line is "art doesnt come looking for you...you seek it out when you need it".:)

Or you just toss it down in frustration like a controller.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting day (loosely)...I did a freelance video install for a "rally the troops" corporate meeting. The first three hours were ironically dedicated to utilizing MBTI typecasting to deal with clients and employee interrelations. I told the lady running it I was an intj...she kept staring at me all day. I would like to rationalize it was because I am a "looker"..;) but she was married in her fifties . Anyway, they separated the room into four groups who were then shown a painting on screen. They were asked to list what they saw. Three groups tested sensor....they saw the picture in very basic terms. "Houses, six geese, "red roof"...these types of observations. The intuitives used "classic, vintage and European". This may be helpful next time making small talk...

Yeah, the people put in charge of presenting MBTI at corporate events often don't know wtf they are talking about, making it a big waste of everybody's time. Usually it's some HR lady who doesn't know ass from elbow, who discovered an article on MBTI two weeks ago and thought it would be "fun" to show it to people.

I was taking a Continuing Legal Education course in New York. One day was dedicated to Myers Briggs and how it could help attorneys deal with clients. The woman giving the presentation mixed up Sensing with Intuition and confused everybody in the audience. I literally had to yell out a clarification from the back of the room to get the lecture back on track.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
Yeah, the people put in charge of presenting MBTI at corporate events often don't know wtf they are talking about, making it a big waste of everybody's time. Usually it's some HR lady who doesn't know ass from elbow, who discovered an article on MBTI two weeks ago and thought it would be "fun" to show it to people.

I was taking a Continuing Legal Education course in New York. One day was dedicated to Myers Briggs and how it could help attorneys deal with clients. The woman giving the presentation mixed up Sensing with Intuition and confused everybody in the audience. I literally had to yell out a clarification from the back of the room to get the lecture back on track.

Its funny because I just happened to bring "man and his symbols" by Jung. I mentioned it to her and she replied "oh, thats heady stuff". I was like "fuck, these people went to college".:yes:

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Its funny because I happened to bring "man and his symbols" by Jung. I mentioned it to her and she replied "oh, thats heady stuff". I was like "fuck, these people went to college".:yes:

She was probably just threatened by your INTJness. You guys have a way of doing that, especially with your wise as retorts(sensed it in your "clarification")

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Its funny because I happened to bring "man and his symbols" by Jung. I mentioned it to her and she replied "oh, thats heady stuff". I was like "fuck, these people went to college".:yes:

See that kind of shit is the reason why Myers Briggs isn't given the credit it deserves.

If I didn't know any better and attended a lecture by one of those nitwits I'd be like "this is stupid, why waste time on it"

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
MBTI should never be used in the employment process, imo.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
MBTI should never be used in the employment process, imo. What, just because I'm an EFNP I can't be a programmer, for example? Test my capabilities, not my type....

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
MBTI should never be used in the employment process, imo. What, just because I'm an EFNP I can't be a programmer, for example? Test my capabilities, not my type....

They literally had people put four name tags on. She did actually mention Jung's name during the presentation but said "we wont go into that". It was extremely dumbed down. They passed out a booklet with child like illustrations of each type. I was some guy reaching for the stars. INTP was a guy juggling a bunch of shit. INFP was a child with a doll and a pistol (joking).:D

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

It's actually an unethical use of type and everyone who goes through a real qualifying program is taught that. ..sigh.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
They literally had people put four name tags on. She did actually mention Jung's name during the presentation but said "we wont go into that". It was extremely dumbed down. They passed out a booklet with child like illustrations of each type. I was some guy reaching for the stars. INTP was a guy juggling a bunch of shit. INFP was a child with a doll and a pistol (joking).:D

The shame is you can move to application so quickly. I might take a whole morning to introduce the preferences but at every preference pair we look at workplace implications to identify differences in motivations, communication needs, meeting efficiencies, etc. By lunch we're on to solving the team's real problems but everyone has a better delineation between normal differences and things to get upset over...

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
It's actually an unethical use of type and everyone who goes through a real qualifying program is taught that. ..sigh.

That's a major issue for me... I like to hear your approach and side a lot because I've seen a few bad implementations... makes me have a bit more faith.

The sad thing is that I'm sure I could say they have the right intentions, either. All too often they *are* using it as sorting mechanism, and even if they do so ignorantly, it causes divides and misunderstandings (especially in areas that are dominantly one type) without the right guidance (and it seems, sometimes even then.)

Sometimes I'm torn behind the principles of helping bring people together by letting them understand their differences... and between knowing that pointing out differences causes many rifts. All too often a group will fragment if the majority doesn't already side on the open-minded portion.

I have never heard of almost any personality profiling being used in anything but sales positions (and that isn't MBTI or anything similar).

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
BlueWings book (i read the intro online :) ) made a mention of why the MBTI is not taken seriously:

it lacks rigor to the average person. Your example of how the lady basically scoffed at Jung is exactly the kind that lacks "rigor". It would be like if some moron showed up to the office to talk about health and weight training, only to scoff at something written by Mark Ripptoe...

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have never heard of almost any personality profiling being used in anything but sales positions (and that isn't MBTI or anything similar).

Last week I used it with a fundraising team. Leadership/management at that company comes in a couple weeks, as well as a session with the HR people who are actually trained on the MBTI so they can use it more effectively (and hopefully avoid putting on sessions like the OP describes!)

I've used it with regulatory groups to help them better communicate to the rest of the company why they are friends to marketing, not foes.

Teachers and school leaders...that's my main market. I love getting all of a district's principals in a room and watching them fall off their chairs as they become aware of their biases. Almost as good as spirituality workshops with pastors and lay people mixed together :devil:

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
BlueWings book (i read the intro online :) ) made a mention of why the MBTI is not taken seriously:

it lacks rigor to the average person. Your example of how the lady basically scoffed at Jung is exactly the kind that lacks "rigor". It would be like if some moron showed up to the office to talk about health and weight training, only to scoff at something written by Mark Ripptoe...

Bluewing has a book? Post the link!

GeorgeHowell

MBTI Type
INTJ
MBTI should never be used in the employment process, imo.

Indeed it should not. The tendency will be for management to select people they are likely to feel comfortable with rather than those who will do the best job in a particular field. These will typically be the so called 'stable extroverts' :- easy going, compliant, flexible, conservative etc etc.