• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Manipulation VS Sweet Talking

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just read this article:

How to Be a Sweet-Talker - Esquire

When I finished, I'm sure I had this look on my face like 'what an ass...' laced with a tinge of envy toward those who can always seem to get what they want or need.

Is this kind of thing just something that people should learn as a 'survival skill', or is there just something morally wrong with it? (Read through to the end, you'll see what I mean)

I find myself thinking 'That's messed up', and I know that I've been the person duped by this kind of ... manipulation? ... more than once. I'm the person coming back to the counter to reclaim what I thought was mine, only to find that someone else had taken it.

While this kind of attitude brings me in second place a lot, I don't think I could be this kind of 'sweet talker' without having some conscience issues...

:huh:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
He almost sweet-talked me to sleep with that bore of an article.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I only do it in bed.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
My ESFJ sister is brilliant at all of that, always sweet talking/bartering for a better deal. She has no qualms about it and figures if she can get away ith it then why the hell not.

At times I stand in awe of the ability and wish I could sweet talk the shop owner into giving me some freebies, at others I am disgusted because it can be too manipulative.

However if it's just a store, an upgrade, some freebies, then why the hell not? it's when she manipulates peoples emotions to get other stuff that it bothers me.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
"Sweet-talking" is like any ability. Used for good, it's good. Used for bad, it's bad.

Trying to get what you want is the norm in most societies. In the West, we just have such a fetish for the sanctity of the individual that we are not comfortable interacting on such a mercenarial and direct level with our fellows, despite the fact that it is sometimes to your advantage to go after what you want while not disadvantaging anyone else. This type of behavior is the norm everywhere else. I say learn to use it or defend against rather than making a value judgment on its ethical weight.

In each case this guy cited, he was able to gain while not costing someone else. He got what he wanted by creating allies and certainly at the store he bought the product, so the store owner came out ahead.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
.. I don't think people should be fake. When it comes to stores, you have to haggle because otherwise people are going to rip you off, the sad reality of it all. They want to get everything they can, and so do you, so in the end it's who's the victor.

It's a different story when you're sweet talking a girl. I know I've been the 'victim' of sweet talking before, and nothing pissed me off more, and unfortunately any nice conversation/compliments are now taken as wary, big-red warning flags for possible other motives.. So I think when used in that way, it's way more damaging than helpful in the end.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
The truth is, and I know NF's hate such cynicism, but words and 'feelings' do not mean anything. They are air. They are variable. They change. Building anything on feeling or words, is a risk.

The only thing you can safely rely on is judging people by their actions. This will reveal where their true feelings and commitments lie. Look at the decisions people make, watch what they do, observe how they treat people they do not need to impress.

Edit: Also, make people earn your trust.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
"Sweet-talking" is like any ability. Used for good, it's good. Used for bad, it's bad.

Trying to get what you want is the norm in most societies. In the West, we just have such a fetish for the sanctity of the individual that we are not comfortable interacting on such a mercenarial and direct level with our fellows, despite the fact that it is sometimes to your advantage to go after what you want while not disadvantaging anyone else. This type of behavior is the norm everywhere else. I say learn to use it or defend against rather than making a value judgment on its ethical weight.

In each case this guy cited, he was able to gain while not costing someone else. He got what he wanted by creating allies and certainly at the store he bought the product, so the store owner came out ahead.

This is the debatable point. What about the person who probably needed the store item just as badly as he did and was expecting it to be there after they went to get whatever they went for. THAT person is the unwitting loser in this instance. In my opinion that isn't haggling, its just dirty.

:devil:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just worry about preventing myself from getting screwed; I often do this by making screwing me over as difficult as possible. The more they sweat the possibility that none of their tricks will work the happier I am.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The truth is, and I know NF's hate such cynicism, but words and 'feelings' do not mean anything. They are air. They are variable. They change. Building anything on feeling or words, is a risk.

The only thing you can safely rely on is judging people by their actions. This will reveal where their true feelings and commitments lie. Look at the decisions people make, watch what they do, observe how they treat people they do not need to impress.

Edit: Also, make people earn your trust.
What's cynical about that? That's just sense, IMO.

Charm is deceitful
And beauty is vain (fleeting?)
But the woman who fears the Lord is too be praised.

I've always thought it could apply to men, too.

I was raised around charming and somewhat unreliable people, so learned an appreciation for the less shiny, but reliable ones. Doesn't mean I don't still enjoy the shiny ones, but I'm just very cautious and watchful for what the shiny might be hiding. Sometimes the shiny really is gold, but not, unfortunately, very often.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
What's cynical about that? That's just sense, IMO.

Charm is deceitful
And beauty is vain (fleeting?)
But the woman who fears the Lord is too be praised.

I've always thought it could apply to men, too.

I was raised around charming and somewhat unreliable people, so learned an appreciation for the less shiny, but reliable ones. Doesn't mean I don't still enjoy the shiny ones, but I'm just very cautious and watchful for what the shiny might be hiding. Sometimes the shiny really is gold, but not, unfortunately, very often.

Most of the shiny stuff is made in China, and it's toxic crap.

(Jessica Biel's shiny ass featured in my avatar is a rare exception)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

QF Me, too.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
The last person to sweet-talk me was my mom, and if anyone ever tries that with me again, they might lose their two front teeth.

I hate manipulation, even the pretty looking ones.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
The last person to sweet-talk me was my mom, and if anyone ever tries that with me again, they might lose their two front teeth.

How could you punch your dear sweet-talking mother in the face?

Shame on you.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of the shiny stuff is made in China, and it's toxic crap.

(Jessica Biel's shiny ass featured in my avatar is a rare exception)

Oh, it's an ass? I thought it was a spangly, slightly deformed knee. I mean to ask you about that.
Dogs-in-hats pwn spangly asses.
Bring him back!

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, it's an ass? I thought it was a spangly, slightly deformed knee. I mean to ask you about that.
Dogs-in-hats pwn spangly asses.
Bring him back!

Patience... my pet.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
My ESFP step-daughter is a master manipulator with sweet talking. She was a better "negotiator" than her parents at age 9 already. She has consistently talked other people into footing her finacial bills and getting whatever she wants. Recent run-ins with the criminal justice system have temporarily put an end to that however.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I can do it, but it isn't somehting that I do everyday. Usually I use it with my superiors, not with people I love, and I can't see anything wrong with that. It's just fighting for what do you want.