• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Are you "full of yourself?"

ygolo

My termites win
NT's are perhaps the temperament most known for their arrogance.

Do you find certain things to be so simple and boring that you you put off doing them for a long time?

Do you believe you are capable of doing much more than what you're current responsibilities are but do lack luster on the current "simple" responsibilities?

If you have them, do you believe you can overcome these tendencies? If so, how?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes.
I don't know if this applies to me, I'm self employed. edit: (<--lol, that sounded kind of arrogant)
Probably not.

I'm not sure how being guilty of the first tendency makes me arrogant and full of myself necessarily.

T

ThatGirl

I dont get why NTs are always complaining of boredom. Intellectually speaking I am never bored. One I have figured something out then I challenge my self with in it. Its that whole setting number goal thing.

Anyway only boring people get bored.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everyone's full of themselves.

They just express it in different ways.

NTs might be more obvious especially if you get into intelligence or competence issues.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I dont get why NTs are always complaining of boredom. Intellectually speaking I am never bored. One I have figured something out then I challenge my self with in it. Its that whole setting number goal thing.

Anyway only boring people get bored.

I think he's talking more getting being bored with doing menial tasks and the like.

I hardly ever get bored in general, but there are boring and unstimulating tasks that I put off sometimes.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yep.

Yep.

Why would I want to overcome those tendencies? Then i'd act more like an SJ and that would freak me out. Monotone responsibilities suck. Crisis, please. Challenges... :)

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Do you find certain things to be so simple and boring that you you put off doing them for a long time?

I'm doing that right now.

Do you believe you are capable of doing much more than what you're current responsibilities are but do lack luster on the current "simple" responsibilities?

I have some simple responsibilities and some harder ones that have no upper limits. I am capable of doing better with the harder ones, but I seem to lack the motivation to do much more with them. I already excel at a few things, and in those areas I am sometimes content to coast.

I probably can push myself more...but then I need motivation for that in turn. Catch-22. :huh:

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
To be honest, I'm barely seeing the connection between your title and questions. The title obviously has a negative connotation, as does the question about getting over the listed tendencies. Really, though, I don't see anything wrong with what you listed in your questions.

or perhaps i'm just full of myself, :D

T

ThatGirl

Its the whole this is beneath me thing.

All throughout life I had a way of turning the things I hated the most into a fun challenge. Untill I found out that I was an ENTP and it was holy shit I don't have to like doing this and its ok. But things still need to get done I just lost my gusto. So here is me saying screw boredom, you're smart, find a way to make it interesting.

Its a stupid realization to say this bores me because it doesn't matter and its not a good strategy

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

All throughout life I had a way of turning the things I hated the most into a fun challenge. Untill I found out that I was an ENTP and it was holy shit I don't have to like doing this and its ok. But things still need to get done I just lost my gusto. So here is me saying screw boredom, you're smart, find a way to make it interesting.

ENT's might not do this as much, but I'll completely and automatically zone out/day dream/get into deep thought when I have to do mundane tasks.

The only way to make doing the dishes interesting for me is to totally detach from the situation.

T

ThatGirl

That's perfect sometimes mundane chores are my only thereputic alone time. I'm not doing nothing I am cutting two thousand foils for hightlights, oh this is boring, don't worry ill finish it because I'm cool like that you can go it won't bother me.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Who doesn't? I don't think it's a type dependent thing. Although being a J has its perks in getting things done (eventually...)

For some tasks yes. I'm an idea person... much better at planning than implementing small details. Sometimes I get irritated by what I consider as ineffective group decisions.

I wouldn't call it being "full of myself" because I know perfectly well where my strengths and weaknesses lies. But I do try to go along with group decisions even if I think things could be done better. For the little things anyhow, if it's going to cause problems later on I'll definitely point them out.

ygolo

My termites win

Its a stupid realization to say this bores me because it doesn't matter and its not a good strategy

So what are some ways you make things interesting?

The usual suggestion of turning it into a game isn't particularly effective because the only reason I like games is for the "puzzle" aspect of them, I get very little motivation from "winning." I also hate time-pressure, so trying to see how fast I can do it is actually counter-productive. Figuring out how to automate it, however, is fun, but not always practical.

ENT's might not do this as much, but I'll completely and automatically zone out/day dream/get into deep thought when I have to do mundane tasks.

The only way to make doing the dishes interesting for me is to totally detach from the situation.

That's perfect sometimes mundane chores are my only thereputic alone time. I'm not doing nothing I am cutting two thousand foils for hightlights, oh this is boring, don't worry ill finish it because I'm cool like that you can go it won't bother me.

There are somethings that are mundane but requires enough mental attention to do them--so I can't zone out. Dishes don't tend to be a problem, except when I am in a mode of not wanting to do anything at all.

Things like reading through your mail for bills and financial info. to see if you missed anything (I toss out all the garbage, but still there is a lot of things that look like tax-info or bills) do require some focus.

Tasks at work, that essentially involve reading a schematics and taking note of signals that need to be connected to corresponding places in another design, going through and adding up all the decoupling capacitance in a design, and other such things--not too bad in small doses, but sometimes, that is the only type of thing to do for months on end.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Definitely yes. I often exploit the ease of my job to slack off at work because I know no one cares and/or sometimes encourages it.

Hmm, well, no. It's not so much that I lack luster on my current responsibilities but when I do focus on them, they can get overwhelming very fast which is slowing me down from taking on more responsibilities.

No.

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
WELL I'm certainly not full of other people...!

T

ThatGirl

So what are some ways you make things interesting?

The usual suggestion of turning it into a game isn't particularly effective because the only reason I like games is for the "puzzle" aspect of them, I get very little motivation from "winning." I also hate time-pressure, so trying to see how fast I can do it is actually counter-productive. Figuring out how to automate it, however, is fun, but not always practical.

There are somethings that are mundane but requires enough mental attention to do them--so I can't zone out. Dishes don't tend to be a problem, except when I am in a mode of not wanting to do anything at all.

Things like reading through your mail for bills and financial info. to see if you missed anything (I toss out all the garbage, but still there is a lot of things that look like tax-info or bills) do require some focus.

Tasks at work, that essentially involve reading a schematics and taking note of signals that need to be connected to corresponding places in another design, going through and adding up all the decoupling capacitance in a design, and other such things--not too bad in small doses, but sometimes, that is the only type of thing to do for months on end.

Well, thats a toughy,

In regards to mail I usually keep my own list of things that need to be attended to and rely little on actual statments for that. So even if things get trashed it doesn't matter because Ive already got that covered. It takes me less than an hour to organize evrything and that time seems like an accomplishment to me.

I don't give a shit about winning either, but at the same time (and maybe I am self depreciating who knows) I understand that I could not possibly be the best at my job. There is always someone or something better. So I just focus on what other people have that I dont and keep trying to learn.

At the rare chance that I have somehow maxed out my field then I would simply shift my focus to the next level above. But, to me everything is a ladder effect.

If I love what I do but have a hard time with details within it, the I just keep my mind focused on the bigger picture.

But i am one of those who challenges myself with little accomplishments to justify my reaching for greater. If I focus too far ahead I become overwhelmed. I find some sort of security in knowing no one could accomplish what I can and I am somehow indispensible.

ygolo

My termites win
WELL I'm certainly not full of other people...!

That's a pretty common retort it seems. But the use of a popular statement like that indicates you may indeed be full of other people. Some say we are just meme machines.

Well, thats a toughy,

In regards to mail I usually keep my own list of things that need to be attended to and rely little on actual statments for that. So even if things get trashed it doesn't matter because Ive already got that covered. It takes me less than an hour to organize evrything and that time seems like an accomplishment to me.

I don't give a shit about winning either, but at the same time (and maybe I am self depreciating who knows) I understand that I could not possibly be the best at my job. There is always someone or something better. So I just focus on what other people have that I dont and keep trying to learn.

At the rare chance that I have somehow maxed out my field then I would simply shift my focus to the next level above. But, to me everything is a ladder effect.

If I love what I do but have a hard time with details within it, the I just keep my mind focused on the bigger picture.

But i am one of those who challenges myself with little accomplishments to justify my reaching for greater. If I focus too far ahead I become overwhelmed. I find some sort of security in knowing no one could accomplish what I can and I am somehow indispensible.

I am talking about circumstances when you have to do something to keep you job (or something along those lines) but you cannot seem to engage on the tasks at hand.

What if you have to take care of the details to keep your job? or if you have to stay focused on what you are doing currently (without some form of career change)?

Mail may be a bad example, since that isn't really a major problem, just a nuisance.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
When I have to do mundane things around the house like sort laundry, sweep floors, iron clothes, I usually get on the phone so I can have a stimulating conversation while I'm doing that mindless stuff. If I'm scrubbing the bathroom, it's harder to talk on the phone, so I turn up the stereo full blast. :smile:

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
NT's are perhaps the temperament most known for their arrogance.

I think your questions are about procrastination not arrogance. And NT's are fantastic procrastinators. Or at least I am. If it's not interesting I can ignore it indefinitely.

It doesn't mean that the task is beneath me, just that it doesn't capture my attention. Getting motivated requires interest or a deadline. So I overcome the tendency by creating deadlines for myself. I often miss them though, it's a work in progress. :doh: