• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Are you "full of yourself?"

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
haha... I saw the abbreviated title "are you full of..." and was hoping it'd end with "shit*", so I could say "present!"

one or two people have said I'm full of myself, but they tend to disappear as mere drips in the ocean of my adoring fans, whose adulation I thoroughly deserve, being God's gift to the world and everything.

However, Firelie's comment has me thinking on an altogether unsavoury track... certain jokes spring to mind about brothels 'manned' by hollow dolls and customers claiming miracles happen when the dolls 'cry'... no no no no let's not go there!!

*see what I did there?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I read "Are you full of... pippi" before :D

Well, difficult question, am I full of myself ? I'd say, yes :D

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Do you find certain things to be so simple and boring that you you put off doing them for a long time?
In some cases. In others (housecleaning is a good example), I simply don't care, and don't have any particular incentive to do the boring stuff until it's unavoidable. I'm *very* oblivious to my surroundings, especially when it's someplace like home, where there's nothing new to observe.

At work, this can be the case. I'm usually pretty good about forcing myself to do the things that *must* get done, even when there are more enjoyable tasks to be worked on, but I can't say that I enjoy it, or even that it doesn't turn me into a grumbling ball of frustration.

Do you believe you are capable of doing much more than what you're current responsibilities are but do lack luster on the current "simple" responsibilities?
Probably so - but I'm not ignorant of the fact that I got into my current position with pretty much no formal knowledge. It's been a lot of "learn as you go" - which I like, but I can't seriously pretend that I could jump into something much different and excel immediately (although the idea appeals to me). I definitely lack luster on some "simple" stuff. I actively avoid taking responsibility for "daily processing" tasks, and am pretty obvious about not making an effort to get more involved in that. Probably to my detriment, but I have no desire to embrace it.

If you have them, do you believe you can overcome these tendencies? If so, how?
I'm not sure I can "overcome" them - not for and by myself, at any rate. For example, I'd be perfectly willing to keep the house a bit cleaner if I lived with someone who considered it important/necessary (note that "a bit cleaner" doesn't equal "permanently spotless" :D). Compromising with someone I care about - that I can do. But, especially at work (where I'm under no illusions that my supervisors care about what I like and don't personally), it seems unlikely. I think that the best I can do is try to do very well at the things I like, and hope that will turn into more opportunities for those things that don't drive me completely despondent-frustrated-crazy.

LucrativeSid

Yes, I'm full of myself, but that just means I'll never run out. And, yes, I avoid doing anything that I don't like doing unless other people are directly counting on me or it's really important. My girlfriend said that I have a sense of self-entitlement. I agreed with her and said that I'm entitled to live my life my own way, think however I want, do whatever I want, follow my dreams, and reject everything that doesn't matter to me. Everybody else is entitled to all of this stuff too, they just don't always make use of it. I believe that I can do anything. I'm extremely ambitious. What will I actually do? Now that's the complicated part. Most small and necessary steps demotivate me, but I know I could overcome that.

T

ThatGirl

So what are some ways you make things interesting?

The usual suggestion of turning it into a game isn't particularly effective because the only reason I like games is for the "puzzle" aspect of them, I get very little motivation from "winning." I also hate time-pressure, so trying to see how fast I can do it is actually counter-productive. Figuring out how to automate it, however, is fun, but not always practical.

There are somethings that are mundane but requires enough mental attention to do them--so I can't zone out. Dishes don't tend to be a problem, except when I am in a mode of not wanting to do anything at all.

Things like reading through your mail for bills and financial info. to see if you missed anything (I toss out all the garbage, but still there is a lot of things that look like tax-info or bills) do require some focus.

Tasks at work, that essentially involve reading a schematics and taking note of signals that need to be connected to corresponding places in another design, going through and adding up all the decoupling capacitance in a design, and other such things--not too bad in small doses, but sometimes, that is the only type of thing to do for months on end.

Sad to say but for some reason, time constraints work for me. I think if I could get this done in X amount of time, I bet I could get it done faster. To me constantly assessing my progress alows me further knowledge as to what I am capable of. If it has taken me A time to do X but I could do X in B time, that leaves a fraction of A leftover for personal interest. Then I know that despite what I do in my fraction of A time I still have B to fall back on and for some reason, that is motivation alone.

You could try various things for doing mundane tasks. Make up songs about the task then sing them to random strangers who have no idea what your talking about, works for me. Or just when you think you know all there is, look for 10 min extra in analytical dimentions as to what similarities can be compared. You can race yourself. You can try to make others do it. That always worked for me, but sometimes I have to go back and correct the work.

Go from A to G. What do you enjoy, and how could that possibly tie in, then focus on what you can enjoy.

I really dont know. I just do it.

Knitecrow

MBTI Type
INTJ
Am I full of myself? Of course I am.

Do you find certain things to be so simple and boring that you you put off doing them for a long time?

I put off a lot of things... like cleaning my home, ironing my work clothes ... etc mundane stuff

Do you believe you are capable of doing much more than what you're current responsibilities are but do lack luster on the current "simple" responsibilities?
Yes and no. I am good at my current job, happy doing it, but dream of bigger things. I want get to a point where I am able to influence lives millions of people :devil: for a greater good. I want to work for the government in strategic financial planing. A simple tax consultant for now.

I tell managers/co-workers not to give me useless/mundane work/issues as I will not do it. I do make typos in both technical reports and corporate tax forms but fortunately we have proof readers. In past jobs, I have messed up because I made a simple error in number but I blame the lack of any real system to catch errors.

No. My brain is wired for long term, broad thinking. I cannot be bother with the small things. Someone else can do them.

G

garbage

When it comes to mundane tasks in my everyday life, I usually end up zoning out and just letting muscle memory or inertia do the work for me. This works especially well with exercise, since I can either just get lost in my thoughts, read a book, or listen to an audiobook when I do it.

That, or I try to automate the process or cut out as much of the "mundane-ness" as possible. That's usually in connection with mundane work-related tasks.. and it's something that I'm very, very good at doing.

When all of this fails, I usually do have to force myself to do it.. or I just delegate it where I can :)

Yes, but that's just because I feel that certain others would fare better with the simpler responsibilities than I do.. not that I feel that those responsibilities are "beneath me." If it requires a great degree of attention to detail or simple, repetitive tasks, then I know that I wouldn't be as effective at it as others.

I don't feel that that's arrogance on my part, because I recognize that it's not my domain. By letting someone else take care of them when applicable, I might be helping them use their strengths too.

Simply put, I tend to cut corners when others won't.. for good and for bad.

In conclusion, I try to overcome these tendencies by making mundane or simple tasks less mundane or simple, by playing to my own strengths. That's my way of dealing with them. If that way doesn't work, and if I have to deal with those tendencies directly, I know that I'll have an issue with them that I just have to force myself to deal with.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Yes.
Yes.
I'm not interested in changing that.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you find certain things to be so simple and boring that you put off doing them for a long time?

Sure, I usually hope they'll do themselves or that I'll forget about them and no one will notice :D

Sure but I usually make others do them for me.

Why? Stick to strengths I say. I look at it like this, something menial needs to be done that I don't want to do, if the cost for someone else to do it is less than I value my time than why would I do it? I'd rather concentrate on conceptual problems and have others with appropriate skills look at the detail.

Example, I don't enjoy house cleaning but I can’t stand living in a messy environment so I employ cleaners, in the scheme of things it costs next to nothing and walking into a freshly cleaned house inspires me to get productive in areas I'm passionate about, some consider that lazy, maybe, I prefer to think I'm aware of what I'm good at and what I'm motivated to do along with what I'm not.

Do I think I'm full of myself for this, nope.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
^^^ Could you get my house cleaned for me too? T'would be for the greater good of mankind. Seriously. :D

* I could devote myself to making this Healthy Choice dinner thing taste much, much better than it does for instance.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
I'm not full of myself.

I have a real interest in my development, but doesn't everyone?

I've been told I need to be more egoistic, and that there are limits to modesty.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
The use of the phrase makes me think that "full of yourself" is a euphemism for "you've confronted my hypothesis with reasoning and evidence, HOW DARE YOU!"

So, yes. I'm full of myself.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From the perspective of others, I have no doubt many would believe I am full of myself.

But the contrary is closer to the truth.

Yes, I have a pretty big ego, but a healthy one. I've never had trouble backing down when realizing or being told I was out of line or wrong. So, when it comes to it, I'm not full of myself. Just the people that can't relate to me or follow me might think so.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
"To be full of one's self" almost sounds like introversion. And in a way it is self-centered.

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
NT's are perhaps the temperament most known for their arrogance.

Definitely. I'll admit to feeling too superior to do some things. Chances are I end up doing them anyway, or they are never done, which gets me in trouble.

Yes and no. I doubt my abilities, but I still manage to produce lackluster results on my current "simple" responsibilities. Double fail.

I don't know how.

Even meeting these qualifications, I don't consider myself arrogant. I have a pretty damn low opinion of myself...but I am lazy with a little protective arrogance.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
If someone asks me to do something that's a waste of my time and talent, I tell them as much.

Frank

Probably so. More of a "I will live life on my terms" kind than the "I'm better than you" sort.