• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and Careers

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Well, I took the test today and scored INTJ, but then again, I was somewhat picky about my answers. My reflections are that I deal with the outside world with my sensing function very well, and my real strengths (which I lean to and tend to develop) are in the inner world where I work with N a heck of a lot. I hate it when the phone rings, I am totally spaced out and find it hard at times to pull myself back to where these people on the phone are at.

My perspective is that an INTJ needs three basic requirement in a satisfying career:
Intellectual/analysis
Creative expression
Freedom to implement ideas

This feels basically right to me. I have all of that, but as N is not really my preferred function, it takes me quite a lot of time (and I need the right environment) to switch the N on and get to work using it. Oddly, if I relax, it comes easily.

Graphic design is creative, and should come to an N quite easily. My feeling is that N graphic designers use white space very well indeed across a wide range of media. I recently saw some work on web pages using Ems for design and balance, it was terrific and I was quite envious. All done by an INTP web designer.

West

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ever considered film school? Direction would be a perfect fit for an intj interested in the arts.

There are many aspects of film-making that an intj would find appealing. I'm currently enrolled in film school and originally wanted to get into editing but found cinematography to be very compelling.

Directing, though, takes center stage. There's nothing like seeing months of pre-production unfold and work to plan when on set. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Sadly, things may go awry on occasion such as running over-budget, rain, prima donna actors, sickness, etc. Sometimes you have to sacrifice your original vision to fit with the status quo (unless you're Stanley Kubrick and have access to a shit-ton of money and time). It takes a lot of patience, and at times I find myself just wanting it to be over.

It's a process of endless problem-solving and it's extremely challenging. But in the end, holding that final cut in your hands is a feeling that can't be matched. I haven't graduated yet, but having made about 13 short films thus far, I can highly recommend it.

MBTI Type
INxJ
What field are you in?
Science (future med student)
Possible choices: Molecular Medicine Research, Surgeon, or Medical Examiner.

Why that field?
Medicine is interesting. I don't want to deal with conscious people.

Do you enjoy it?
I liked the internships. I will most likely thrive in any of those careers.

clarabelle99

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
INTJ & careers

I'm an INTJ and work in the area of museums & art galleries- probably not a 'classic' INTJ field. But at least you are more often dealing with material culture objects than people, which makes life easier and more interesting:)

The aspects of my jobs that i have enjoyed the most involved complex problem solving, project management, organising exhibitions, undertaking research on collections, etc. All of these aspects utilise INTJ skills....the WORST aspects of these jobs have been dealing with conservative, process driven individuals and bureaucracy, which, in my experience drives INTJ's mad- it makes me baulk, dig my hee:newwink:ls in, think those in authority positions are even more ignorant and narrow minded than usual! And it kills any innovation...which is depressing for an INTJ. I've usually left these jobs due to frustration with the 'system', inefficiency, boring colleagues, lack of stimulation and opportunities within the organisation. Time to move onto something new...

Has anyone else worked in this career or known INTJs in museums and galleries? What have their experiences been?

BDCal

MBTI Type
INTJ
Pilot

I'm an INTJ pilot. This works out pretty well since much of what makes a good pilot is continually being "ahead of the aircraft", meaning thinking far enough ahead of the mission to prepare for what's coming up, anticipate possible problems, etc. My ability to see the natural flow of things, chronologically, helps tremendously in this regard.

I received my training in the military. This I would definitely NOT recommend for any NT. I don't know how I made it to 20 years. It was very, very difficult to offer what seemed to me to be obvious solutions to problems but to be continually ignored, even when the events proved me right over and over again. My ingenuity and desire for improvements were NOT appreciated; the vast majority of leaders in the military (most of whom I dealt with were SJ's) do not welcome any change to the status quo.

However, now as a civilian pilot with no responsibilities other than to fly, it is rather enjoyable and easy. Of course, I must needs get intellectual stimulation in other areas.......

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
most of the INTJ's I know are some kind of engineers

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always been into movies and wanted to make movies, but James Cameron or George Lucas style, where I would have an endless supply of expensive tools to use that will allow me to be more creative.

I was also into roller coaster designing, but alas, I'm not good at math.

Hell, I've never been good at setting realistic goals.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I'm currently a graduate student studying pharmacology. After I'm done though, I'm getting the hell out of research and entering a graphic design program. So I wouldn't say INTJ can't be interested in design.

As to competency, a large part of the job from what I've heard is getting the job done. Design is applied arts, aka commercial art. You're delivering a product. The task orientated J ought to come in handy. Does the T impair creativity? I'll say no when it's paired with strong intuition. People think creativity is related to spontaneity, when it's really not. It's about making connections.

Although the type of design you get from an INTJ would certainly be different than from a SP. You do need to consider the human factor in things though because you're always designing for and selling to people. :)

As to HR... unless you don't mind dealing with and organizing people, groups and social events on a daily basis (which most INTJs dislike)... I'll say you should stay away from it.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was also into roller coaster designing, but alas, I'm not good at math.

I wasn't good at math until I got to the calculus level. Maybe that's an INxJ tendency? Althought I didn't continue math after that, so I don't know.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't even really know what calculus is.

I am bad at algebra.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't even really know what calculus is.

I am bad at algebra.

If you can at least pass algebra you may get better in the higher level classes, even though that sounds paradoxical.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never heard that one before. I think you're making it up.

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you can at least pass algebra you may get better in the higher level classes, even though that sounds paradoxical.

That's true. I was terrible at algebra, but I did very well in trigonometry and physics.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I find electrical engineering to be interesting and presents a many opportunities for creative design and problem solving. Contrary to perception, very little math is involved once you're out of university.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
most of the INTJ's I know are some kind of engineers

That would be me also but mainly in title. Of course that is only part of my job in reality. I mainly do large scale problem solving, rapid solution development, analytical work, and S&T advising/consulting. I am looking to do corporate strategy as a later stage in my career.

In summary: my INTJ hunger is very satisfied by my job and company.