• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] to the intjs...

chado

MBTI Type
infp
to the intjs.do you ever get stuck in your tertiary fi?and have been mistaken for an infj because of this?
also does your fi ever give you such deep emotions that you are unable to describe them? as an fi dom i often get theres deep emotions listening to music?

Savage Rationalist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I cannot relate to that. I never get stuck in my Fi. I have, however, been mistaken for an INFJ before. In fact, I have been mistaken for an INTP, INFP, INFJ, ENFP, ESFP, and ISTJ before. Usually, people think I am an INTJ, ISTJ, or INTP. Why people have mistaken me for an ENFP/ESFP beats me. I act nothing like either of those.

Connoisseur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp
I do feel a lot, but people don't notice that because I don't express emotions (only sadness, to a degree).
Fi is about morals, and I get annoyed whenever I see an unnecessary violation of my moral standards. More often than I'd like, tbh. I would love to be more machiavellian, but I find myself bound by my childish moral judgements.
BTW, Fi is a dominant function of INFPs, not INFJs (MBTI).

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I would love to be more machiavellian, but I find myself bound by my childish moral judgements.

This is a red-flag. I highly recommend that you reconsider this, because it's a dangerous idea to entertain.

Connoisseur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp
This is a red-flag. I highly recommend that you reconsider this, because it's a dangerous idea to entertain.

Of course it is, that's why my morals prevent me from doing so. I just know that it would be more beneficial in a heartless, survival-of-the-fittest, zero-sum games way.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Of course it is, that's why my morals prevent me from doing so. I just know that it would be more beneficial in a heartless, survival-of-the-fittest, zero-sum games way.

The heartless, survival-of-the-fittest, zero-sum game view is implicitly solipsistic in that it essentially denies the reality of the consciousness of others, and asserts the ego as king.

Life is not a zero sum game.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have absolutely been stuck in fi mode. I don't know that anyone ever confused me for an INFJ, mainly because most people I know IRL don't know anything about MBTI. Also being stuck in fi wouldn't manifest the same as an INFJ's Fe. I often have deep, sometimes overwhelming emotions. Sometimes happiness, but also grief and sadness. I know that I've been keeping depression at bay for some time now (since shortly before my son was diagnosed with ASD). As an INTJ I use my logical nature to help find the best plan of action for him, but his autism is high functioning and there is much less support for that than there is for those further on the spectrum. People less educated on the disorder judge him quite critically because his autism is not obvious. And this hurts him and it is a very weak point in my emotions. It takes me a long time to process both his pain and mine, and be emotionally supportive for my wife at the same time. I feel I've been stuck in Fi mode for a long time now and it is not easy for me at all.

Connoisseur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp
The heartless, survival-of-the-fittest, zero-sum game view is implicitly solipsistic in that it essentially denies the reality of the consciousness of others, and asserts the ego as king.

Life is not a zero sum game.

I agree, but zero sum games exist within life as a whole.
I don't subscribe to the notion that there is no consciousness of others.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I agree, but zero sum games exist within life as a whole.
I don't subscribe to the notion that there is no consciousness of others.

Machiavellians and other dark types in general wouldn't explicitly subscribe to that notion, but they seem to act as if it were the case, in the disregard for others, and sole focus on the self.

As an anology, suppose you're playing a video game. It's fine in that context for your character to go around slaying the NPCs, because they're just computer programs with either no or negligible consciousness. In that context, it's alright to win with no remorse for those slayings, because it really is just a game. And some people act in a similar way in real life, by screwing over other people who do have feelings, and thus it is morally abhorrent.

Zero-sum games exist somewhat, but even in a competition, such as a game of sports, this is only zero-sum in some respects. The goal is for both teams and spectators to enjoy the game such that there is an overall benefit. So it is best to play in good spirits, and not get too ruthless in such a context.

Altruism is preferable to selfishness. From the perspective of other people, that is obvious, but if you consider divine justice, then it is even preferable for the self as well.

--

Tying this back to the OP: Fi is linked with empathy, so it might seem that Te is remorseless and can operate in a heartless, zero-sum way. But really, there are noble ways to use Te, or any other function, and evil ways to use them. Fi is more humanistic than Te, but neither is inherently more moral in a global context, though Fi does think more in terms of right and wrong.

It is good for any type to have a healthy amount of any function, though yes it is possible for INTJ to overdo the Fi, and become too Feeling oriented, at the expense of Thinking. In such a case, the INTJ may indeed mistype as INFJ, if the basis is on dichotomies rather than functions, though various other mistypes could occur as well. Going by functions, they may even mistype as an ISFP. The N>T>F>S order of preferences should be adhered to in general for an INTJ, because that leads to the best functioning overall.

Connoisseur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thank you, that was a well-thought-out response.
Most of the time I'm trying to act in a way that is building a better future for everybody, even if I end up contributing more than I'd get out of it. I just get pissed whenever other people don't believe in positive-sum cooperation, and just consider me to be a sucker. I then try to silence my Fi by thinking about things that are the opposite of morality. Such encounters make me question the benefits of Fi.
Interestingly enough, describing it now makes me more aware of the thought traps that I can potentially fall into.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Thank you, that was a well-thought-out response.
Most of the time I'm trying to act in a way that is building a better future for everybody, even if I end up contributing more than I'd get out of it. I just get pissed whenever other people don't believe in positive-sum cooperation, and just consider me to be a sucker. I then try to silence my Fi by thinking about things that are the opposite of morality. Such encounters make me question the benefits of Fi.
Interestingly enough, describing it now makes me more aware of the thought traps that I can potentially fall into.

Yeah, people can be selfish and try to push that belief onto others. For a while I was considering just being selfish, like maybe the whole co-operation thing was ill-founded. Now I'm more secure in my position, and I doubt others can persuade me otherwise.

nerdy anthropoid

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I do experience intense emotions that can be overwhelming at times but I've never been mistaken for a feeling type before. As a matter of fact, I've been told on more than one occasion that I'm a strong thinking type. Maybe it's because my intense emotions are largely kept private (Fi in tertiary) and people usually see the rational and analytical side of me (Te in auxiliary). And INFJs, with their auxiliary Fe, are more socially adept than I am. INTJs, instead of having the socially-adept Fe, has a Te that manifests itself as a forthright manner.