• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs (or anyone who wants to answer, it will be an advice party, wee champagne!)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
So how do you deal with someone you live with attempting suicide? I mean how do you deal with the fallout, and the mess they leave? (I don't mean physical, but emotional. The only thing I've been doing is taken care of myself, made plans to go out with people tommorow night and an appointment with a counselor. I don't know if this is enough, but I really don't know what to do.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It's hard to say.. I've been around someone that was suicidal, but never did I live with that person. I would presume careful and constant attention is in order.

I'm sorry I'm of no help, but I do hope that you get through this alright. It's always hard to see people hit rock bottom, knowing you can only help so much.

S

Sniffles

I had to deal with the tragedy of having one of my long-time friends commit suicide. And for a long time I was racked with guilt that perhaps I should've done more to help prevent it. These thoughts still pop up in the back of my head, and I doubt they'll ever fully go away.

However, I will tell you this. If a person is determined to kill themselves, there's very little you can do to stop it really. Certainly don't be indifferent to the situation, but realise there's only so much you can do. In the end, it's their decision - not your's.

Certainly spending time with those you care about is a really good idea. Seeing a counselor isn't a bad idea either.

Anyways...hope this helps. I'll try adding more later when my mind is in a better mood.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In California that is called a "5150". And the cops do it for you if you call them. Don't know what it's called where you are.

Not saying you want to do that though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
she's in a hospital right now, which is good. But she'll get out, and come home.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So how do you deal with someone you live with attempting suicide? I mean how do you deal with the fallout, and the mess they leave? (I don't mean physical, but emotional. The only thing I've been doing is taken care of myself, made plans to go out with people tommorow night and an appointment with a counselor. I don't know if this is enough, but I really don't know what to do.

A) Weird thread title.

B) Especially weird when I read the first sentence in the OP.

C) I think you should start by securing your bases and making sure they have a strong net to fall back on: family, medications, doctors, psychologists, crisis counselors. Then, just be human. See if they want to talk about it, offer a listening ear without being too pushy, and just do your best to help them readjust smoothly. You could take the opportunity to read about warning signs and keep an eye out for them for the next couple months.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
A) Weird thread title.

B) Especially weird when I read the first sentence in the OP.

C) I think you should start by securing your bases and making sure they have a strong net to fall back on: family, medications, doctors, psychologists, crisis counselors. Then, just be human. See if they want to talk about it, offer a listening ear without being too pushy, and just do your best to help them readjust smoothly. You could take the opportunity to read about warning signs and keep an eye out for them for the next couple months.

This sounds good to me.

A suicidal person who's going to reattempt usually tries within the first three months after the initial attempt. I know you recognize this is a very critical period. Try to keep things as low stress of this person as possible. Here are some links I found

How to Help a Suicidal Person: Take Them Seriously
How to Help a Suicidal Person
Helping the Suicidal Person

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Couple of good points mentioned here.

It sounds like you're doing everything neccesary and with more information from others you'll have an increasingly good idea what you need to do.

It doesn't hurt to ask the person themselves what they want you to do.

Taking care of yourself as a foremost goal seems advisable.

And to echo Peguy, you can neither save the person or cause their death. A good mantra to repeat frequently. Some sense of guilt is nearly inevitable.

Sending thoughts of strength and wellness your way.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Well what was the reason for her to want to commit suicide in the first place?

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
It's rough that you live with the person.

I agree with this:

I think you should start by securing your bases and making sure they have a strong net to fall back on: family, medications, doctors, psychologists, crisis counselors. Then, just be human.

Like Peguy said:

If a person is determined to kill themselves, there's very little you can do to stop it really.

Sounds like you are on the right track.