• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Composing Music/Functions

infinfj65

MBTI Type
INFJ
As an INFJ who writes/composes music often Im curious to know your opinions of what functions play a role in the creation of music.
Alot of the music I make is related to uniting or inspiring humanity, the wonders/landscapes of the world, Deep feeling, life, true love, etc . Topics of depth usually. The music can span across different moods/emotions ranging from emotional/poignant (moving to me, sad to other people), to uplifting and meaningful. This comes out as Alternative/Indie Rock, Orchestral, Electronic and other (any really) genres. I enjoy combining synth/dreamy sounds, larger than life drums, and real instruments to create imaginative, captivating and powerful musical worlds that evoke feelings and visual imagery in the listiners mind. If I use words, the lyrics are deep and thought provoking.
My brain just likes music like this-- that is world uniting, hopeful, and strong. Im able to form a large amount of ideas in my mind from the keyboard and start creating. Every chord and Melody connects and is made to make an overall profound product. I can feel/know when it's just right and the alignment of things gel in the song. I mull over pieces and parts of the song and relisten and edit till everything clicks and has the desired and perfect result. (It's hard to explain it all.)
I'm also wondering what goes on in my ability to watch a video and write music to perfectly match whats going on in the scene--the same applies to an idea and writing music to accompany a story idea. Basically detecting the emotion in lyrics or video and constructing the musical world it lives in.
On a side note, I'm very versatile and I can write many different genres of music ranging from emotional ballad to thumping hip-hop. I usually try to include something inspiring (or something with meaning) in the chords and/or lyrics. Composing is fun for me because there's endless ideas and so many ways to make something new, incredible and emotionally effective.
What's going on function wise? Does any of you guys feel and experience the same thing?
#Themusicalmadnessismarvelous

DarkPassenger123

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Im INFP, The music I compose is strictly related to what I am feeling at the moment.
I see music as a way of pulling my emotions out from my body.
They are trapped inside of me, someone tied a rope around them and only music can bring them out.
The rope is not really there but music is and she has come to set me free.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
You are essentially pulling external energy (in form of feeling) from a series of connected data points (Ni) that are continuously filtered (Ti) to expose the end product (Se).

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
You need basically every funtion.
Ni for your artistic goal.
Ne for thinking outside the box
Ti for complex structures
Te for estructures that people actually can understand
Fe to create emotions that actually people can understand
Fi to create something unique to you
Se/Si to play an instrument

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
You need basically every funtion.
Ni for your artistic goal.
Ne for thinking outside the box
Ti for complex structures
Te for estructures that people actually can understand
Fe to create emotions that actually people can understand
Fi to create something unique to you
Se/Si to play an instrument

I'm in semi-agreement. N for ideas, T for structure, F for emotion, S for physicality, and inclusion of the unconscious mind to create music which is inspiring/significant.

Though I don't agree that Fe is "emotion people can understand". I don't think Fi or Fe are harder to understand when translated through music. Fi and Fe are just different emotional styles. Fi gets you reflecting, Fe gets you moving. Resonation/Passion.

Same thing with the Thinking functions. Te isn't better understood than Ti for others (well, not taking into consideration what the person's conscious functions are), but Ti gets you thinking, Te gives you confidence.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I'm in semi-agreement. N for ideas, T for structure, F for emotion, S for physicality, and inclusion of the unconscious mind to create music which is inspiring/significant.

Though I don't agree that Fe is "emotion people can understand". I don't think Fi or Fe are harder to understand when translated through music. Fi and Fe are just different emotional styles. Fi gets you reflecting, Fe gets you moving. Resonation/Passion.

Same thing with the Thinking functions. Te isn't better understood than Ti for others (well, not taking into consideration what the person's conscious functions are), but Ti gets you thinking, Te gives you confidence.

I'm an intp emotions isn't my forte , i'm just saying the way i can understand them .
Te/ Ti i can say alot 'cause i can show it to you.
Te is alot more undertable than Ti Structures .... You can be the most Intelligent human being in the planet and still need time to Understand a SUBJECTIVE structure .

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'm an intp emotions isn't my forte , i'm just saying the way i can understand them .
Te/ Ti i can say alot 'cause i can show it to you.
Te is alot more undertable than Ti Structures .... You can be the most Intelligent human being in the planet and still need time to Understand a SUBJECTIVE structure .

Maths is largely about subjective structures, and an INTP can probably understand mathematical logic more easily than Te logic.

There's probably something to what you're saying but it's not adding up to me.

edit: for example, I have conscious Ti, and I'm a maths major. The theoretical side of the logic is easy enough for me, but I can't wrap my head around using computer programs to solve problems which is more Te.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Maths is largely about subjective structures, and an INTP can probably understand mathematical logic more easily than Te logic.

There's probably something to what you're saying but it's not adding up to me.

edit: for example, I have conscious Ti, and I'm a maths major. The theoretical side of the logic is easy enough for me, but I can't wrap my head around using computer programs to solve problems which is more Te.

For sure man , music is something really complex ... you can have some insane harmonic logic in a bach fugue but oh man ... even bach broke classical rules for "sound" ( i mean sound as a mix of logical , emotional , structures and physical meanings ) .
i studied musical composition and i can say that art is beyond me . every work of art is quite unique ( harmonic , counterpoint , ect ).

Breaking rules is something unique to art .... probabily in any rule breaking way of thinking you can find a "Ti" way of thinking .. The mbti isn't perfect you can find in almost any type this " Ti" Way of thinking.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
For sure man , music is something really complex ... you can have some insane harmonic logic in a bach fugue but oh man ... even bach broke classical rules for "sound" ( i mean sound as a mix of logical , emotional , structures and physical meanings ) .
i studied musical composition and i can say that art is beyond me . every work of art is quite unique ( harmonic , counterpoint , ect ).

Breaking rules is something unique to art .... probabily in any rule breaking way of thinking you can find a "Ti" way of thinking .. The mbti isn't perfect you can find in almost any type this " Ti" Way of thinking.

Well, every type has Ti in some form, even if it's unconscious. I actually believe that people aren't a "pure" type and we actually have elements of possibly all 16, so that would mean any person can actually use conscious Ti or any other function. But on the other hand there still does seem to generally be a single type for each person which can explain a lot of a person, so I tend to stick to the pure type approximation model.

Though I don't know what the connection between rule breaking and Ti is? Ti is detached from social processes when used on its own, so it might be tied to breaking social rules. Conventions I would link to Si, so Ne/Ni would go against them and find a new, more creative approach.

(not saying that Si is about "rules" per se, but that it gives rise to regularised standards of doing things which are shown to be reliable, and so Si in a person will stick to the known ways of doing a thing, out of habit/familiarity or whatever else)

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
man is really simple ... just analize some bach fugue and you can learn a subjective form that try to follow some harmonic rules but really almost every fugue is something abstract creating logical walls.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been composing music for slightly more than half a decade. I use very little Ni while doing it, thanks to the fact that I have limited ability to transcribe the music I hear in my head (which is orders of magnitude better than the stuff I actually produce). For me, the process is largely driven by a mix of Fe (considering the mood it conveys and how the music will impact people emotionally) and both kinds of Thinking (following the rules of counterpoint, and taking a scientific approach to figuring out what works and what doesn't).

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I've been composing music for slightly more than half a decade. I use very little Ni while doing it, thanks to the fact that I have limited ability to transcribe the music I hear in my head (which is orders of magnitude better than the stuff I actually produce). For me, the process is largely driven by a mix of Fe (considering the mood it conveys and how the music will impact people emotionally) and both kinds of Thinking (following the rules of counterpoint, and taking a scientific approach to figuring out what works and what doesn't).

Ni can help to create a long wok as a sonata , you can create a concept that you want to express similar to a book or something (in popular music you can find that in the wall of pink floyd for example).
Of course a big piece need structure , development of ideas , i mean you need a macro plan to start..
Imaging sounds is really hard ... ear training was the most difficult thing for me ( i'm intp ) , i never needed to study alot of theory to understand it but ear training was hard as hell , probabily harder than actually learn the piano.
Funny enough you start trusting ur ear alot more... learning ear training is night and day , you can compose alot faster.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Non_xsense said:
Ni can help to create a long wok as a sonata , you can create a concept that you want to express similar to a book or something (in popular music you can find that in the wall of pink floyd for example).
Of course a big piece need structure , development of ideas , i mean you need a macro plan to start..
Imaging sounds is really hard ... ear training was the most difficult thing for me ( i'm intp ) , i never needed to study alot of theory to understand it but ear training was hard as hell , probabily harder than actually learn the piano.
Funny enough you start trusting ur ear alot more... learning ear training is night and day , you can compose alot faster.
Yes, I'm sure some ear training would be tremendously helpful to me. I have no trouble hearing music in my head, but I do have difficulties translating my mental music into sheet music. Right now, my process is largely trial and error, and the results tend to suffer quite a bit because of it. The amount of training I would need to undergo to change that, though, is overwhelming. The music I can hear in my head is quite complex, full of rich harmonies and rapidly shifting melodies.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Yes, I'm sure some ear training would be tremendously helpful to me. I have no trouble hearing music in my head, but I do have difficulties translating my mental music into sheet music. Right now, my process is largely trial and error, and the results tend to suffer quite a bit because of it. The amount of training I would need to undergo to change that, though, is overwhelming. The music I can hear in my head is quite complex, full of rich harmonies and rapidly shifting melodies.

For sure , Nt/Nf types can have alot of problems 'cause our inferior se/si , it's a long plan but you eventually get better .
There is not another way than listening to harmonies , intervals , singing , dictations , ect .

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
man is really simple ... just analize some bach fugue and you can learn a subjective form that try to follow some harmonic rules but really almost every fugue is something abstract creating logical walls.

Edit....Man, this is really simple....Just analyze some basic function and you can learn a subjective form that tries to follow some harmonic rules. Yet almost every function is something abstract, which creates logical walls. English not your native language?

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Edit....Man, this is really simple....Just analyze some basic function and you can learn a subjective form that tries to follow some harmonic rules. Yet almost every function is something abstract, which creates logical walls. English not your native language?

Which is kinda funny my orchestration teacher was an american , He could easily speak my language but trying to explain music was very hard for him .
I was probabily drunk when i wrote that .

Anyway ...Neuroscience of music - Wikipedia
For me is easier trying to explain music using the classical and jazz school rather than a scientific ( Or a sicological as mbti ) point of view which you really can't make music ( Specially if you don't have any ear training to distinguish harmonies and pitches) .

I think we can try to link some cognitive funtions to each field of music but really that just make you think that you need every funtion and even with that you need "something more".

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have always loved music and writing songs. I'll admit, some of the songs I've written in the past were pretty silly but I've done a few vent songs as well. One of the songs I wrote was about being addicted to coffee and caffeine and the affect it has on your body so yeah... A ton of stuff like that. I mostly like rock music but also some country. It's one of the ways that I express myself.

Well, I don't write songs as much as I used to but singing and playing is still a way that I do so. When I play existing songs on the guitar, I like to take my own spin on my renditions. I don't like singing in front of others though. I play guitar and love teaching myself songs. Honestly, while I know chords, I don't formally know how to read music but I've

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I have always loved music and writing songs. I'll admit, some of the songs I've written in the past were pretty silly but I've done a few vent songs as well. One of the songs I wrote was about being addicted to coffee and caffeine and the affect it has on your body so yeah... A ton of stuff like that. I mostly like rock music but also some country. It's one of the ways that I express myself.

Well, I don't write songs as much as I used to but singing and playing is still a way that I do so. When I play existing songs on the guitar, I like to take my own spin on my renditions. I don't like singing in front of others though. I play guitar and love teaching myself songs. Honestly, while I know chords, I don't formally know how to read music but I've

This is a very Nf way of thinking ... Actually is pretty funny/innocent/cute when you don't use ur Ti to make arguments .
my first composition class my teachear told me : You aren't gonna find the " magic of music" anymore , you are gonna to understand it .

Which is pretty funny ... Reading music is meh , you are gonna learn that in the first month ( any music school ) , actually the hardest part is make ur art ( and meaning) unique which you probabily are gonna take 10 lifes and still hate urself ( do you imagine that chopin wanted to burn all his work expect his op.10 etudes ?) xdddd.