• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Do you reveal your INFJ type to others? Why or why not?

infinfj65

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've personally only ever told one person about being an INFJ. Do you guys ever expose your type and the characteristics of your type? (Whether the person knows MBTI or not.) I felt comfortable/trusted the person I told but I felt telling other people would put me at risk of having my INFJ gifts/features used against me or of having people be weirded out by me knowing things about them they've never told me. I figure people would either think it's cool that I'm so unique or be slightly envious of my rareness and abilities. (Secretly of course) It is after all the reason behind why I want to change/save the world, my interest in profound depth, my intuitiveness/people reading, my highly creative and artistic mind, my love for humanity/philosophy, and my empathetic viewpoint on things. I just prefer it to be kept to myself. That's the best part about being anonymous and having a community such as this where I can be accepted and cherished. (Maybe I'm just to private in general. Another INFJ trait.)

How about you guys? Which people in your life (if any) know about your type? How comfortable are you with having other people know?

RoRoRabbit

I did to 2 people. One was a friend who was struggling with addiction and I told him about the MBTI personality test and encouraged him to take it. He took the test and figured out his type, an INFP, and it was kind of cool to see how similar/different we were. That's probably why we had a pretty authentic connection.

I did recently to my SO who is an ISTP. Some things have happened recently which have/are driving a wedge between us and I thought I would move out of my comfort zone and try to let him "inside" more, let him read things from an unbiased source to give a little insight to who I am. I also typed him to try to get a place to start on our communication issues and whatnot. Some of his reactions to my "insight" to myself have been annoying for lack of a better term. He told me it was "annoying" to read an article I printed out about INFJs and then he didn't like how I copied and pasted some things in a series text messages to him that were relevant to how I was feeling at the time. I would more or less say it blew up in my face.. one of the reactions I got was "you think you're so special" or "you think you're the only one who does/feels" which was not what I was looking for... at.. all.. I just wanted him to put a little effort into understanding me and being more sensitive/delicate with my feelings and think about the future consequences of his actions should he repeat them. I guess part of me regrets letting him in, in that way, since it would appear that he doesn't really care to know these things about me or buy into the psychology of it. but I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something different, so that's a win in my book. Even if it ended how I thought it would. lol

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
You pick up on someone's type the moment you see them, and to a greater degree after interacting with them. So they already knew you were INFJ even if they didn't know that INFJ was a thing. They also actually knew you better than what would be revealed by your type because we're not a pure type, but on the other hand, knowing a person's type allows them to be compared to a group and a framework which can make certain inferences proceed more efficiently.

--

To actually answer the question: yeah I tell people, but actually people who know a little bit about type think I'm a thinker, which is rather strange. Not sure how to convince someone otherwise of that, I thought my Fe was clear. o_O

Dante H.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I did to 2 people. One was a friend who was struggling with addiction and I told him about the MBTI personality test and encouraged him to take it. He took the test and figured out his type, an INFP, and it was kind of cool to see how similar/different we were. That's probably why we had a pretty authentic connection.

I did recently to my SO who is an ISTP. Some things have happened recently which have/are driving a wedge between us and I thought I would move out of my comfort zone and try to let him "inside" more, let him read things from an unbiased source to give a little insight to who I am. I also typed him to try to get a place to start on our communication issues and whatnot. Some of his reactions to my "insight" to myself have been annoying for lack of a better term. He told me it was "annoying" to read an article I printed out about INFJs and then he didn't like how I copied and pasted some things in a series text messages to him that were relevant to how I was feeling at the time. I would more or less say it blew up in my face.. one of the reactions I got was "you think you're so special" or "you think you're the only one who does/feels" which was not what I was looking for... at.. all.. I just wanted him to put a little effort into understanding me and being more sensitive/delicate with my feelings and think about the future consequences of his actions should he repeat them. I guess part of me regrets letting him in, in that way, since it would appear that he doesn't really care to know these things about me or buy into the psychology of it. but I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something different, so that's a win in my book. Even if it ended how I thought it would. lol

As much as it hurts when people don't want to understand you, I think it's important to realise that he's probably resistant to it because he may feel like you don't care to understand him and only want the focus to be on yourself. It might be more helpful to him if you would post snippets of what his personality type is like (both good and more negative) in comparison to what you are. That is, if he's even open to the idea of MBTI at all. I understand ISTP people can be almost impossible to figure out (for me, anyway.)

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dear INFJs nobody cares.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can see why INFJs would hesitate to reveal type because of all the negative assumptions and judgments. It's really over the top. I don't know why people act that way about INFJs. It's just another type.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don’t tell anyone about MBTI in real life. It’s too awkward. Too much information to cover. The people who brought it to me first are just riddled with stereotypic assumptions and lack of knowledge for Jungian theory. Rather than seem inflated about it, I just drop the subject and I never seen someone care so much about the subject irl that much anyway.

Plus people wouldn’t see the way I see INFJ’s anyway, so it’s like eh? What’s the point.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I've personally only ever told one person about being an INFJ. Do you guys ever expose your type and the characteristics of your type? (Whether the person knows MBTI or not.) I felt comfortable/trusted the person I told but I felt telling other people would put me at risk of having my INFJ gifts/features used against me or of having people be weirded out by me knowing things about them they've never told me. I figure people would either think it's cool that I'm so unique or be slightly envious of my rareness and abilities. (Secretly of course) It is after all the reason behind why I want to change/save the world, my interest in profound depth, my intuitiveness/people reading, my highly creative and artistic mind, my love for humanity/philosophy, and my empathetic viewpoint on things. I just prefer it to be kept to myself. That's the best part about being anonymous and having a community such as this where I can be accepted and cherished. (Maybe I'm just to private in general. Another INFJ trait.)

How about you guys? Which people in your life (if any) know about your type? How comfortable are you with having other people know?
I personally never understood why anyone would hype up the INFJ type, even when I thought I was one (I didn't want to be, it was more of an acceptance of what people swore I was until they actually talked to me more, then some felt stupid for ever typing me as one after that...which still happens, they think I'm INFJ til then because of Ti/Fe axis and vibes). I watched a video in which a practitioner stated "for some reason everybody wants to be an INFJ"--I guess according to his experiences with administering assessments to people. It was never something I was in any way proud of or wanted, and other people brought up it being the rarest type more than I cared to hear about it. I tried to understand why he would say "everyone wants to be an INFJ" for a while, but I still don't get it. Don't misunderstand, it's not that there's anything wrong with the type or that I dislike it...I just don't get why it's hyped or esteemed whatsoever. They're no better or different than anyone else. In my mind--as far as "coolness" or something goes, there is absolutely 0 distinction between them and an ESTJ, ENFP, INTJ, etc.

"(Maybe I'm just to private in general. Another INFJ trait.)"
Do you honestly think that's INFJ exclusive or that every INFJ is for that matter? I fail to see how that's points for INFJ besides in a Forer Effect. It's also Introversion, 5s (which is a very INT Enneagram type), and more things. I have an ENTJ 8 father who is also intensely private, more than I am as an INTP 9, lol.

"risk of having my INFJ gifts/features used against me or of having people be weirded out by me knowing things about them they've never told me"
Meme.

"I figure people would either think it's cool that I'm so unique or be slightly envious of my rareness and abilities."
Meme.

"It is after all the reason behind why I want to change/save the world,"
Meme, do you really think no other type can have an interest in making the world a better place? Come on.

"highly creative and artistic mind, love for humanity/philosophy, and my empathetic viewpoint on things."
Yeah, none of the other 15 types can have this, either.

Tumblr / Facebook / Twitter / 16 Personalities or something lied to you about what an INFJ is.

No offense intended, not trying to be rude, and it's not a personal attack. Just saying it like it is.
It's more important to speak the truth than to be polite imo, and I don't always have the energy to lather my words with tact prior to dispensing.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Everyone can know; after all it's in my autobiography!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This isn't specifically related to INFJs but several years ago I made the mistake of sending a lengthy email to a human resources official suggesting implementing MBTI testing at my workplace in order to contribute to a more fluid and accommodating workplace. I put a lot of thought and time into typing this email and explained how I thought it could help employees and management better communicate and work together. Crickets was the response.

Some people I've tried to talk to in the past have tended to be very dismissive of typology and equate it to astrology OR argue that it's vague enough that anyone could read any type description and identify with it. I understand people's skepticism, but usually I've gotten that sort of reaction from people who were obviously unfamiliar with Jungian based typology systems.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you guys actually meet with people outside of the forum who care or even know MBTI? LOL, what universe do you live in? I've tried to talk about MBTI to mom and boyfriend, and they all told me stop after first few sentences, never tried it with anyone else afterwards lol.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, because I am not an INFJ. I told the only person I know who knows a bit about MBTI that I was ISFJ and she laughed at me though.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you guys actually meet with people outside of the forum who care or even know MBTI? LOL, what universe do you live in? I've tried to talk about MBTI to mom and boyfriend, and they all told me stop after first few sentences, never tried it with anyone else afterwards lol.

I infect my friends. I have a circle of infected friends to run my playground of tests and observations on and to attack with a barrage of random-ass questions that only make sense in a typology context.

In all seriousness, I do have a few friends who were independently interested in MBTI, but I haven't found anyone irl as into typology as I am.

EDIT: Oh right. Also, do you know the 'Barnum Effect'? Sites like 16personalities have descriptions general enough to apply to a broad swath of people.

If you 'sell' typology right, people are more likely to be independently interested in them.
For example, just to mess with them, I will type them (internally, in my head, based off what I know of them and typology) and literally list traits off the 16personalities site to them. "Gasp! How did you know?!" "Oh hey, there is this really awesome theory that helped me in being able to read people..."

It sounds like a seedy sales trick now that I think about it.

To add to this thread, FWIW, I have various INFJ traits, and when I typed as INFJ, I did not reveal it because:

- People who knew MBTI always (always) typed me INTJ.
- INFJ had a strong image/profile associated with it and while I do fit some of the stereotypes, people easily run off it alone. I have no idea if they actually realize it's as ridiculous as expecting a Scorpio to be sexually promiscuous or for a Leo to be a leader, just because their star sign said so.
- When I discovered INFJ was the 'rarest type' (especially for men), I was so icked out because that's basically stamping a 'special snowflake' sign on yourself to others, so I kept what I typed as to myself for the most part.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I introduced my father to it, he knows he's an ENTJ. I sent him Enneagram resources and told him he's an 8, then told him to tell me what type he thinks I am when he'd done reading. Should be interesting since he's known me all my life from an outside perspective and he was my closest friend for years and is clueless as to what I type as. My ex knew about MBTI and typed me as an INTJ.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are entire work places obsessed with it (which is actually kinda disturbing). I don't type as INFJ, but here and there I've encountered people into MBTI, but often people aren't into it. I was once in a church where the pastor made everyone take the test and then berated people for being certain types. There are many bizarre universes going on because many people are insane. Every place is different, so you can't use yours as the universal reference point.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I’m sure as heck not revealing my INFJ type to u all

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
If I was an INFJ I would reveal it because I would see no reason to hide it, since I don't want my decisions to revolve around other peoples' opinions, criticisms, or approval. I am what I am regardless of what label you put on me, and that's for MBTI, criticisms, false accusations, any of it. What's hiding it going to do? Change you? No. Change their stereotypes, etc.? No, if anything just ignoring that and being different than they thought you'd be will. There will always be people around talking shit. Don't let them steer your life.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...what could possibly be "vulnerable" about sharing characteristics of certain type to other ppl? Most of the time they don't care, but that doesn't mean I don't bring it up. I care about it and that's what matters. I don't overwhelm them in typology terms, but I'll keep to the basics and try to type them based on my knowledge, most of which I am correct. Its obviously more fun to talk to ppl who are actually into typology than ppl who don't give a shit. Still, they're more open to the idea if you start a friendly conversation first before talking like an alien about outter space.

I can type ppl without interrogating them and cornering them into a test and such. I just ask them general questions and try to get to know them better based on their responds, in which both parties have fun. Ofc they prove me wrong at times but that's part of the fun.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
...what could possibly be "vulnerable" about sharing characteristics of certain type to other ppl? Most of the time they don't care, but that doesn't mean I don't bring it up.
I think OP was referring to the labels, stereotypes, etc.
Unfortunately also was referring to the possibility of others seeing her as "threatening" because of how insightful being INFJ makes her, but....that's not really a thing anywhere besides Tumblr rumors.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think OP was referring to the labels, stereotypes, etc.
Unfortunately also was referring to the possibility of others seeing her as "threatening" because of how insightful being INFJ makes her, but....that's not really a thing anywhere besides Tumblr rumors.

Weird asf.