• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Detecting emotions/facial expressions

infinfj65

MBTI Type
INFJ
How good are you detecting emotions in facial expressions. Can you tell when a person is slighlty sad or mad through a small change in their facial expression/microexpressions? Ni and Fe can be very good at detecting these kinds of things.

How has this taken place in your real life?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am definitely good at detecting something "off" or unusual, but I am not always able to quickly put my finger on what I am picking up. These weird little radar blips stay with me until I can understand them. They are almost like little pebbles in my brain's shoe, that sort of stick around and occasionally annoy me.

No joke, some days something clicks in my head and then I suddenly understand an odd facial expression my grandmother made at me 2 years ago.

I mean, the realization is probably a bit too late to be of any use to me at that point, but it does get that pebble out of my shoe.

Metis

I am definitely good at detecting something "off" or unusual, but I am not always able to quickly put my finger on what I am picking up. These weird little radar blips stay with me until I can understand them. They are almost like little pebbles in my brain's shoe, that sort of stick around and occasionally annoy me.

No joke, some days something clicks in my head and then I suddenly understand an odd facial expression my grandmother made at me 2 years ago.

I mean, the realization is probably a bit too late to be of any use to me at that point, but it does get that pebble out of my shoe.

That's a good way to describe it. I've had that too.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Yes. the slightest facial change was sometimes the only warning I was going to get that things were about to go sideways and I should be elsewhere. Its like the feeling of air in the dog days of summer when you feel the thunder a moment before you hear it. It is the smell of rain while the sun still shines. A visual impact tremor:

infinfj65

MBTI Type
INFJ
I can resonate with what you say. It ends up clicking later on, sometimes when it's too late. But at least the odd sense was triggered and you know that somethings up. At least you can be prepared or at least know that there's a reason behind the look. Theres a ton of possibilities but only one real reason. Fun and terrible at the same time lol.

infinfj65

MBTI Type
INFJ

I can resonate with what you say. It ends up clicking later on, sometimes when it's too late. But at least there was an odd sense was triggered and you know that somethings up. At least you can be prepared or at least know that there's a reason behind the look. Theres a ton of possibilities but only one real reason. Fun and terrible at the same time lol.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I can resonate with what you say. It ends up clicking later on, sometimes when it's too late. But at least there was an odd sense was triggered and you know that somethings up. At least you can be prepared or at least know that there's a reason behind the look. Theres a ton of possibilities but only one real reason. Fun and terrible at the same time lol.

Yes to "the odd sense" getting "triggered". I sort of privately note the impression and then put myself on a heightened alert for any other unusual signs.

AStrange~Nostalgia

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes I can say I`m able to detect the smallest changes in moods and reading minimum facial expressions most of the times. and also read their minds through many variables of behavior, but for some, like a certain INFP I know, I can`t really understand the feeling underlying the facial expression. it`s in reverse most of the time.

I`m used to notice when someone would start feeling irritated by what I`m saying, and change the subject swiftly, smoothly and before they even notice.

since I`m ENFJ it`s crucial in my life. I don`t want to hurt someone by accident. there are some sensitive limits for people I might not be aware of, and this helps avoiding the damage. second thing is, I want to help them when they are hurt but not showing it, when no one else is noticing or comforting them. usually the small details might be forgotten, however, these might mean great deal for someone . and it would be appreciated when you show concern, and hopefully, he/she would feel somehow relieved.

also I can easily read whether this person likes me or not, and what is their thought about me (usually 70% I`m right). I can see their insecurities and if it`s hitting them at the moment, their facial expressions would change into past/guilt/regret mode and somehow helpless expression means: you can give your shot on what type of advice I should follow, or just I`m helpless and I want to let it show but don`t try giving any type of advice. very minimal difference, but readable with practice.

my cognitive functions are : Fe, Ni, Se, Ti

rav3n

These are called microexpressions and apparently, I'm decent at seeing them. That said, I can't always tell what they mean, only that there's conflict which triggers my wary, observation mode.

Microexpression - Wikipedia