• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF General Discussion Thread

V

violaine

Many people can be massively swayed through TV and fiction to let go of that which previously was considered taboo, it takes time though.
Many people will also listen to what anyone considered to be an expert says. That which is unreasonable can be accepted by many people if one is able to sandwich it convincingly in between two layers of reasonbility. They grasp the truth and cannot let go of the chafe in between.

^Eh, not that far though. I rarely speak in absolutes but this would never gain a foothold. The protective instinct most people have with regard to children would not be so easily eroded.

heart

heart on fire
Public education in the USA at least was set up mostly to train workers for factory work and to be ritualized in behavior, busy work, etc. It does not really focus on critical thought. It trains people in dialectical thinking.

heart

heart on fire
^Eh, not that far though. I rarely speak in absolutes but this would never gain a foothold. The protective instinct most people have with regard to children would not be so easily eroded.

We'll see, that much is for certain. In the past, people would throw their children into fires for favor from the "gods." People sold their children into slavery and later sent them into workhouses. Did the human race suddenly develop stronger child protection genes?

Even now people are trying to turn progress back in the name of "teen rights" the right for adults to be sexual with teens.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Public education in the USA at least was set up mostly to train workers for factory work and to be ritualized in behavior, busy work, etc. It does not really focus on critical thought. It trains people in dialectical thinking.

Oh. In here it is very different then. I would expect that at least everyone who went to high school has some critical thinking...

V

violaine

We'll see, that much is for certain. In the past, people would throw their children into fires for favor from the "gods." People sold their children into slavery and later sent them into workhouses. Did the human race suddenly develop stronger child protection genes?

Even now people are trying to turn progress back in the name of "teen rights" the right for adults to be sexual with teens.

Of course, because they labored under superstitions that we do not. Honestly, it's such a hot-button issue that so many people are aware of and incensed about, unless society really regresses the general pop is not going to be swayed like that. Teen rights is another matter as those teens are advocating for themselves. In that area it conceivably could become murky.

heart

heart on fire
Of course, because they labored under superstitions that we do not. Honestly, it's such a hot-button issue that so many people are aware of and incensed about, unless society really regresses the general pop is not going to be swayed like that. Teen rights is another matter as those teens are advocating for themselves. In that area it conceivably could become murky.

I am not convinced that the area of teen rights is totally promoted only by teens. Corporations, politicians, any one who would like to able to exploit teens, they all have an interest in erroding legal protections on minors and teens.

If you believe that people have left behind magical thinking and supersition, you can't have taken a very close look around you. Many people get so outraged about child abuse because the media tells them to. Society can regress at any time. We're still the same human race. People are still capable of taking on a might makes right mentality.

V

violaine

I am not convinced that the area of teen rights is totally promoted only by teens. Corporations, politicians, any one who would like to able to exploit teens, they all have an interest in erroding legal protections on minors and teens.

If you believe that people have left behind magical thinking and supersition, you can't have taken a very close look around you. Many people get so outraged about child abuse because the media tells them to. Society can regress at any time. We're still the same human race. People are still capable of taking on a might makes right mentality.

We might have to agree to disagree here. They sacrificed their children because of their beliefs, I didn't say magical thinking doesn't exist today - but wholesale child sacrifice in western society certainly doesn't. I mentioned teens advocating for themselves as a counterpoint to the fact that children would not advocate for themselves in order to have sexual relationships with adults. Hence, it will always be perceived as being against the child's will. I have a really hard time believing the likes of NAMBLA etc will ever be able to sway the general pop to their way of thinking.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Children are often treated as if they don't have a will of their own, so it might not be that far from going into a pedophile-accepting society.

heart

heart on fire
Looking at cases of parents who murder childrenand the sentencing, often there's an air that children are sort of "property" which is disturbing.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
To lift the spirit of this discussion, let me tell you a story. Story of a plum tree.

A few months ago we realized that a bush on our yard is a plum tree. It had loads of plums ripening, but as the winter was getting closer I started to think they are not going to get ripe before the first frost. They didn't, but we harvested them anyways and mashed them and try to make wine. We haven't done that before, so I don't know if we have any chances. Anyway, it seems to be working. It bubbles and everything. Has anyone tried to make wine of plums? Should they be ripe?

heart

heart on fire
I know nothing of making fruit wines, except that one has to be careful or they have too much of a certain chemical that gives people massively bad hangovers.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh? Well, that hasn't stopped us drinking before... :devil:

heart

heart on fire
If it is processed improperly it develops those chemcials, something about the fruit sugar. I read it on Yahoo questions before.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
If it is processed improperly it develops those chemcials, something about the fruit sugar. I read it on Yahoo questions before.

Well, we boiled the plums and added some enzymes that have something to do with the sugar processing...

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, I think we need a chemist now... Unlikely in NF forum, don't you think.