• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF General Discussion Thread

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
No, I'm pretty sure a relative in the room next to yours is still grosser.

True. 'scuse my goofy exuberance. ;)

I can't imagine. Don't think I'd be comfortable with it if I could hear it.

I grew up oblivious to the fact that my parents were sexual beings. Maybe they weren't!

I know my adult kids aren't comfortable talking about any family member's sexuality and they were raised with what I think were open attitudes.

Must be the incest taboo. It's nearly inherent in this culture, I guess.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sorry guys, need to vent..

Why are some people so disappointing?

:sad:

Ugh, ugh, ugh!!!

Let people live the lives they want to live, quit infringing on an adult's right to make a decision concerning his own life, let consenting adults DO AS THEY FUCKING PLEASE!!!

If you don't like it? Then don't engage in the behavior, but why would you ever impose *your* preferences and personal beliefs on someone else.

And...

USE YOUR FUCKING BRAINS!!!

Education, thinking, critical thinking, these are all such beautiful and *necessary* things.

GAHHHHHH!!!

Ignorance facilitates "evil".

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^ awww...you okay??

heart

heart on fire
Most people can't think critically, these links explain why!

Mack White

The Century of the Self - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A form of science would be used on the public shortly, of which they would be oblivious, that would control their minds, their thoughts eventually they will have no opinions of their own. All they will be able to do is repeat and parrot what they've heard on the previous nights news, because they would then expect the media to actually exist to do their reasoning for them."

Zbigniew Brzezinski
Between Two Ages: America's Role in the Technetronic Era, 1970

"Shortly the public will be under the influence of a form of mind control which they'll be totally unaware of."

Lord Bertrand Russell
The Impact of Science on Society

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't think it's my responsibility to judge anyone, think for anyone, or tell them what I feel is right and wrong in response to their personal lives and decisions.

I do, however, feel it my duty to speak up when I see someone I care about making a decision I believe is bad for them. I may sometimes seem as if I am pushing my agenda onto them, for it is out of love that I mention it at all.. but ultimately, I will support them and their choices almost anyway I can than to ever let them think that my morals are above our friendship. Exceptions to every rule exist.. however, for the most part, this is how I think.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I do, however, feel it my duty to speak up when I see someone I care about making a decision I believe is bad for them.

From experience, doing that can result in ruined friendships, but that's the price to pay to listen to your gut says sometimes huh?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I love kindness, and kind-hearted people.

Whenever I meet a kind person I feel overwhelmed with :wub:

One genuinely kind person excuses, or negates the existences of 100 assholes, I swear.

So, to all you kind folk out there, I am so so appreciative that you exist.

:hug:

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I don't think it's my responsibility to judge anyone, think for anyone, or tell them what I feel is right and wrong in response to their personal lives and decisions.

I do, however, feel it my duty to speak up when I see someone I care about making a decision I believe is bad for them. I may sometimes seem as if I am pushing my agenda onto them, for it is out of love that I mention it at all.. but ultimately, I will support them and their choices almost anyway I can than to ever let them think that my morals are above our friendship. Exceptions to every rule exist.. however, for the most part, this is how I think.

Same here, if I love you then it's only out of love that I will try to help you see where I feel you are going wrong. Ultimately though I am you friend first and foremost and will love and cherish you no matter what you choose to do.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I love kindness, and kind-hearted people.

Whenever I meet a kind person I feel overwhelmed with :wub:

One genuinely kind person excuses, or negates the existences of 100 assholes, I swear.

So, to all you kind folk out there, I am so so appreciative that you exist.

:hug:

That's so true, I am always so touched when I come across a kind soul. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and rekindle hope.

Not just that but they always seem to appear in those moments when you most need it, just as if the cosmos knows that you are in need of some goodness.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
grupo_amistad.gif
awww...group hug haha

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, angels. I think we might be angels. Hee.

Damn! It's a tough life for angels flying too close to the ground.;)

Auntie Anja gives CC a motherly hug and says, "Go back out there, Girl."

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i am bored to tears!!! i cannot wait to move back home!!!
ughhh...

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I feel like shit cause I really havn't been as kind a person as I want to be/have been in the past for a while now.

Strange that what would be therapuetic right now would be healing someone else :doh:

I'm rooting for you, CC, I always am.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Most people can't think critically, these links explain why!

The Century of the Self - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had to read "The Triumph of the Therapeutic: Uses of Faith After Freud" (by Philip Rieff) for my Philosophy of History & Culture class. I'm so surprised that no psychology class I have taken has gone over this concept; of course it could be because psychologists are probably reluctant to admit that their moral neutrality is questionable.

The reason we had to read this for a philosophy class on culture was because of how it is destroying the foundations of culture. Though culture is an extremely hard concept to define, there is general consensus that it is the one thing that unifies the people of a population. This "Century of Self" (or what Rieff calls "the psychological man") puts a gap between us and others because we are now encouraged to not be "repressed" by culture, religion, or society. For example: A man who wishes to have sex with donkeys believes that he should be able to, and he desires not to be "repressed" by those who believe he shouldn't.

I did not read the entire book but only the sections that were assigned, so I would blame my own failure at conveying a proper summary before dismissing the theory altogether. I just thought the argument was interesting.

heart

heart on fire
The Century of Self was more about how Frued's ideas and psychological knowldege are used to maniulate and drive public opinion and individual thoughts.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Aw, wedekit. I think it's just that, with all this prosperity, we have become a very self-centered, me-first culture.

And the idea of "personal rights" has followed right along.

(And how does the donkey feel about all this?) ;)

S

Sniffles

I had to read "The Triumph of the Therapeutic: Uses of Faith After Freud" (by Philip Rieff) for my Philosophy of History & Culture class. I'm so surprised that no psychology class I have taken has gone over this concept; of course it could be because psychologists are probably reluctant to admit that their moral neutrality is questionable.

The reason we had to read this for a philosophy class on culture was because of how it is destroying the foundations of culture. Though culture is an extremely hard concept to define, there is general consensus that it is the one thing that unifies the people of a population. This "Century of Self" (or what Rieff calls "the psychological man") puts a gap between us and others because we are now encouraged to not be "repressed" by culture, religion, or society. For example: A man who wishes to have sex with donkeys believes that he should be able to, and he desires not to be "repressed" by those who believe he shouldn't.

I did not read the entire book but only the sections that were assigned, so I would blame my own failure at conveying a proper summary before dismissing the theory altogether. I just thought the argument was interesting.

Haven't read this particular book, but another that deals with this issue to a great extent is Christopher Lasch's The Culture of Narcissism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Aw, wedekit. I think it's just that, with all this prosperity, we have become a very self-centered, me-first culture.

And the idea of "personal rights" has followed right along.

(And how does the donkey feel about all this?) ;)

It's odd how in most other cultures your family is your foundation and comes first. In my experience, it's more common for Americans to be willing to abandon their families in order to be who they want to be, or do what they want to do. I admit to having this kind of mindset during some parts of my life.

I also think that the American idea of freedom has transformed from its original meaning. I see the American revolution being based on a "freedom from..." Now people use it as a "freedom to..."

And YEAH! Poor donkeys! =(

Haven't read this particular book, but another that deals with this issue to a great extent is Christopher Lasch's The Culture of Narcissism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff.