User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP

I escaped the hell of office work with a similar education background as you, with a pretty ingenious 3 step escape strategy over a 5 year span....but I'm not an ENFP so I doubt you want to hear it.

Best decision I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    I escaped the hell of office work with a similar education background as you, with a pretty ingenious 3 step escape strategy over a 5 year span....but I'm not an ENFP so I doubt you want to hear it. Best decision I ever made.
    Love to know. I'm all for doing a mix of things at the moment to get somewhere new.

I think even if your goals or areas of comfort are different, I could learn something from it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueScreen View Post
    Love to know. I'm all for doing a mix of things at the moment to get somewhere new. I think even if your goals or areas of comfort are different, I could learn something from it.
    Step one: acquire casual experience. Fire up YouTube and tackle some phsyical projects. Fix a radio. Restore a chair. Instal a garbage disposal. Whatever. Something to get you to step two.

Step two: betray the soulless bureaucracy you currently work for by taking interviews for maintenance positions on teams of two or more, preferably ones that cover a lot of ground and do a lot of different things. Sell your enthusiastic work ethic with your accomplishments from step one and get hired instantly. Mention that you want to stay at a job like that until you retire.

Step three: once you get a feel for all of the various trades, and figure out which are the most therapeutic to your natural disposition- and which your body enjoys doing the most- ditch that job and specialize. As long as it's in one of the smart trades (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, carpentry), the more you specialize the easier the work gets and the more lucrative the pay.
    Likes BlueScreen liked this post

Thanks for sharing. And glad you escaped to something better

I've been thinking about what I like, and something creative like product design engineering or something entrepreneurial could be good. I love innovation and finding creative solutions to problems. I also tend to do an extra step of optimising the solution, a bit like an artist always trying to perfect their work.

While I don't have a mech eng degree, I think elec eng and physics, plus experience in inventions from IP might make it a possible shift without too much more study. It might also almost fit in the ENFP suitable career list for the first time.

Is anyone else working in this sort of area who could give some advice?