• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's Attracted to SJ Types?

mickey1955

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
A lot of us NF's share one dream: finding our soulmate. However, it veritably takes a lot of time and effort to fully accomplish that dream; more so for the reason that we wanna find someone who understands us on all levels and dimensions. Someone who will love us unconditionally and bring out the best in us, no matter what adversities we encounter with that special someone. Ironically enough, us NF's would find our soulmates in our own subgroup (or NT's for that matter). Problem is, it can be hard to easily identify and intuitively call out the potential for a future with someone in today's society where so many people resort to judging on a materialistic level. We are guilty of doing this as well, especially when falling for an SJ type.

Ah yes, SJ's...they definitely are labeled as the 'Guardians' for a reason. Stable, driven, goal-oriented, and secure...all the qualities you'd want in a partner that'd be deemed as your safe space. They may not emotionally comprehend us as cohesively as an NF or NT would, but they sure as hell have this charisma and boldness to them that you compels you to believe you'd have somebody to protect your heart. Us NF's harbor this idealistic mentality that strongly contradicts itself. We yearn for somebody to understand and be understood by them, alongside having our romantic expectations that derived from growing up watching Disney/fairytales as well. We turn to the SJ's and suddenly believe we've found the closest thing to a knight in shining armor. Although it needs to be known that a knight in broken armor should be the one to go after, because shiny armor denotes strength that hasn't been tested yet. I currently feel this way with an ISTJ I've fallen head over heels for since the past two years. He may struggle to keep up with my enigmatic way of seeing the world, but I know that he still means well. He may not fully understand me, but I know he wants to understand. His attributes of coming to my rescue whenever I felt threatened by somebody else is what had my heart stolen. I was his damsel in distress. Even if he wasn't fully aware of that. Even if things don't turn out the way I want them to between us, I'd wanna thank him for being there as I don't regret meeting somebody who instilled hope within the idea of stable, chivalrous love. :wubbie:

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don’t date or approach people by type, but funny enough, I’ve found over the years that the friends I tend to keep around are more often than not, SJs. That tells me there is something on a deeper level that attracts me towards these fine people. I half jokingly tell people that I am so often with my head in the clouds and disconnected from reality in a sense with the sort of idealism NFs are known for, that the more grounded SJs in my life help keep me closer to home, otherwise I might just float off into space! :happy2: But, I think that might actually be a large reason why I do naturally seem to find myself around these sorts of personalities because as much as I love my perspective and vision towards life, something subconsciously within, must know that I must find balance in life by surrounding myself with SJs. Who knows? I find it interesting how I tend to befriend and find SJs without actively trying. :)

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A lot of us NF's share one dream: finding our soulmate. However, it veritably takes a lot of time and effort to fully accomplish that dream; more so for the reason that we wanna find someone who understands us on all levels and dimensions. Someone who will love us unconditionally and bring out the best in us, no matter what adversities we encounter with that special someone.

Gag. But XSTJ types with decent Fi are my kryptonite.

Amberiat

Infinity
I guess after a certain point in life stability turns from boring to attractive, makes sense, given that after a certain age when people finally have to learn to live on their own they realize how hard it is and learn to appreciate the people they probably considered boring before.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting question (well all questions are of course, but this one I'll try to answer it...).

Most of the time I have felt attracted emotionally by NF types but we finish to focus to much on our ideals, or SP types for fun and a short term relationship. Most of my friends are NT. SJ were until here quite boring and viewed by my cares
as "too conventional". So I avoided them, mainly a few ESTJ who seemed far too much materialistic to me, and in a sense they were (one of them asked me to marry him after 6 months whereas he didn't even try to know who I am deep down).

But life is amazing and full of ups and down, full of flaws but also of discoveries you'll make for yourself, depending on the intention you have and which doors you allow (yourself and) others to open...

I had a tough relation last year that I broke up due to a lack of positivity and finally it became a burden in my life. Well, we all have breaks up. Some are really tough...
Most people see the NF or SP as very flighty or seeking several partners, or even as "unstable" as they seem to seek a greener grass once they have been mowing a brand new one.
That is only what is viewed from outside, from a lense that can't see what's happening deep inside.
The reason why I tend to change my relations isn't because I wanna have fun, or I feel bored. Unless you take into account this : that Fi of mine which I probably feel not taken into account.

To go straight to the point, a few months ago I met this ISTJ and wow, here is an interesting meeting.
So you may think yes but wait it is new, you'll get fed up in a while. That is possible of course but I'll try to answer this OP.

I saw several descriptions of ISTJ about their dominant functions
(some say Si some others I read say Ti anyway followed by Se).

After this experiment in the SJ laboratory of that guy (we write each other every single day) I can say he probably views me like an extraterrestre but at least he is full of depth (and doubts also),
he is interesting and shows his interest intellectually (which wasn't the case with the SP or other SJ I met). He is also extremely precise about what he thinks, open about his feelings, is able to show his vulnerability (which I love and respect because to me he his willing to show his honesty).

Maybe this apply to you(other NF or SP,)but my meeting with him looks like this :

I propose him to do something (enthusiasm), I tell him so.
He refuses most of the time thinking of something negative
I know deep down it is not a lack of appreciation (if not he would not take time to justify himself).
I point out the positive aspect of the situation, I insist on freedom and creativity.
He gets very attracted by my state of mind but feels he needs time by his own
He tells it to me and knows my independance strike will probably make me understand his needs for some loneliness.

Then I don't contact him because he needs that space
But then he starts getting worried and intend to hide it (I can say by reading the energy through his words when he writes or phone),
I will tell him my new plans for the following weeks,
He will take some distance because he probably think it is what I need, not making plans with him (instead of communicating with me and being direct, that happens with all introverts in my opinion)

I take some distance myself because I think he has to take more things and hands, and come over his fears (of the unknown for example)
He won't plan anything . Enjoy the silence dear NF !

He will ask me in a subtle way after a while : "You could have contacted me at such or such time, that day, I was in my office". Whereas I was enjoying the silence:)
He will never ask me "Why didn't you call me". He knows very well I could interpret this sentence as a kind of way to control me.

ETC/...
ETC...
Finally we do communicate every single day but rarely meet (maybe that will change but there is a push and pull stuff in the air).

The relationship I have with him looks like this until now :
YouTube

I don't know if this one is 6 or 4, but what I know is he has a deep 5 side, which helps me connecting to my 5 positive and calm side.
Of course he doesn't know this. But what I am conscious of is that this guy didn't believe in happiness for years and is now attracted by different kinds of relationships as well (more positive, even if he is really careful and I can sense this miles away).

I know he admires my tendency to take in hands new ideas and adventures and to explore them, but he is more at home in a familiar atmosphere.

One day we had to meet in a city he knows very well. Finally I had a problem this day and could not go so far by my own. So I simply phoned him and said :
"Hey, Wait we will meet but I'll be in Y instead of being in X".
And suddenly the anxiety came out "Why Y?" (I took this like "it's not a good idea")
Suddenly I said "Ok if you don't wanna come let it drop", and at this point only he said
"No wait, I am only trying to figure out which road I will take to join you, of course I will be pleased "

Very often NF and SP needs a sprinkle, a sign of enthusiasm, right ? It makes me sick when others only see the negative. But I try to see this as I grow as a warning, as something which is useful and not only "boring".
Because I did also many mistakes in my life by only viewing at the positive side and took this way USELESS RISKS (and that is maybe the why NF are attracted by SJ).

I am an intuitive person so I won't always measure like a Ti person (which probably this guy is) or Si person
"Is that the right thing to do". I just do them, encourage, follow my ideas or instinct due to my past good/bad experiments and the pleasure/positive experiment I felt. And if it is "bad" or something goes wrong, I will learn something from it.
Because anyway I believe in destiny (so let's take risks like in the link down bellow)

YouTube

So to conclude about SJ/NF attraction (whether friendship, romantic etc),
I think once the NF is ready to be more grounded, to calm down, to relax, to feel and think and not be afraid of conventionalism...

The question towards SJ types would be how do you feel the NF types in your decisions process ? Do you feel we are dangerous beasts with strange ideas ? :)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I don't agree that you can't find a well-matched supportive partner in an NF or NT. Imagine an INFJ 6 with a strong sense of loyalty and duty, or an INTP 9 Sx whose primary concern would be keeping harmony and intimacy in tact, or an INTJ 5w4 who appreciates the deeper more complex parts of you and wants to help you work toward your goals.

Personality theory is fascinating and oftentimes pretty accurate/helpful, but it certainly doesn't cover the entire spectrum of human nuance.

I do wholeheartedly agree that as we mature, we begin to appreciate stability and characteristics we may have previously considered boring, and no... I do not think of that as settling, but rather as growing.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Must be a mistake. Nobody likes SJs. :alttongue:

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Only if they are males - searching for perfectly stable SJ woman. ;)

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never been attracted to or in a romantic relationship with an SJ. But I can tell you that when you find an SJ that you just sort of "gel" with, they are wonderful companions and friends. There are exceptions, but a lot of the people who have been my biggest supporters in my life have been SJs. I have a lot of appreciation for what they bring to the world.

Now, SJs are probably the temperament I also clash the most with. But I find that's usually because I think my strong Ne and very weak Si can come across as very tiring, alarming, and/or obnoxious. If the SJ has a repeated, negative reaction to my cognitive processes and manner of presenting myself, we're less likely to get along.

A very dear ESFJ friend has basically described me as an "acquired taste" (those were actually my words, I was trying to help her figure out words to put to what she was thinking) and another long time friend of mine who is an ISTJ has admitted that my those of type (ENFP) tend to rub him the wrong way at times.

All in all, if it's the right combination of people who truly love each other and want to make a relationship work, I think an SJ and NF in a romantic relationship could really work out well.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't think there's any one type that's impossible to make things work with and in some ways, the things that matter to infjs are often compatible with the SJ tendancy towards stability, family, work etc. I dated an estj for a long time and appreciated his gregariousness, curiosity, competence, and found that what he naturally paid attention to and what I did were very complementary when we worked together. He also was a good teacher and made me feel very comfortable trying new foods and hobbies and experiences that I wouldn't have on my own. I also have many sj friends that like to take care of practical considerations when we hang out together that I wouldn't normally pay attention to.

One area where things aren't so good was communication and conflict resolution, and I've observed the same between my enfj mother and istj father. With maturity on both sides, I think that can be addressed, but it is not as natural and easy as with some other type combinations. I think both sides would need to do some work to make communications device in a relationship. SJs also tend to take things at face value, whereas infjs read between the lines, even when there is nothing to read. Infjs I think need more ongoing reassurance about the health and status of the relationship and regular bits of data about the other person's feelings or they will incorrectly fill in the blanks. For stjs at least, they may feel quite uncomfortable sharing their emotional state, particularly when they are upset, and they may find infjs oversensitive or intrusive in that regard.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never been attracted to or in a romantic relationship with an SJ. But I can tell you that when you find an SJ that you just sort of "gel" with, they are wonderful companions and friends. There are exceptions, but a lot of the people who have been my biggest supporters in my life have been SJs. I have a lot of appreciation for what they bring to the world.

Now, SJs are probably the temperament I also clash the most with. But I find that's usually because I think my strong Ne and very weak Si can come across as very tiring, alarming, and/or obnoxious. If the SJ has a repeated, negative reaction to my cognitive processes and manner of presenting myself, we're less likely to get along.

A very dear ESFJ friend has basically described me as an "acquired taste" (those were actually my words, I was trying to help her figure out words to put to what she was thinking) and another long time friend of mine who is an ISTJ has admitted that my those of type (ENFP) tend to rub him the wrong way at times.

All in all, if it's the right combination of people who truly love each other and want to make a relationship work, I think an SJ and NF in a romantic relationship could really work out well.

I do wonder...is that a sexual image "rub it the wrong way" :thinking:
What did he mean exactly by saying so ?
Sorry but I am not an english speaker...

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do wonder...is that a sexual image "rub it the wrong way" :thinking: What did he mean exactly by saying so ? Sorry but I am not an english speaker...
It's fine. I don't mind explaining at all. Languages are tricky, and I used a phrase that is slang and it doesn't match the verb "rub" in a physical sense.

To rub someone the wrong way is not sexual. It's basically when you get a weird vibe from someone. Something about them bothers you, even if you can't tell what exactly it is.

Hope that helps! And I don't mind, so there's no need to apologize.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That expression comes from how cats dislike when you pet them so their fur stands up - rubbing them the wrong way.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Dreaming of finding a soulmate" sounds nightmarish and cringeworthy. Hashtag #NotAllFs.

But anyway, a lot of my good friends are SJ. It might also be because they are extremely common, but there is a certain kind of synergy I get with them, and while good, is not something I would pursue and make a marriage out of. However, they make very good, stable, and loyal friends. Their trust in you runs deep once you win them, the most unconditional affections I have received from people have been from SJs, particularly ISFJ. Personally, I appreciate them for this trait the most, and if that's what you're looking for in a marriage, you're on the right track.

Something to note as well, I tend to take more time and words to explain something to them than I would a fellow N. I don't have a hard tally on it, but it's something I've noticed over the years. The chance for misunderstanding each other is there, but I find that SJ (ISXJ in particular) are usually are the ones to concede and accept you still, especially once they've seen that what you do really works, whether or not they understand it. This could be a positive or negative point depending on the person.

Then again, this is all just a trend. There are many factors at play, not just MBTI type. As long as both parties stay healthy and mature, what are the limits, really?

Arcayne

Permabanned
MBTI Type
Infp
I guess I can see the apeal but they are not for me... :unsure:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an SJ who has dated almost exclusively NFs (and is married to an INFJ), I can say you guys are a very welcome shore that my pessimistic ass loves to himself on. I can easily see where the communication would break apart/become a struggle but when it works...it works really well

Thanks for the love OP :wubbie:

MissNeolithic

MBTI Type
INFJ
I find people in the SJ group to be lovely, good and honest people most of the time and have had many dear friends of the temperament. In honesty generally tend to gravitate and get on much better with the introverted SJs compared to the extroverts, as sometimes I can find them too overbearing and what I clash with the ISXJs I tend to clash even more with ESXJs.
In a romantic context, I have been attracted to ISTJs the most (out of the four SJ types, with ISFJ second) but I found we were usually too incompatible in our long-term goals and values. I have often found XSTJs unwilling to understand or discuss emotive issues and to be more expressive frustrating and that charming brick wall of tradition and reality, in some individuals, that prevent deep theoretical discussions that I crave. However, the SJs in my life, I am certain, have many qualms with me too haha.
Sometimes if the S traits of the SJ and N traits of NF individuals are strong, while the opposite functions are not developed (ie very weak N in the SJ and vice versa) it could mean that there is virtually no commonality to spark a deep emotional attraction as SJs and NFs tend to want very different things from their conversations, especially on the NF side who tend to crave deep emotive and theoretical discussions. Though with two well-rounded individual sparks could certainly fly... And while SJ types and NFs have a lot of differences, if there is a will, and both parties are healthy and at the right point in their lives, there is most certainly a way to make it work.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been married to an SJ for 17 years.
Our biggest issues have been communication and conflict resolution but we've managed to work through these differences. Sharing values and goals has helped. I find we balance each other.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That expression comes from how cats dislike when you pet them so their fur stands up - rubbing them the wrong way.

True. But I'm fairly sure cats would kill all humans if they could, rubbed the wrong way or not.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think they'd just wither them into nothingness with a contemptuous stare as their weapon of choice.