• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ Mask(s)

mickey1955

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Any of my fellow INFJ's who have created 'masks' to blend in with their respective environment? I notice I have two primary masks that I put on to survive social situations; that being my ENFJ and ISFP mask. I wear my ENFJ mask for when I have to take charge as a leader and/or lead people in the right direction within a public setting. My ISFP mask is worn for when I initiate small talk with other sensor types or when just simply letting myself have fun at a party/social event.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I wouldn't say I have masks,but certainly I tend to be what is missing in a situation. In the absence of leadership, I take charge. If someone is very quiet, I'll make overtures to them. Around someone who is very extroverted I'm more of an audience member and observer, one on one I'm pretty talkative and open, in groups I have little to say etc. I think it's not consciously done, but I do tend to want to accommodate the most people possible, which is one reason I find it hard to bring disparate groups of my friends together, as it is difficult to adequately bridge the gaps needed so everyone is engaged and comfortable.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I naturally form masks with fe, not to be a "fake" or a "phony" but it takes me time to warm up to people. I act pretty different in different settings depending on the needs placed on me but I never lose my true self in the process. I worry about this and some people perceive the parts of the masks that may not be reflective of my deepest self at the true me. It leads me to question what the real me is at times. Thus, masks form. It really depends on the envirenment I am in. I can be quiet and reserved in many respects but energetic with the people I am close to.

MyINFJness

Enneagram
Oh, yes to masks. I am a chameleon, and a social worker, so have a keen ability to ‘adjust myself’ according to who I am in the presence of. Not in an artificial way, but more of in a mirroring way to better understand perspective and relate. I remember one time I referenced my ‘masks’ in clinical supervision. It went like:
Me: “You know how sometimes you put on different ‘hats’ according to who you are with?
Clinical supervisor: “No. I don’t do that”
Me: “Okay”
I learned not everyone operates the way I do. As I have gotten older I have come to appreciate these special skills rather than feel alienated because of them. It really is all in how you see and value yourself.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Mask? May be you mean you are behaving like other type that you mentioned; instead of being yourself. One thing I have noticed when behaving not as myself is that I become spiritually exhausted.

LenaOnTheMoon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have an INFJ friend who is a social chameleon at all times and hangs out with different kinds of people… she is friends with me but also my archenemies, and she never takes a specific side. Still, I can tell that she cares about me. It’s just that she sees things from diverse perspectives. Moreover, she hides her true personality, preferring to listen instead of talking about herself.