User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFj Ni

Default NF's Typically Attracted to Acting/Theatre/Performing Arts?

For those of you involved in a high school theatre program or any performing arts facility in general, notice that NF's usually comprise the environment? Most notably ENFP's in theatre especially, with a handful of the other NF types here and there; at least at my school. Could it be that performing is something that NF's resonate with because of the emotional outlet that comes with it? I've always turned to performing arts (music and acting) as a therapy bubble because it allowed me to showcase the burning passion inside of me that people usually don't see from the surface. I feel alive when performing. What about the rest of y'all?
    Likes RedAmazoneFriendZone liked this post

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    EXFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EEI Fi

As I may have already said in another post (I can't remember because sometimes I think about doing it so strongly I have the impression I did it...), I quitted my last theatre group because of a lack of communication as well as a lack of sense.
    The teacher never asked anyone how he/she felt with that play/role, and it became to me a nonsense.

But yes I have enjoyed playing since I needed to get in touch with too many negative energies and emotions I used to deny. And I got conscious of that.
    I consciously decided to play theatre because I wanted to overcome those and become more familiar with feelings I had not been allowed to express when I was a child
    (and that are still taboo in my family). Those are : sadness, no self-doubt, no expression of fragilities. And that is extremely dangerous...

To get in touch with all the emotions is part of our nature, don't ruin it by listening to people who aren't able to feel confortable themselves with their own nature.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

I've never been involved in theatre, except maybe stepping into persona when drunk, especially at themed parties or if people have accessories like hats on that I can borrow.

But I agree that being creative is often a search for ways to express the dreams, music, emotions, etc. that sometimes seem trapped inside. The inner world is so amazing but it's often really hard to capture externally with the same beauty. Art gives some of the language needed to get there.

ENFP by the way.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

I took part in acting for a small time in college as well as certain design aspects of it and was friends with a small enclave of theatre geeks back in high school. What I have noticed being around that sort of environment was indeed a higher concentration of NFs (specifically in theatre) then you would find likely elsewhere. However, there was also a generous portion of SFs, and it makes sense when you think about the physicality involved in the performing arts (having to be much in tune with your body, mannerisms, vocal inflections, etc.). Many of the more flamboyant actors were ENFPs from what I have gathered and were absolute naturals at improv. Admittedly when I think of theatre in the general sense, I tend to think of ENFPs for some reason.
    “They wander in darkness seeking light, failing to realize that the light is in the heart of the darkness” ― Manly P. Hall

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

NFs in general are going to be very attracted to any form of creative outlet.
    "No human being is ever beyond redemption. The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists. How to support that possibility in others & in ourselves is the ultimate question.”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

I've done performance arts. I really enjoyed it. Though I'm an introvert I like performing in front of others. My introversion isn't about shyness, it's about a liking for privacy.

Senior Member Hellena Handbasket's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sx/sp

Yes. I've done theater, dancing, choir, I play several musical instruments. I've sand in a band. I was worship leader at my old church. I LOVE being onstage. I get almost a high from the emotions of the audience. (it's a hard feeling to describe) But I am a very private person and while I do like to perform I don't like direct attention. An example: After a recent aerial dance performance, the director called me back up on stage after the show was almost over to praise my performance. I was fine with the applause I received but the minute I heard,"Hellena can you come up here?" I wanted to run for the nearest exit. Because it put me on the spot and caught me off guard and singled me out.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

As an ENFP, I did some theater summer programs as a young girl. I enjoyed them, but just had a lot of other things that came first. I do enjoy watching plays and musicals when the opportunity arises. I love stories.

I can see ENFPs being drawn to theater though. It's a creative outlet, and ENFPs are often draw to things like the arts. Personally, I'm probably most drawn to literature and storytelling through the written word. Though, I'm more of a non-fiction/Academic writer, which I mostly contribute to only ever being formally taught that style. So, as a weird consequence, I feel a bit uncomfortable with purely creative writing.

I can see the other NF types enjoying theater as well.