• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's Typically Attracted to Acting/Theatre/Performing Arts?

mickey1955

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
For those of you involved in a high school theatre program or any performing arts facility in general, notice that NF's usually comprise the environment? Most notably ENFP's in theatre especially, with a handful of the other NF types here and there; at least at my school. Could it be that performing is something that NF's resonate with because of the emotional outlet that comes with it? I've always turned to performing arts (music and acting) as a therapy bubble because it allowed me to showcase the burning passion inside of me that people usually don't see from the surface. I feel alive when performing. What about the rest of y'all?

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I may have already said in another post (I can't remember because sometimes I think about doing it so strongly I have the impression I did it...), I quitted my last theatre group because of a lack of communication as well as a lack of sense.
The teacher never asked anyone how he/she felt with that play/role, and it became to me a nonsense.

But yes I have enjoyed playing since I needed to get in touch with too many negative energies and emotions I used to deny. And I got conscious of that.
I consciously decided to play theatre because I wanted to overcome those and become more familiar with feelings I had not been allowed to express when I was a child
(and that are still taboo in my family). Those are : sadness, no self-doubt, no expression of fragilities. And that is extremely dangerous...

To get in touch with all the emotions is part of our nature, don't ruin it by listening to people who aren't able to feel confortable themselves with their own nature.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I've never been involved in theatre, except maybe stepping into persona when drunk, especially at themed parties or if people have accessories like hats on that I can borrow.

But I agree that being creative is often a search for ways to express the dreams, music, emotions, etc. that sometimes seem trapped inside. The inner world is so amazing but it's often really hard to capture externally with the same beauty. Art gives some of the language needed to get there.

ENFP by the way.

I took part in acting for a small time in college as well as certain design aspects of it and was friends with a small enclave of theatre geeks back in high school. What I have noticed being around that sort of environment was indeed a higher concentration of NFs (specifically in theatre) then you would find likely elsewhere. However, there was also a generous portion of SFs, and it makes sense when you think about the physicality involved in the performing arts (having to be much in tune with your body, mannerisms, vocal inflections, etc.). Many of the more flamboyant actors were ENFPs from what I have gathered and were absolute naturals at improv. Admittedly when I think of theatre in the general sense, I tend to think of ENFPs for some reason.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
NFs in general are going to be very attracted to any form of creative outlet.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've done performance arts. I really enjoyed it. Though I'm an introvert I like performing in front of others. My introversion isn't about shyness, it's about a liking for privacy.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. I've done theater, dancing, choir, I play several musical instruments. I've sand in a band. I was worship leader at my old church. I LOVE being onstage. I get almost a high from the emotions of the audience. (it's a hard feeling to describe) But I am a very private person and while I do like to perform I don't like direct attention. An example: After a recent aerial dance performance, the director called me back up on stage after the show was almost over to praise my performance. I was fine with the applause I received but the minute I heard,"Hellena can you come up here?" I wanted to run for the nearest exit. Because it put me on the spot and caught me off guard and singled me out.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As an ENFP, I did some theater summer programs as a young girl. I enjoyed them, but just had a lot of other things that came first. I do enjoy watching plays and musicals when the opportunity arises. I love stories.

I can see ENFPs being drawn to theater though. It's a creative outlet, and ENFPs are often draw to things like the arts. Personally, I'm probably most drawn to literature and storytelling through the written word. Though, I'm more of a non-fiction/Academic writer, which I mostly contribute to only ever being formally taught that style. So, as a weird consequence, I feel a bit uncomfortable with purely creative writing.

I can see the other NF types enjoying theater as well.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am a huge fan of film and am majoring in cinema studies. I am mostly into the creative aspect, editing, and writing. There are so many different acting methods and styles, one has to find their own in order to perfect the art of it. Brining up an emotional experience from one's life and thinking of it can potentially help. The acting is an important element of film too. I have taken some improv classes and find that it is a fun way to be expressive. Especially with on-the-spot stuff when there is a prompt.

When I was younger, voice actress was a job that I thought of too. I still like doing voices and impressions but don't see myself as plausibly doing that for a living. I have dubbed over some of my own personal videos for fun though. I know to be big in the field, acting or voice acting, it takes a lot of experience but I do like acting just for fun. I admit I get nervous in front of a lot of people but when in my comfort zone, I enjoy acting.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
I don't know. Acting, at least on professional level seems to be a much more NT thing than NF.