• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How do NTs get underneath your skin???

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I don't really hate things about NT's rather... I find them slightly disturbing at times.
When they don't want to see another view than their own.

Otherwise than that... Not really a subject of hate for me.
ISTJ's though. Ugh. Only met one that I can clearly type though.
GOD DAMNIT. Really fucking annoying.
(I probably will change this disturbance in my nature if another said ISTJ comes forward and actually acts in a way that isn't toooooooo confined.)

ArtlessFuture

MBTI Type
INFP
In some ways, I think it is better to be an NF with a relatively strong T than an NT with a relatively strong/weak F. (Eh, I think I need some sleep, that made no sense at ALL).

Nah, that makes sense.

NT's really annoy me when they are Right and you are Wrong (notice the caps). Even when you bring irrefutable evidence to back your stance. I can actually show some sort of hard evidence, and they will still push it away. Usually their ego gets involved at that point. To be proven wrong when they are clearly soooo intelligent and have such a mastery over logic would be as good as death. Then it becomes an argument.

One time I argued with an NT about who directed Nightmare before Christmas for about 3 minutes. Tim Burton wrote the story, but he didn't direct it. They refused to believe me. Unfortunately we were at a restaurant so I couldn't just go online and show them. It really wasn't that important to me but they wouldn't just trust me on it.

Another thing is the social ineptitude. But now that I know about MBTI I understand them much more.

Koocoomoo

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w3?
I freaking love them.
I find their arrogance and overconfidence superficially attractive to the EXTREME.
Well, when they have REASON to be arrogant.
If they're stupid and arrogant - not often in NTs - it's incredibly annoying.
But I <3 NTs. Sexay.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because of reinforcement of the current Western culture they're utterly convinced that they're the "right" type and that others should strive to be as they are. I find them to be insensitive and arrogant, but then feel sorry for them when they come across as being such obviously socially clueless nerds. It's like they preach their logic to overcompensate for their secret insecurity. Sad.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
`
I think they can be utterly obnoxious and pompous and intellectually rigid to the point of sheer absurdity.

Surely, I am not the only one who has had difficulties with NTs, please share your frustrations here.

:)

I like most of them a lot.

When I have difficulties with them... it's usually because they're too tolerant of a state of affairs I think is horrible, or else too insistent on something I find oppressive and unacceptable just because it works.

I don't seem to find a lot of NTs like that, though. Most of them seem to be freaked out by the same things I am. Especially ENTPs and INTJs, to the point that I often mistake them for Fs at first.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
When they give you that smug look like, "awww, she's soooo quut when she gets all emotional"

Little do they know that even when we are emotional, we still (rationally) get what's going on, it's just that what's going on is upsetting.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
When they give you that smug look like, "awww, she's soooo quut when she gets all emotional"

Little do they know that even when we are emotional, we still (rationally) get what's going on, it's just that what's going on is upsetting.
lol i admit my husband thinks its cute to wind me up and all these years later i still allow him too. i think i like it as well. weird.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTJs get under my skin in a good way. :)

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Perhaps the reason you hate us so much is that we can see right through your emotionally driven hatred. You tell us that we a hateful, stubborn and arrogant and that we should all be caring and whatnot, yet you come here and have a 17 page attack thread.

Very, very interesting double standard you're setting there... Very interesting...

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
they don't, unless they try and bring up their IQ scores.

inb4 'envious' because my eye que is only 89

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
Okay, I need to rant here, because my ENTP father told me this morning that he never wants to see me ever again, and I thought that was rather harsh.

In the past I stopped speaking to him for seven years, but I never said I didn't want to see him again ever. There were things he could have done to get me to talk to him, but he was too fucking retarded to work it out. So I thought fuck it, I'll start building bridges with him because he's never going to work it out and one day he'll be dead and I'll feel bad if I don't. But like a spoilt brat he'd throw tantrums because he wanted everything exactly like he wanted them, right away.

He could have had things as he wanted them if he hadn't been so stupid in the past. But he has no grasp that the laws of cause and effect come into play in your dealings with other people. On my first trip to see him after we started talking again he asked me why I was seeing him. I answered "karma". He took that very badly because he wanted me to want to see him. But what the fuck did he expect? After all those years we would embrace each other in some teary reunion? Real life doesn't work like that, and if he had any sense he would take what he was given and work with that rather than push me away.

And there's the rub. My problems with NTs are not that they conform to the stereotype of emotionless automatons, but when they do get emotional they are so fucking retarded. It's like they're emotionally incontinent. They can't control themselves. He suffers greatly from having poor relationships with his children, but he can't help himself. I feel bad for him because he's the one that suffers most.

[Okay, all that was generalisation from just one ENTP, but like I said, I needed to rant]

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Okay, I need to rant here, because my ENTP father told me this morning that he never wants to see me ever again, and I thought that was rather harsh.

In the past I stopped speaking to him for seven years, but I never said I didn't want to see him again ever. There were things he could have done to get me to talk to him, but he was too fucking retarded to work it out. So I thought fuck it, I'll start building bridges with him because he's never going to work it out and one day he'll be dead and I'll feel bad if I don't. But like a spoilt brat he'd throw tantrums because he wanted everything exactly like he wanted them, right away.

He could have had things as he wanted them if he hadn't been so stupid in the past. But he has no grasp that the laws of cause and effect come into play in your dealings with other people. On my first trip to see him after we started talking again he asked me why I was seeing him. I answered "karma". He took that very badly because he wanted me to want to see him. But what the fuck did he expect? After all those years we would embrace each other in some teary reunion? Real life doesn't work like that, and if he had any sense he would take what he was given and work with that rather than push me away.

And there's the rub. My problems with NTs are not that they conform to the stereotype of emotionless automatons, but when they do get emotional they are so fucking retarded. It's like they're emotionally incontinent. They can't control themselves. He suffers greatly from having poor relationships with his children, but he can't help himself. I feel bad for him because he's the one that suffers most.

[Okay, all that was generalisation from just one ENTP, but like I said, I needed to rant]

:(

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a love-hate feeling toward NTs that's for sure.

I crush on them hard core. There's no one I fall for faster than a scientist/nerd.

At the same time I hate hate HATE when they get all cocky/argumentative/STUPID about things. Some can be mean. Some I've met have bored me nearly to tears, or given me a creepy social-retard vibe. Some are unbelievable asses and then sensitive to boot. Really, if you tell me I'm ugly and annoying and unfeminine, and then tell me that there's an opening at your work, I'm gonna turn it down. What happened to the logic?
But, I get the feeling that they weren't balanced personality types.

Most NTs I meet are like a fantastic mystery. I know there's all sorts of nougaty goodness inside them if I can just get to it!

It depends on the person but usually I adore the NT or I can't stand the NT.

G

garbage

Yeah, this.. damn, hope you're feeling alright about the situation or can come to terms with it. :hug:

My problem? They pick. And pick. And pick again! They're pretty much elated if they think they can find a lynchpin in your worldview and forcefully extract it. I mean, you're wrong, and that's somehow the most important thing in the world, right? :shock:

What's great is when that lynchpin wasn't a lynchpin at all; rather, just one of many blocks in a pretty well-structured stack of Jenga pieces. Congratulations; you've just corrected something that's pretty much inconsequential.

Oh, yeah, and if I refuse to play the game, somehow I've lost. Too bad the game is somehow always on their terms; they always have the home field advantage. Might it be that not everyone is interested in debating in the first place? "No, that's never the case, because everyone must surely see the world in the same way that I do.. a constant battlefield of logical ideas and baseless rhetoric!" :doh:

Go ahead; prod me about my beliefs or positions, then proceed to criticize them. Then expect me to trust you with them in the future. I dare you. :popc1:

I think the great philosopher James Wilson put it best when he said the following:

"Has it ever occurred to you that when I don't share something, it might not be meant as a challenge? It might just mean that I'd like there to be one molecule of my life that goes unexamined by Gregory House."

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yeah, this.. damn, hope you're feeling alright about the situation or can come to terms with it. :hug:

Thanks guys. To be honest I just needed to rant a bit on Saturday, but I knew he didn't really mean what he said. He's annoying, but I've known that for a long time so smoothed things over with him on Sunday.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This by no means applies to NTs in general, and can apply to a variety of types. Both of these trends are part of modern cultural thinking, but are justified in some MBTI applications leaning in the direction of NT categories. There are two tendencies that I've seen that can cause communication problems.

The first is when the reasoning in a position is achieved and made solid through dismissing any information that conflicts with it, but is still affecting the system. This is like building a solid house on the side of a hill made of sandstone that geologists have determined is going to give way in a mud slide. The house may be engineered with a solid foundation, but that becomes meaningless when the mudslide occurs. The lack of holistic thinking can produce solid arguments that are flawed, but those flaws cannot be addressed until the underlying problem of irrational dismissal of information acting on the system is accepted. This is also the approach to reason in modern, corporate society.

The second issue has resulted in part from the implications on some of the MBTI tests:
1. I am warm hearted and loving
2. I am cold and logical
How does a stupid mean person answer this question? This disassociation between reason and empathy is arbitrary. It makes people who disregard the feelings/well-being of others to assume they are logical and even intelligent. It is applied in MBTI, but represents a larger trend in culture that is founded on simple social dominance and equates intelligence=power, and being mean=power (at least short-term and parasitic until it kills its host) forcing a correlation in an attempt to increase its impact. People deliberately act as mean* as they can to appear intelligent? The absurdity of this amazes me, but I stepped back and realized that if all the people who discount the well-being of others started internalizing reason as part of their identity, maybe it is constructive? Maybe in the end it will make them a reasonable person and not socially destructive? It still seems worth pointing out the correlation problem.

*I'm not referring to being direct and blunt in debate which can be associated with reasoning and focusing on ideas, or to jokes, but I am referring to violent references and deliberate humiliation of others for the specific purpose of hurting them and excessive anger as "mean".

G

garbage

The second issue has resulted in part from the implications on some of the MBTI tests:
1. I am warm hearted and loving
2. I am cold and logical
How does a stupid mean person answer this question?

Haha, this is what gets me about this whole business, too.

There was an incident a while back when I thought I was ENTP, where I answered a Socionics test and got IEE (ENFp). I proceeded to question the questions on the basis that nobody would answer them as a T would if they had any consideration toward other people at all.. that, surely, I couldn't be an ethical (feeling) type just because I have that kind of consideration.. I thought, "doesn't everybody?"

Months later, I actually did (re)discover ENFP (and IEE, for that matter) as my own type.

:doh:

But it turns out that there are people who test as T, meaning that what we believe to be "stupid, mean" is actually a viable mindset for some. I suppose we just have to understand and accept that, and also know that our own mindset is just as strange to them as theirs is to ours.

pyramid

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
NTs might not consider many options, just the logical one (and if that option doesn't work they might as well abandon ship)

are routinized; they can lack some spontaneity :rules:

they manhandle sensitive situations :2ar15:

more withdrawn

not so romantic, might not understand a poetic gesture :violin:

pyramid

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Thanks guys. To be honest I just needed to rant a bit on Saturday, but I knew he didn't really mean what he said. He's annoying, but I've known that for a long time so smoothed things over with him on Sunday.

:sorry: :wink:

hey I am glad things are mending, my mom's not an NT but she told me I'd "be the death of her" :shocking: and told me she didn't want to see me unless I had a job

sigh--parents. Love you and how?

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
Nt's can be arrogant, assuming that every one wants to be them, when frankly am so happy im an nf i cant express it

Nt's are dick-wads. Theres no getting around it.

Nt's can't see the world any other way but theirs.