• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Famous historical NF's

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Same story as the NT one, and I'll start by proposing St Francis of Assisi as ENFP. I don't think I need to explain who he was... or I should hope not...! :D

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
St. John of the Cross ("Dark Night of the Soul") - INFP

Yeah I think I'll go with you on that one.

But as you know, I'm a Franciscan Tertiary headed for friar-dom someday - and I'm coming to think that St Francis might've made the switch from ENFP to INFP over the course of his life. It just seems to me like Fi became increasingly dominant in him in his last 5 years or so, and I think it had overtaken his Ne by the time he was near death. Of course, this doesn't follow the rules of what we were saying in the 'change type' thread, since like, heavy spiritual stuff is involved!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another important question: What is it like to be in a monastery? To me, it seems to heavily accentuate the Ti/Fi functions (and especially Fi), and give less opportunity to use Se/Ne depending on how much one remains in isolation.

Se/Ne both need a constant flow of exterior information in order to function. But monks generally get their flow internally. (There's a reason that INxJ's are tied to "mysticism" and the monastic lifestyle.)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Another important question: What is it like to be in a monastery? To me, it seems to heavily accentuate the Ti/Fi functions (and especially Fi), and give less opportunity to use Se/Ne depending on how much one remains in isolation.

Se/Ne both need a constant flow of exterior information in order to function. But monks generally get their flow internally. (There's a reason that INxJ's are tied to "mysticism" and the monastic lifestyle.)

Types of community vary very widely, from the cloistered-away Carthusians and silent orders, to the peripatetic and exuberant Franciscans, who are very much involved in activities not only outside their community, but also hosting them within their walls as well. Also, even the ones that don't interact much with the outside world, still have intense and regular interaction with each other, inside the walls, and so there is considerable scope (and need) for difference of personality! :)

Anyway, back to the topic! :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought St. Francis was an ISFP.

Salvador Dali, maybe an ENFP?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dunno about Dali, but you have got to be kidding about SF being an S! :shock:

Now that you mention it, I think I have to agree with you, based on my own personal research -- most sources, though, such as Type Talk label him as an ISFP.

I really gotta stop reading Keirsey...to him, all artists are ISFPs.

I personally think Steven Spielberg is an ENFP, as well -- I've talked to people who have met him, and they say he's got a wild imagination.

Ingmar Bergman, INFP

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, ENFP

L. Frank Baum, INFP

Pablo Picasso, ENFP

Michaelangelo, ENFP

Oscar Wilde, ENFP

Helen Keller, INFP (She couldn't possibly be a Sensor because she couldn't sense much of anything!)

Stephen King, INFP

Charles Manson, ENFP

And as far as I'm concerned, I think most of the religious leaders are SJs.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, and I forgot:

Santa Claus, ENFP

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Michaelangelo an ENFP?

May be..I dont know much about his biography other than that he was very solitary and a morose individual..he didnt have this ..active...larger than life--upbeat force that dwells in most ENFPs...

And Santa Claus..doesnt he resemble more a conventional drone rather than a naive bliss seeking venturer with chief concern of bringing paradise to Earth?

Kierkegaard-INFP
Virgil-INFP
Dante-INFJ
Schopenhauer-INFJ
Dostoevksy-INFJ
Tolstoy-ENFP
Pushkin-ENFP
Turgenev-ENFJ
Simone De Beauvoir-INFJ
Plato-INFJ
Wittgenstein-INFJ
Shakespeare-INFP
Augustine-INFP
Aquinas-INFJ

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
In light of my avatar, I would say:

Edvard Munch - INFP

also:

Vincent Van Gogh - INFP

Andy Warhol - XNFP?

Marcel Proust - INFP

Virgina Woolf - INFX

William Faulkner - INFP

Thomas Mann - INFP

George Harrison - INFP

John Lennon - ENFP

William Blake - INFP

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would've thought John Lennon was an INTP.

Meursault

(From Bluewing)
Kierkegaard-INFP Yep:party2:
Virgil-INFP No Opinion
Dante-INFJ
Schopenhauer-INFJ
Dostoevksy-INFJ
Tolstoy-ENFP
Pushkin-ENFP
Turgenev-ENFJ
Simone De Beauvoir-INFJ
Plato-INFJ What makes you think Plato was an "I" or a "J"?
Wittgenstein-INFJ
Shakespeare-INFP Which Shakespeare are you think of? Surely not that illiterate actor who gave his name to the works, but could barely sign his own name? That fellow was certainly an "E"...but Edward de Vere, the Earl of Oxford, and Marlowe may have been INFPs
Augustine-INFP
Aquinas-INFJ

Why have you assigned all the analytics a "J"? Wittgenstein didn't seem very anal "J" to me, in fact the Tractatus, seems to be a whole slap in the face to all the anal "J"-ness of Russell.

I think you'll find more famous INFPs in literature and hermitages than anywhere else:
Camus-INFP
E. M. Forester--INFP
The Venerable Bede--INFP
Issac Newton--INFP
Ingrid Bergman--INFP
The reclusive former female singer from ABBA, forget her name. (But pretty much any Swede will be either INTP, INFP, or INFJ...paradise...sigh...)

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Most writers seem to be INFP... when reading a book I always feel like I see things the same way as the author.

Cervantes (Don Quixote) seems like an INFP to me

Jack Kerouac seems INFP

George Harrison seems INFP as well...

Ringo Starr seems like maybe a ENFP, he is definately an extravert, he has said he can not play drums unless he is playing and interacting with other people.

What do you guys think about Bob Dylan? I think hes probably ISFP or INFP...

For some reason B.B. King seems INFP to me... I don't know him well, but he has a great optimism to him and he also has strong morals.

paradox

MBTI Type
ENFP
Lewis Grizzard - ENFP
Thomas Jefferson - ENFP
Alexander Hamilton - ENFP

A lot of prolific writers I would think are ENFP's who have learned to stay on task or INFP's

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
I can't see Jefferson as an E. From what I learned in US History, he was a quiet writer.