• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFP with ISTJ co-worker = PAIN

eternitybc

I work with an ISTJ. She is my boss--we do not get along *at all.* I just put in my notice of resignation today... woohoo! FREEDOM

Congrats!!! I'm envious :) Unfortunately I have a hefty mortgage and my partner doesn't want me to quit without having something else lined up first. Sigh- practicalities :)

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Most people leave bad managers, not bad jobs.

I hate anyone who tries to micromanage. A good manager should have clear expectations of you and a firm deadline for completing work and not change them, and not breathe down your throat while you try to complete your tasks.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Why do people end up complaining about a type rather than an individual? It kind of seems like MBTI is being used to complain about behaviours rather than understanding them. I wonder what Myers Briggs would say (Then again she was an INFP married to an ISTJ....soooo)

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I have an ESTJ boss right now, and it's hell.

Or, to pacify the last poster, I have a boss right now. She happens to be an ESTJ. And the situation is hell.

Constant micromanaging. Gets on my ass about everything. Worse, she changes the rules about how things are done constantly. I just want to tell her to give me my damned assignments and leave me alone. The constant micromanaging has the unfortunate effect for everybody of making me not do work.

/does not play well with others sometimes

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have an ISTJ boss who’s painful to answer to and an ISTJ employee who tries to micromanage my other employees, it certainly get's fun at times :rolleyes:

This may help you understand where they're coming from.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
3. Not letting me do my job. This is kind of hard to explain. I used to just DO my work, no he required I detail everything out and asks the status of things and where i"m at- Constantly. Whereas my Manager will say - where are we at, when will it be done? I can say I've done this and this, I'll have it done by Friday. No, this guy needs to know what steps are left, when I'm doign them, how I'm doign them, etc etc. It's like he doesn't trust me??

if u really do as good of a job as u say u do, then obviously the guy is scared, so he tries to micromanage u for two reasons:

1) he's scared of seeming like u would do a better job than him
2) he wants to make sure u "stay in your place" and don't try to outflank him.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Dude, I feel your pain and must therefore add to it. The tension between you guys is probably 40% sexual.

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Had an ISTJ boss in the past. Lasted half a year there, and then quit the job. I liked the actual job and everyone else seemed to be pleased with my work. The constant micromanaging by my boss got on my nerves. Had the same scenario of being told what to say when on the telephone. I thought I'd lose my own brain if I stayed there any longer. Not good being told what to speak, what to wear, what time to go to the toilet, what angle to place your chair, how many specks of pepper to put on your food (Ok, I exaggerate, but only slightly...)

The relief I felt after I handed my resignation in..

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
sometimes it bothers me when people in authority or in a job that i hate love what they are doing...then i realize this and slap myself for my selfishness lol

BlownAway

MBTI Type
ENFP
HELP! I hate my job. Well, for several reasons - one being that it's in IT (INFP as a systems analyst? No brainer why I dislike it).

What makes it UNbearable is a co-worker, who's ISTJ. Now, he was promoted to "Team Lead" over a year ago (my team lead). But I hate working with him. I feel like I'm just being a stubborn child who doesn't like being told what to do, but he just rubs me the wrong way. Constantly!

QUOTE]

I feel with you!! I'm in the exact same situation (though working as a recruiter, but I've been a system analyst too and hated it!!!). My teamleader now is an ISTJ (yes, we did MBTI at work) and just like you describe, I feel like a rebellious child! And he is like a parent keeping track of every tiny little thing I do. He just explodes about every detail, last week he freaked out because I was 4 minutes late in the morning!! One thing that I just don't understand..why is it always XSTJ:s that become teamleaders?? Good leadership is not about controlling coworkers, when will people understand that??

I will stop whining now ;), but thanks for this thread and the opportunity to do so! I hope you will find a solution on how to work with your ISTJ teamlead :). I just try to ignore mine..I manage to do so sometimes...

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
One of the things you need to do (is if you think you're right and he's wrong) is to try your best to reason with him- and explain why your way works better logically rather than blowing up at him or saying nothing.
I hate generalizing things with types but those who prefer T over F probably will listen to a logical argument.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
My best friend (INFP) has an ISTJ girlfriend and they are very compatible. She's a real couch potato for an ISTJ though. Just throwin it out there.