• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] To INFJs - how do you feel after you door slam someone?

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When it comes to cutting someone out of my life, I have my hesitations. The hesitations are less present if I'm not as close to the person involved. If that person was draining to me, once I finally do, it's like a load lifted off my shoulders. It's a sense of relief that I can move on with my life without that person renting space in my head. Especially if the person overstepped boundaries or was big on guilttripping. I know, insensitive as carrots but not everyone is a compatible personality. I have other friends and while I know it's a hurtful thing to do, sometimes it's time to burn the bridge on certain friendships.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A complete door slamming is something that I reserve for very very specific occasions. There has to be very specific things done to get me to that point. I'm more likely to slightly pull back from the relationship so I can process my own emotions and reevaluate the situation. So, if I'm at the point where I'm door slamming someone, then it's like a weight has been lifted.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I once broke up with a guy. I was relieved to be free of him. I did not miss him, but was a little concerned because he's been suicidal before, and I don't want to be responsible for someone taking their life. He didn't do it, which is good.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Assuming "doorslam" is particular to INFJs (which im not sure it is)... The few times Ive done it to someone its been a final straw kinda thing, to avoid an extremely painful situation/emotional state. So afterwards I felt pretty good, and certainly no guilt, since the other person bears responsibility for that ill feeling. Id much rather be alone than in situations which cause me deep distress.

LenaOnTheMoon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Half a year ago I had to door-slam three girls (let’s call them A, B and C) because they really got on my nerves… I felt under-appreciated at times in their presence because I kept getting talked over. Also they didn’t understand why I was so”weird” (their words, not mine). Every time I say something, they laugh about it or dismiss it like it was a joke, but it’s not. Time after time I excused their behavior, but when the negative energy started piling up, I knew that I had to go back. To the part of my life before them. Back when everything made sense in my view. But a subconscious part of me didn’t want to let go, so I stayed. Even when A told my secrets to other classmates and teamed up with some jerky boys in my class to lie to me about something close to my heart. Even when B laughed at me for utterly failing in winning a guy’s heart. Even when C showed inauthenticity (even though, for the most part, she’d been nicer than the other two).

The last straw that broke the camel was when I was writing a poem in my classroom just before an exam. I don’t know what came over me. I just had to get that poem out, even though I didn’t know what I wanted to write about. I just let my heart guide me through the darkness. After finishing the poem I read it. And reread it. And you know what? Every word in there was a way of saying, I’m done with the friendship. Done with hiding in the shadows. Done with being judged for who I truly am. None of you understand what‘s in my soul and no one bothered trying. I want out.

It was like Hannah Baker’s monologue: “Some of you cared. None of you cared enough.” Sure, there were some beautiful memories shared with them. When the entire grade was clapping in the hallways, they were there, too. When I sang to them they listened in rapture. But the majority of this friendship had been me trying to fit in, to adjust to their pace of speech, to agree with their opinions though my heart sang a different song. For the record I did try. I even told them a few personal things about myself hoping to connect with them better. But it was like building a sandcastle where the waves would tear it apart. Useless.

So I cut the strings, took another path and never turned back.

At first it felt lonely, because I was so used to eating lunch and dinner with them in the cafeteria that it broke my heart to be alone. To listen to my heartbeat when everyone around me was chattering. To wander through the crowd without a hand to hold. But soon the silence became more bearable and I made new friends who quickly replaced them. But this time I was wiser in choosing friends who accepted me for myself.

Later on I learned that A had been talking about me behind my back while we’d been chummy. It’s awful that all this time I never saw it coming, that I ever thought she could be trusted. I can’t believe I misjudged someone’s character to this extent. Now I forgive her, I guess. Because that’s how she is, and there must be a reason for the way she acted. Maybe she was unhappy at home or she was insecure and jealous, I’m not sure. All I know is I don’t want to get involved in her craziness again.

Overall, I guess I felt bad for the door-slam at first, but after a while I was okay with it. Sometimes in life you need to cut out the toxic people who are constantly feeding off bad energy.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Half a year ago I had to door-slam three girls (let’s call them A, B and C) because they really got on my nerves… I felt under-appreciated at times in their presence because I kept getting talked over. Also they didn’t understand why I was so”weird” (their words, not mine). Every time I say something, they laugh about it or dismiss it like it was a joke, but it’s not. Time after time I excused their behavior, but when the negative energy started piling up, I knew that I had to go back. To the part of my life before them. Back when everything made sense in my view. But a subconscious part of me didn’t want to let go, so I stayed. Even when A told my secrets to other classmates and teamed up with some jerky boys in my class to lie to me about something close to my heart. Even when B laughed at me for utterly failing in winning a guy’s heart. Even when C showed inauthenticity (even though, for the most part, she’d been nicer than the other two).

The last straw that broke the camel was when I was writing a poem in my classroom just before an exam. I don’t know what came over me. I just had to get that poem out, even though I didn’t know what I wanted to write about. I just let my heart guide me through the darkness. After finishing the poem I read it. And reread it. And you know what? Every word in there was a way of saying, I’m done with the friendship. Done with hiding in the shadows. Done with being judged for who I truly am. None of you understand what‘s in my soul and no one bothered trying. I want out.

It was like Hannah Baker’s monologue: “Some of you cared. None of you cared enough.” Sure, there were some beautiful memories shared with them. When the entire grade was clapping in the hallways, they were there, too. When I sang to them they listened in rapture. But the majority of this friendship had been me trying to fit in, to adjust to their pace of speech, to agree with their opinions though my heart sang a different song. For the record I did try. I even told them a few personal things about myself hoping to connect with them better. But it was like building a sandcastle where the waves would tear it apart. Useless.

So I cut the strings, took another path and never turned back.

At first it felt lonely, because I was so used to eating lunch and dinner with them in the cafeteria that it broke my heart to be alone. To listen to my heartbeat when everyone around me was chattering. To wander through the crowd without a hand to hold. But soon the silence became more bearable and I made new friends who quickly replaced them. But this time I was wiser in choosing friends who accepted me for myself.

Later on I learned that A had been talking about me behind my back while we’d been chummy. It’s awful that all this time I never saw it coming, that I ever thought she could be trusted. I can’t believe I misjudged someone’s character to this extent. Now I forgive her, I guess. Because that’s how she is, and there must be a reason for the way she acted. Maybe she was unhappy at home or she was insecure and jealous, I’m not sure. All I know is I don’t want to get involved in her craziness again.

Overall, I guess I felt bad for the door-slam at first, but after a while I was okay with it. Sometimes in life you need to cut out the toxic people who are constantly feeding off bad energy.
Hello and welcome. ^_^
diving right in with a question: What would have precluded you from just being yourself, but still maintaining the friendship? I of course lack deeper context beyond what you've written here, I suppose I'm just wondering why you couldnt both be yourself and remain friends? Ive had my share where I had to do what you've done due to some shall we say, heartbreaking things, but I'm always curious why people choose to pick one thing when it seems possible to have chosen two or more things...

Charm

MBTI Type
ENTP
(edited)
switch on the rainbow backlighting of the (INFJ's preferred) trashy RGB-encrusted keyboard. look into the glossy screen as the gaudy aesthetic stains their irises the color of nonbinary polyamory and hit up the other side-piece? ... I remember when I realized I wasn't one of you heh. btw, I've missed this place. or should I go back to intp.live lol. don't answer that.

Last edited:

Decker

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In recent times i have decided to become as logical as i can be following certain paths and decisions made by me. My "doorslams" can be described like this:
I simply ignore the person's existence until i notice that doing so would hurt the individual in question, but even still i will try to be as minimal as possible during the interaction. And another aspect of it is that when i do doorslam someone i do it carefully so as to not let them notice. All i feel about it is how much i may be hurting the other person.
Such individuals i'm talking about are friends from many many years ago whom i made following the so called "INFJ God Complex". I am mostly fine being by myself but if i end up getting closer to someone such as a friend i can end up showing my open side, which makes them uncertain and possibly even confused.

tl;dr my "doorslam" is me ignoring the existence of the person in question, but if i risk hurting the individual i interact with them as minimally as i can. I try to do it stealthily so as to not let them notice. The only thing i feel when doing it is how much i risk hurting the other person.