User Tag List

123 Last

Default Do you like people? lol

As individuals? As a collective? At all? I'm posting this in the NF sub forum but my inquiry is posed to everyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I struggle somewhat with this.

I think humanity's potential (especially on an individual level) is towering and awe inspiring and that is what personally motivates me in my daily interactions; but how many jilted ex-lovers have been fleeced and left for broke on the back of their paramours' alleged "potential?" When is "enough, enough (not in the taken to its most logical conclusion, eventually suicidal/genocidal sense, but philosophically speaking)?" Moreover, what percentage of us do you think is actually worth saving/fighting for? lol I kid, but not really...answer that.

Many days I honestly can't help but think, "just throw the whole damn thing in the trash." Other days, "just cut off the moldy parts and the remainder should be OK." And every once in a while, usually due to some singular, seemingly "lone" act of decency/grace/tenacity/brilliance/beauty, I'll think, "hmm...perhaps we're not just a bunch of scummy, soul scavenging dumpster rats after all."

I routinely deal across all social classes, intellects, nations, creeds, colors, genders, everybody, and witness firsthand how our systemic propensity for absolute gutter sniping bridges the gap. But, to be fair, our ability to do great good (read: life/consciousness/health affirming in a positivist, humanistic sense) is also a uniting commonality among our species--I'm just unsure as to how often this actually happens and what that says about us in an "are we salvageable and worth the effort?" sense.

Bonus question: How common is a disenchanted, cynical, nihilistic worldview among "feeling (and particularly, NF)" types? lol Duh, I like the potential of what we could be a helluva lot more than the actuality/reality; In my actions, I've committed myself to turning some of these potentials into realities but I feel a little guilty, fraudulent and defective, even, that this doesn't come from a well spring of unimpeachable optimism, idealism and warmth towards the very beings I seek to "improve." I do it because I think it's the best thing to do, from a practical standpoint (in optimizing and bettering our overall life quality), but my "heart" seems...rather darkened, despondent and misanthropic. I accept this about myself but I don't think I like it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    Meh None

You know honestly growing up I tested as an INFJ then I slowly turned into an INFP but that was fine. Natural even. But, then crap hit the fan. I lost everything. I eventually started to take all of my emotions and feelings out of my body and see if they were even real. I now treat my emotions and most thoughts as experiments and toys that I can play with when I get bored. Then and sorta now I treat people the same way often. I wanted to unite the world too. But, now I want to see it all burn. Part of me wishes I could turn back to the way things used to be. But, unlike where you seem to headed towards, I seem to be gravitating towards accepting my 'darkened heart' as the way.
    Likes Digital Lion liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Are you a misanthrope? Come on, step right up!

MBTI
    INFJ

i like *some* people. i do not care about of most people.
    Likes Lady Lazarus, Digital Lion liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Lol...No.
    Likes Starry, Digital Lion liked this post

Not anymore.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    This, 1000%.

Honestly, I'm so in my head most of the time, I don't even notice most people, and even then I have a neutral/slightly favorable stance regarding them. It takes a lot for me to actually dislike someone -- I can't think of one person off the top of my head that I actually don't see any redeeming qualities in, enough to say I dislike them.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

I like humans in general. Honestly, most people I encounter are totally fine. Sometimes specific people get on my nerves or irritate me or just plain do horrible things to anyone or anything. But I don't think that's enough to say I don't like people because there are so many billions of humans. There's no way to lump them all together definitively. But I find that I can find the good in mostly everyone, so that is a big part of why I say I like people.

Potential is My Addiction Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Hmm...you posed quite a few heavy questions @Digital Lion, and on one hand I could say tons about what i think of people and in the ways you've described, the sorts of internal quandaries you bring up, but on the other, it's all really kind of "simple" to me in how I view or understand others. To keep this post as short and sweet as possible (watch this post turn into 10 pages of stuff) I will say that in general, I think it's a common thing for people to initially experience humanity, or people at a smaller scale, more idealistically, more romanticized. You know, when you're younger, you're still relatively sheltered from life and the experiences you could possibly live through, and the sorts of people you may run into might be fairly limited. But then a shift happens as you age and mature. You start to see the world for what it is, and what your idealized version is, and start comparing how the two differ. One would hope that all of humanity is pure and good, or that light will overcome all shadows, but you're faced with this harsh reality instead, put through trials and lessons that can leave all but the most optimistic, and let's be honest, those in denial, in sort of a tailspin initially of trying to make sense of it all. And it's in this period, I feel that people will find themselves on an edge, staring at humanity in one way or another. Based on who they've become at that point, the experiences and people they've gone through and met, what their dreams and idealisms are, all of that comes to this point, where things are then weighed and judged. But certainly this doesn't literally happen in one singular moment, but a feel people experience this sort of reckoning period over oh...let's just say within their 20's is when they might face this, and then it is more or less decided, is humanity decent? can it be saved? should it be saved? I feel at this point, once that general perspective is chosen, you then start to see the world through that narrowed lens. It's no longer "the world is your oyster", but it's not in a pessimistic sense either. It's a semi conscious and...level of maturity that overtakes that child-like perspective. But, people are always changing and growing so I wouldn't suggest these are definitive perspectives, but a generalized stance on humanity, that then shapes and flexes as you age and gain more experience. You come out in the end, a "victim", a "fighter", a "pacifist", eh, you get the point. You come out of this reckoning period with a general understanding of what humanity is, to you.

How do I personally see humanity? I think it's perfectly fine, in all its flaws and rays of beauty. As in life, humanity faces its ups and downs, and it's a system, a sort of "entity" that I don't believe we can really change, or even should. Human events will occur, good and evil, but at our core, generally, what people's desires and needs are, I find to be quite universal, which means it is neither good or bad. You just got to go with the flow, accept the reality for what it is, but don't let it bog you down in moments of despair, for there will always be moments of sheer kindness to offset the moments of pure evil. It's all in a balance. It's because of this view, I also tend to feel sort of indifferent towards most people. They may energize, disappoint, and sometimes downright confuse the hell out of me, but reflecting back on those universal, core, human desires and aspirations, I see people's actions, good or bad towards me, as reflections of those core motivators in a direct, contextual relationship to the immediate and long-term world around them.

Well...ok, so this post ended up being another long-ass mofo Dreamer post, but at least it ain't 10-pages long
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer