• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do you like people? lol

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The gals at Starbucks told me they deal with assholes all the time. I asked them how anyone could be a dick when ordering a coffee drink. What is there to be a dick about? Apparently a lot.

I used to be a barista and you'd be shocked at how many people are on a power trip with something as trite as how you make their coffee drink, or just treat you like garbage because you're a mere server and they think they're important.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If ever there is a moment to incline towards politeness..... one would think that employing it when someone is going to manhandle foodstuffs that you’re subsequently going to shove in your mouth that that would be it.

I tend to think the best of people when I meet them, and then crumble to annoyance when they inevitably disappoint my expectations.

Sometimes I begin with cynicism and feel despair when it’s richly rewarded.

Recent example was having to do a group project..... for an online class. One guy refused to learn power point because it’s just too difficult. Another thought that copying a list of symptoms directly from the DSM-5 = writing a paper. And another girl didn’t see her name on the list and assumed she didn’t need to write anything. Despite her name being in the list.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Thing is....I think everyone thinks they are the only one who notices people being arses and people being rude, intolerant, obnoxious, irritating, arrogant, narcissistic, status-obsessed, pretentious, sanctimonious, bullying, loud, overly verbose without decent content, prone to murderous acts of rage and destruction, authoritarian 'rules lawyers', self-interested to a fault etc....

Unfortunately, given the sheer number of people around, it's very difficult not to be some of those things to some of the people, some of the time. And it tends to go in a kind of contextual circle of influence, and without going into exhaustive detail there are always going to be people who are more intelligent and more skilled than yourself, just as you may be more skilled or more intelligent than others.

And generally speaking the less intelligent tend to irritate and annoy the more so.....(reiteration) generally speaking....although less intelligent people also get irritated with someone or something they don't understand.

So I'm not sure. I've got misanthropic tendencies, but how much of that is my own blindness to those traits I demonstrate? It's easy to be a cynic in the modern era, it's cheap and anyone who can inflect sarcastic tones in their speaking patterns can do it. Most people aren't informed in their cynicism, they're just annoyed...to the point they make being annoyed like a career and every situation is something to find an issue with in order to keep the image going.

Do I like people? In the general sense, I think not. The windows of interaction are too small, too varied and too surface level to get any kind of read beyond that split second dump of whatever neuroticism is bothering the average individual (however you measure that).

But in the individual sense, certainly...it's very difficult not to find one or two people who you find time to know. However even that can be an eye-opening let down. But with roughly 7.6 billion on the planet, the average chances of meeting the kinds of people that rub your contextual circle the wrong way goes up accordingly.

I generally do perceive people as being more and more in a rush to be somewhere or achieve something (in itself not a bad aim depending on what that is) at least in my country. Though there's a lot of status influence, to an unhealthy degree; where the vocal and untrue always beats the measured and truthful to the punch. There seems to be a requirement to take a good, long look at each other and ourselves and wonder what it is we are actually aiming for with our desperate behaviour.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I generally regard people with favor, even the rare people I don't regard with favor.

ASophisticatedZebra

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
POS
As individuals? As a collective? At all? I'm posting this in the NF sub forum but my inquiry is posed to everyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I struggle somewhat with this.

I think humanity's potential (especially on an individual level) is towering and awe inspiring and that is what personally motivates me in my daily interactions; but how many jilted ex-lovers have been fleeced and left for broke on the back of their paramours' alleged "potential?" When is "enough, enough (not in the taken to its most logical conclusion, eventually suicidal/genocidal sense, but philosophically speaking)?" Moreover, what percentage of us do you think is actually worth saving/fighting for? lol I kid, but not really...answer that.

Many days I honestly can't help but think, "just throw the whole damn thing in the trash." Other days, "just cut off the moldy parts and the remainder should be OK." And every once in a while, usually due to some singular, seemingly "lone" act of decency/grace/tenacity/brilliance/beauty, I'll think, "hmm...perhaps we're not just a bunch of scummy, soul scavenging dumpster rats after all."

I routinely deal across all social classes, intellects, nations, creeds, colors, genders, everybody, and witness firsthand how our systemic propensity for absolute gutter sniping bridges the gap. But, to be fair, our ability to do great good (read: life/consciousness/health affirming in a positivist, humanistic sense) is also a uniting commonality among our species--I'm just unsure as to how often this actually happens and what that says about us in an "are we salvageable and worth the effort?" sense.

Bonus question: How common is a disenchanted, cynical, nihilistic worldview among "feeling (and particularly, NF)" types? lol Duh, I like the potential of what we could be a helluva lot more than the actuality/reality; In my actions, I've committed myself to turning some of these potentials into realities but I feel a little guilty, fraudulent and defective, even, that this doesn't come from a well spring of unimpeachable optimism, idealism and warmth towards the very beings I seek to "improve." I do it because I think it's the best thing to do, from a practical standpoint (in optimizing and bettering our overall life quality), but my "heart" seems...rather darkened, despondent and misanthropic. I accept this about myself but I don't think I like it.

I love people, just not enough to pretend like I enjoy them all. Energy is valuable, I rarely see things as mutual.

To the rest of the questions, I'll answer with a question.

WHY DOES IT MATTER, you will never know & the very idea that you might decide one way or another in your mind - will Not facilitate nourishment.

The worlds good, it's bad, bla bla - it has nothing to do with you: it does not require your praise or condemnation. It will simply remain to be regardless, just sit back and enjoy the beauty.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Vibe of this thread:

Transcript:

[FONT=&quot]"Hi, Elliot Rodger here. Well, this is my last video. It all has to come to this. Tomorrow is the day of retribution, the day I will have my revenge against humanity, against all of you.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"For the last eight years of my life, since I hit puberty, I've been forced to endure an existence of loneliness, rejection and unfulfilled desires, all because girls have never been attracted to me. Girls gave their affection and sex and love to other men, never to me.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"I'm 22 years old and still a virgin, never even kissed a girl. And through college, 2 1/2 years, more than that actually, I'm still a virgin. It has been very torturous.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"College is the time when everyone experiences those things such as sex and fun and pleasure. In those years I've had to rot in loneliness, it's not fair.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"You girls have never been attracted to me. I don't know why you girls aren't attracted to me but I will punish you all for it. It's an injustice, a crime because I don't know what you don't see in me, I'm the perfect guy and yet you throw yourselves at all these obnoxious men instead of me, the supreme gentleman. I will punish all of you for it. [laughs]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"On the day of retribution, I am going to enter the hottest sorority house at UCSB and I will slaughter every single spoiled, stuck-up, blond slut I see inside there. All those girls I've desired so much. They have all rejected me and looked down on me as an inferior man if I ever made a sexual advance toward them, while they throw themselves at these obnoxious brutes.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"I take great pleasure in slaughtering all of you., You will finally see that I am, in truth, the superior one, the true alpha male. [laughs] Yes, after I have annihilated every single girl in the sorority house, I'll take to the streets of Isla Vista and slay every single person I see there. All those popular kids who live such lives of hedonistic pleasure while I've had to rot in loneliness all these years. They all look down upon me every time I tried to join them, they've all treated me like a mouse.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Well, now I will be a god compared to you, you will all be animals, you are animals and I will slaughter you like animals. I'll be a god exacting my retribution on all those who deserve it and you do deserve it just for the crime of living a better life than me.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"The popular kids, you never accepted me and now you will all pay for it. Girls, all I ever wanted was to love you, be loved by you. I wanted a girlfriend. I wanted sex, love, affection, adoration.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"You think I'm unworthy of you. That's I crime I can never get over. If I can't have you girls, I will destroy you. [laughs] You denied me a happy life and in turn I will deny all of you life, it's only fair. I hate all of you.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Humanity is a disgusting, wretched, depraved species. If I had it in my power I would stop at nothing to reduce every single one of you to mountains of skulls and rivers of blood and rightfully so. You deserve to be annihilated and I will give that to you. You never showed me any mercy so I will show you none. [laughs]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"You forced me to suffer all my life, now I will make you all suffer. I waited a long time for this. I'll give you exactly what you deserve, all of you. All you girls who rejected me, looked down upon me, you know, treated me like scum while you gave yourselves to other men. And all of you men for living a better life than me, all of you sexually active men. I hate you. I hate all of you. I can't wait to give you exactly what you deserve, annihilation."

[/FONT]

ASophisticatedZebra

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
POS
Vibe of this thread:

Transcript:

[FONT="][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Georgia]"Hi, Elliot Rodger here. Well, this is my last video. It all has to come to this. Tomorrow is the day of retribution, the day I will have my revenge against humanity, against all of you.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]"For the last eight years of my life, since I hit puberty, I've been forced to endure an existence of loneliness, rejection and unfulfilled desires, all because girls have never been attracted to me. Girls gave their affection and sex and love to other men, never to me.

[/FONT]

[FONT="][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Georgia]"I'm 22 years old and still a virgin, never even kissed a girl. And through college, 2 1/2 years, more than that actually, I'm still a virgin. It has been very torturous.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]"College is the time when everyone experiences those things such as sex and fun and pleasure. In those years I've had to rot in loneliness, it's not fair.

[/FONT]

[FONT="][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Georgia]"You girls have never been attracted to me. I don't know why you girls aren't attracted to me but I will punish you all for it. It's an injustice, a crime because I don't know what you don't see in me, I'm the perfect guy and yet you throw yourselves at all these obnoxious men instead of me, the supreme gentleman. I will punish all of you for it. [laughs]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]"On the day of retribution, I am going to enter the hottest sorority house at UCSB and I will slaughter every single spoiled, stuck-up, blond slut I see inside there. All those girls I've desired so much. They have all rejected me and looked down on me as an inferior man if I ever made a sexual advance toward them, while they throw themselves at these obnoxious brutes.

[/FONT]

[FONT="][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Georgia]"I take great pleasure in slaughtering all of you., You will finally see that I am, in truth, the superior one, the true alpha male. [laughs] Yes, after I have annihilated every single girl in the sorority house, I'll take to the streets of Isla Vista and slay every single person I see there. All those popular kids who live such lives of hedonistic pleasure while I've had to rot in loneliness all these years. They all look down upon me every time I tried to join them, they've all treated me like a mouse.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]"Well, now I will be a god compared to you, you will all be animals, you are animals and I will slaughter you like animals. I'll be a god exacting my retribution on all those who deserve it and you do deserve it just for the crime of living a better life than me.

[/FONT]

[FONT="][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Georgia]"The popular kids, you never accepted me and now you will all pay for it. Girls, all I ever wanted was to love you, be loved by you. I wanted a girlfriend. I wanted sex, love, affection, adoration.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]"You think I'm unworthy of you. That's I crime I can never get over. If I can't have you girls, I will destroy you. [laughs] You denied me a happy life and in turn I will deny all of you life, it's only fair. I hate all of you.

[/FONT]

[FONT="][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Georgia]"Humanity is a disgusting, wretched, depraved species. If I had it in my power I would stop at nothing to reduce every single one of you to mountains of skulls and rivers of blood and rightfully so. You deserve to be annihilated and I will give that to you. You never showed me any mercy so I will show you none. [laughs]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT="]"You forced me to suffer all my life, now I will make you all suffer. I waited a long time for this. I'll give you exactly what you deserve, all of you. All you girls who rejected me, looked down upon me, you know, treated me like scum while you gave yourselves to other men. And all of you men for living a better life than me, all of you sexually active men. I hate you. I hate all of you. I can't wait to give you exactly what you deserve, annihilation."

[/FONT]

View attachment 19820

Tater

2% of humans are fundamentally broken and fuck things up far more than they fix things.
30% of humans are decent enough and at least somewhat respectable.

68% of humans are actually lemmings.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think any type can struggle with these kind of questions, but moreso I think an NF may sit on them as people who think deeply about emotions and ideals. I see so much potential in humanity that goes wasted which actually angers me (and here comes that core E1 to slap yall! XD) but its very easy to forget the world can be a good place. Life is what you make it, be the light you want to see in the world. Plant the seeds and those who are listening will follow.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will say simply this and end my participation on this topic, a lot of the "world" and "people" a lot of it comes from your head.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I like some people. I have family and friends whom I like. Humanity as a whole though? Nah.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Humans. In general they fascinate me. But I can probably be summed up pretty well with: "Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins.
main-qimg-b19790af0f392cd0bf0950ec43f75c78-c

Breathing

Certain individuals are interesting. I don't really care about the future or state of humanity because it drains me to care (and mostly doesn't interest me). I'm disappointed by what I've seen and experienced from a lot of people. I'm not the type of person to be involved in my community and don't feel at home in a group either. So, I don't feel a part of something bigger than myself, like humanity as a whole, and combining this feeling with my disinterest and disappointment just makes me prefer to look out for myself, expect others to do the same and not bother me, and to collect people who I personally think are of great quality and create my own world with them in it. Other people can destroy and irritate themselves and others outside of my group.

I think all NFs are prone to seeing how people could be better than they are, or ever will be, but become hardened over time through repeated disappointments and others misunderstanding our point of view. I'm guessing quite a few SFs probably think and feel a similar way (though the SFJs I know seem to try and stay away from misanthropic thinking). Tbh it kind of shocks me that you talk about being so involved with people (not in a bad way, I'm just so cynical at this point and listen to my own thoughts all day that it's hard to believe anyone out there is actually trying/has tried to contribute to improving people lol).

Last edited:

AdmiralAndGirlsDesu

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've gotten along in the deepest sense with only a few people, most people, from my experience, either don't have the capacity, don't bother, or lack the capacity nor bother with understanding many things beyond a very superficial level. They seem to be content living on the surface out of choice. A lot of it is fear. They fear that if they didn't have all these things to keep them busy, that if they actually had time to contemplate many things, they'd eventually come to the conclusion that most things in life are.... in one way or another, meaningless. The quest for socially "prestigious" forms of success such as wealth, power, status etc. do not bring genuine happiness, and often come at destructive costs. We put on too many masks and facades to deceive ourselves and each other, that in the end it all becomes one big game that people are trapped in, yet are too afraid and too ignorant to look outside. Sure I can maintain a basic level of courtesy, I can talk about video games, pop music etc., but these subjects are not the ones I'd have ultimately fulfilling conversations in. My low to zero tolerance for gossip is one of the reasons why I have trouble relating to most people. I've also come to the conclusion that in this mess of a world, most people simply do not care about the depths of my heart / mind / soul because knowing it would not result in any practical value (as defined by money and "prestige") and perhaps even cause lots of discomfort to be confronted by someone that actually tries to go more deeply, someone that is NOT satisfied being fed a bunch of lies and half-truths.

I have often wondered whether I would trade my insight and ability to understand for a much simpler and down-to-earth form of happiness. I don't know, perhaps I would. If I were living in a better world with a better state of things (as envisioned by my Fi), I would have much less of a need, perhaps no need at all to contemplate so much. I am sure that even in the modern world, there are still some people who are perfectly fine, perfectly happy not going so deep, it's because they don't need to (ex: people living in small, closely knit communities or some other non-mainstream arrangement) and it would be selfish to challenge their simplicity and ask them to adopt more "sophistication." However, back in the "mainstream" world, many people are actually miserable or deeply unsatisfied with their lives, yet are too afraid to confront the reality of their unhappiness. They try to build defenses and conceal it to the greatest extent possible, while thinking that they can get away with it. It deeply pains me when I try to help someone and sympathize with their existential angst, I'm often rejected because they think I'm too young, too naive etc. to understand them, that I have no right to even TRY. On my end, I also have a tendency to "overestimate" the extent of people's unhappiness, thinking it to be someone having an existential crisis when fact is it's something much simpler and temporary. In that case, I often feel.... somewhat disappointed.

Regarding my feelings for humanity as a whole, it wavers between compassion, indifference, and detest. That's how I truly feel. If I were to assign percentages, I'd say compassion would take up 55-60%, with the other two equally divided.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like people in small quantities but I'm not a people person. I like spending time with then but then enough is enough and I need space. Some people would get the impression I didn't like people as a whole, the way I act when I've had enough but it's not true even if it appears to be the case.

There are also certain types of people who I have less tolerance for others. It's rare that I find someone who I would spend a lot of time with and when I do, those people make valuable friends.What I mean is I'm not particularly good with people or at least, new people. I do think humans have a lot of potential for good but there is also a lot of evil lurking in us as well. I suppose it's more the individuals that get me tripped up.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
People are fascinating to psychoanalyze, and I enjoy making them laugh or sharing stimulating conversation. However, I am extremely critical of the incompetence of others and their frequently simple ways. That's okay though, just leaves me with fewer people to cultivate meaningful connections with, which is what I prefer because I don't like to feel obligated to others.

I suppose though that a healthy goal for me personally would be to ever-so-slightly broaden my horizons to curtail my hermit-y ways and prevent my heart from turning to stone.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm really not sure anymore, I'm pretty neutral. They're fun to think about and analyze but in the end, I think the only emotion I really feel towards people as a whole is fear.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like most people I meet. They fascinate me. I like to try and figure them out and find out their motives, inspirations, what drives them etc. I like helping people.
But I'm a very reserved and private person until I'm comfortable around you and too much social interaction burns me out and it can be an emotional overload. So I take them in small doses.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm indifferent to most people. I rarely like anyone tbh. This has always been a problem to me.