• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP Old Souls??

Izzybeef

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
72w3
I feel as though I have an old soul. I think we...or at least I get that impression because my values are more spiritual yet general...like I can sense the damage of contemporary concepts of moral/immoral...right/wrong. As an enfp we also have an easier time understanding people...so the intuition aspect may be taking effect there.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I find this topic intriguing. I originally wanted to reply. :)

I totally know what you mean. Stuff I knew that most kids wouldn't really know, because they haven't experienced it, nor did I, yet I would sit and think about, only to grow up to find out that it was true, convinced me that I was old soul too! It helped me in a way that I based my decisions most authentic to me, despite certain situations that would've otherwise made me another statistic. Brings inner-peace for me. :yes:

Oh, and I also consider myself more spiritual than religious.

phoenity

Wow, that description of "Old Souls" hits me pretty deep.

I've been described by a few people much older than me as having an "old soul". I never paid much attention to it or realized what they meant, but having read that I think I have a better understanding of what they may have seen in me.

I've also felt like I get along with people much older and mature than me, than I ever have with my peers. I feel like there's a lot more knowledge to gain from their experience in life, making the effort more worthwhile. Just to give you an idea, one of my best friends in the world is old enough to be my father.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Phoenity, me too.

I have friends of all ages, most of them, young at heart. A few older. Closest ones I would describe as self-actualized individuals.. they seem to be happy/at ease with who they are, conscientious. For some, may sound boring. For me, it's satisfying when I can bond with someone who 'gets it' in that way..

G

garbage

I keep getting told that I have an old soul, and it really feels that way at times.

How do we reconcile that with the silly switch? I guess it's one of those standard ENFP personality contradictions ;)

phoenity

Phoenity, me too.

I have friends of all ages, most of them, young at heart. A few older. Closest ones I would describe as self-actualized individuals.. they seem to be happy/at ease with who they are, conscientious. For some, may sound boring. For me, it's satisfying when I can bond with someone who 'gets it' in that way..

Yep I have friends of all ages and walks of life. Actual age is just a number that has never really had much relevancy to me. I'm more about a person's maturity and what's in their heart. That kind of wisdom is what I deeply, truly value. Sometimes, I come across people in life that just don't seem to have much in their heart, like they're lost. I can remember feeling that way throughout many periods of my life, especially during times of pain and suffering, and it makes me wish I could help them somehow.

:cheers:

S

Sniffles

Just on this forum alone people are surprised to find out I'm not 50 or over in age.

It seems I have a great ability to communicate and connect with people across the age spectrum.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Any old souls here, anyone :D? I'm sorry if this topic was done before. I know I have an old soul. It's hard for an old soul to live in a young soul world.

Interesting, did I already respond to this? I'm not an old soul, I don't feel like an old soul, and I have yet to meet anyone who has made me spontaneously think of this description. I'm not sure what it means.

I actually feel like quite a young soul, new, naive, still getting good use of my land legs, feeling the world is a somewhat alien but very big exciting place.

I know what it means to be youthful or to be serious or to be mature, but not sure what old soul means. I get "young at heart" and "young spirit" more.

However, I can imagine if you felt like an old soul the antics of the youth and being an old soul stuck in a young body could get on your nerves. :)

phoenity

I think the "old souls" are the ones who have experienced more emotional pain and disappointment all throughout their lives than their peers could ever imagine. During experiences of pain and suffering, you're required to examine and discover what's inside the deepest depths of yourself, and become stronger just to survive. In turn, it increases your passion for life and makes you appreciate everything, big or small, so much more.

When you come across people in life who've been through similar experiences, other "old souls", you don't have to ask, you just "know" because it pours out of who they are.

Here's a quote I found that says what I was trying to say:

“When we don’t turn away from pain, we open our hearts and are more able to connect to the best part of ourselves and others–because every human being knows pain. I’m not sure what enlightenment is, but I’m sure it has something to do with turning pain into love.”

G

garbage

I think the "old souls" are the ones who have experienced more emotional pain and disappointment all throughout their lives than their peers could ever imagine. During experiences of pain and suffering, you're required to examine and discover what's inside the deepest depths of yourself, and become stronger just to survive. In turn, it increases your passion for life and makes you appreciate everything, big or small, so much more.

This definitely makes sense to me. That combined with the NF's tendency to self-examine and search for meaning and identity anyway.. no wonder so many identify with this thread.

“When we don’t turn away from pain, we open our hearts and are more able to connect to the best part of ourselves and others–because every human being knows pain. I’m not sure what enlightenment is, but I’m sure it has something to do with turning pain into love.”

Very insightful quote, too.

phoenity

I was speaking from my own personal experiences, rather than something I had externally observed of people since I haven't done much of that in my life. So I don't think it applies solely to NFs, but I do see your point there.

Although, I'm fascinated that so many who've posted are ENFPs, and enneagram 4s, but it could also be the fact that the thread was aimed at them :)

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
I was speaking from my own personal experiences, rather than something I had externally observed of people since I haven't done much of that in my life. So I don't think it applies solely to NFs, but I do see your point there.

Although, I'm fascinated that so many who've posted are ENFPs, and enneagram 4s, but it could also be the fact that the thread was aimed at them :)

I should of titled it different :doh:. Thank you for speaking on your experiences. It's much appreciated :).

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
An old soul concealed in the youthful body.
True dat. :laugh: Funny. When I was younger, I felt like an old soul. Now that I'm older (with age), I feel younger, at heart.. (can't reverse the biological part). My youngness has its own limits, due to responsibilities. I know when to let my guard down.

Soleil, no worries. I understood the original question. Cool thread! :wubbie:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I have a distinct memory of feeling "old" when I was 5 years old.

But I can't connect with the ennui in this description.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't like to think of myself as an old soul.
I think it defeats and contradicts the definition of Old Soul to consider yourself one.

The beginning of wisdom is to admit that you know nothing.

I'll always be on adventures, learning new things, building wisdom, until the very day I die.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been told by several people, many of whom would say theya re psychic, that I am an old soul. Usually it goes something like this "Yes, you are an old soul. A very old soul"

I read in a book once about old souls supposedly being more slothful and not-externally -focused and less-involved in the world. I could maybe see the last tow of those, but I don't feel like the first one applies to me. Though again, I do do a lot of yoga and such, focusing on things like acquiring more chi and having a more powerful presence. I don't like that phrasing of "powerful presence", so let me go with this description, it'd be more like if most people have a 100 volt system, and your building a 10,000 volt system. People notice that difference

Frank

Um, yeah, I guess you can say I am an "old soul".

Older people have frequently called me out on this since I was a kid. :/

I can go on a freakishly long tangent right now on how and why this most likely is.

But that is something, interestingly enough, I don't feel too comfortable sharing, at this particular moment.

Well fuck, now I'm curious

Frank

I'm not sure if this has been answered because I skipped over alot of the thread. Where does this old soul stuff come from? Who writes it and why?