User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can an ISTP/INFJ relationship work out?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • The relationship can work with compromise.

9 90.00%
  • The relationship is doomed from the start.

1 10.00%
123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Exclamation Recipe for DISASTER? INFJ/ISTP

I (21F) am an ISTP and my partner is an INFJ (26M). He is currently a US Marine while I am a student pilot. According to MBTI compatibility, we are the worst possible match. On top of that, our careers prevent us from seeing or interacting with each other often. Our relationship, of course, is far from perfect. We fight sometimes and a few of these fights end up in near doorslams on his part due to my insensitivity and lack of appreciation towards his efforts to continually appease me. We also fought because I "never had time for him" and was always "too focused on my career". However since then we patched the gaps in our relationship and moved forward. He says I am "The One" and brings up the prospect of marriage on a very frequent basis.

Can an ISTP/INFJ relationship work out? Especially with career paths that conflict with the ability for us to take leave together?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You basicly wrote "I don't like my relationship but I need your validation to say that it couldn't work out for 100%, not just 80%. So you can feel good about breaking up with him" ... No breaking up feels good and right^_^

MBTI is not a good tool for explaining relationship dissatisfaction or predicting relationship success.
    Likes everdream liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP

That's an interesting interpretation, Kurono. But that's not the case. I think I just sound negative in general. Does anybody know why ISTP and INFJ are not deemed compatible or the worse match? I rarely seen posts concerning these two. It's almost always an ENFP woman with an INFJ man. Or an ISTP woman with ESFJ man. And these combinations are branded ideal, despite that my partner hates extroverts and he works around them a lot. I don't like extroverts either.
    An aircraft always take off against the wind, and not with it .

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Be an INFJ man is curse by itself.
    Life Path 4. True Neutral 8 1 6 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson
    ===Logical Crusader===

Dail [or Daer] ú-[o] chyn [or fyn/thyn] [?] Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Norexan View Post
    Geez, that's awfully helpful. Thank you!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid in grids View Post

MBTI is not a good tool for explaining relationship dissatisfaction or predicting relationship success.
    This.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
    Can an ISTP/INFJ relationship work out? Especially with career paths that conflict with the ability for us to take leave together?
    FWIW, I am an INFJ in a relationship with an ISTP. We also have careers that conflict with our ability to see each other often at the moment. We make it work and I would not say that we have any incompatibility as far as personality is concerned. On the contrary, I’m more compatible with him than anyone else I’ve been with, including types which according to “theory” I should be most compatible with (“theory” being stuff written by Typology amateurs on the internet extrapolating the the frameworks far beyond their use). I don’t think Typology can account for the issues you describe.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid in grids View Post
    FWIW, I am an INFJ in a relationship with an ISTP. We also have careers that conflict with our ability to see each other often at the moment. We make it work and I would not say that we have any incompatibility as far as personality is concerned. On the contrary, I’m more compatible with him than anyone else I’ve been with, including types which according to “theory” I should be most compatible with (“theory” being stuff written by Typology amateurs on the internet extrapolating the the frameworks far beyond their use). I don’t think Typology can account for the issues you describe.
    I'm glad to hear that you're doing well with your ISTP, Ingrid. Should have known that the pairings listed and suggested by Typology amateurs can be far from correct. However, I can relate and adhere to the ISTP description. It helps me understand myself better alone. Like you, my INFJ and I, despite fighting, felt a stronger connection than any previous experience we had with other MBTI types.

MBTI
    ISTP

Cliche saying here - with understanding, maturity and compromise it would be possible.

Like appreciating the dude and opening up etc might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Norexan View Post
    Lolz. I said something similar a while back. Didn't get that much heat thrown at me for it.

Why so much ESxx hate?

Any relationship is possible with maturity and compromise. However certain personalities would be more compatible than others. As an example - I can't see myself ever marrying a ENFP although I am undeniably attracted to them. But I know certain personalities that would be ideal for ENFPs.
    Likes Norexan liked this post