• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP's and Social Anxiety/Shyness...

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Was wondering if other ENFP's experience this? The thing with me is if I'm comfortable around my environment then all that shyness and anxiety is out the window, but if the energy isn't flowing I become extremely introverted and uncomfortable. It's weird because I would say I'm 50/50 in the extroversion/introversion department. The ENFP description suits me 100%, but I tend to become anxious in certain social settings.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
hrm, my E tested at 100%, so I can't relate at all. Good thread idea though.

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can relate. My E is slightly higher than my I. If the vibes aren't good I tend to leave the situation.

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yep. Same with me. I got 50% I and 50% E on the MBTI test, but it still said I was an extrovert.

I really think I have social anxiety and should probably get that checked out. But other times, I'm sooo opposite of that.

I can be really quiet and I REALLY daydream a lot when I'm like that. Other times, I'll be so loud and outgoing that it's ridiculous. I even talk to strangers on the street, which isn't always a good thing! :D But it's okay, haha.

But anyway, I get insanely nervous when I have to speak in a large group of people. I'd rather give a quart of blood or something, Lol! It's so noticeable.

Some people call me shy though. That's not true at all. I'm not shy, it's just that I don't know how to exactly react or say things at the moment so I get all jumbled and not respond too much. But after I get a strong reading of the person, wow, you won't be able to shut me up!

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
I generally test in the 80% range for extroversion, but I still feel the same way sometimes.

If it is especially cold atmosphere to me (i.e. public speaking by ME) I can really feel anxious. Cold sweats and everything. I have read that ENFP's are the most introverted like extroverts and the personal growth pages stress that we need time alone to stay on our paths.

Probably didn't help any, but ya, I feel you :hug:

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Was wondering if other ENFP's experience this? The thing with me is if I'm comfortable around my environment then all that shyness and anxiety is out the window, but if the energy isn't flowing I become extremely introverted and uncomfortable. It's weird because I would say I'm 50/50 in the extroversion/introversion department. The ENFP description suits me 100%, but I tend to become anxious in certain social settings.

I relate. I was even diagnosed with social anx in high school, and suspect I have some leftovers today. Basically, I become extremely self-conscious and get tense and awkward. On the other hand, during orchestra rehearsals or when chilling with interesting people (ie. energizing situations), all that does go out the window, like you said.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i relate 100%. ive said this on another thread (i forget how) but it is intuitive-in-a-sensor-environment-syndrome

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
Luvox (fluvoxamine) works wonders for SAD.
If you have a big problem, it can help. It will boost low Seritonin levels.
Works in myself, and my brother who has SAD, he takes 50mg luvox and 25 mg Zoloft a day, its like a party drug to him. Hes an INFP, and now hes very extroverted, and is in love with people for the first time.
That combo is the best meds for anxiety and NF's, I know because Ive tried them all!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Note: I'm not ENFP!

Luvox, eh? Alcohol works too, but it's not exactly the best all day drug. Is it recommended for mild social anxiety? I am quite literally anxious around people I don't know.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Luvox (fluvoxamine) works wonders for SAD.
If you have a big problem, it can help. It will boost low Seritonin levels.
Works in myself, and my brother who has SAD, he takes 50mg luvox and 25 mg Zoloft a day, its like a party drug to him. Hes an INFP, and now hes very extroverted, and is in love with people for the first time.
That combo is the best meds for anxiety and NF's, I know because Ive tried them all!

Have you tried 5HTP? It's a vegetable source of tryptophan which is converted into serotonin in the body. It has fewer side affects than your averages SSRIs and is suitable for long term use.
Good for insomnia too.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Have you tried 5HTP? It's a vegetable source of tryptophan which is converted into serotonin in the body. It has fewer side affects than your averages SSRIs and is suitable for long term use.
Good for insomnia too.
Wouldn't it make you drowsy whenever you took it?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Cool. I'm sure I'll forget to buy any though. lol.

5HTP helps control appetite, insomnia, mood and fibromyalgia

^They're pushing it like snake oil. LOL I was just reminded of a day in high school, at the best friend's house, when I put masking tape around everything in the spice rack and renamed it all to such as Snake Oil! (including a drawing of a viper head with mouth agape). His dad HATED me!

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp

yeah. im totally like this.

i think i was like 51% E and 49% I.... something like that.

but you know at these "networking" type of events... where everyone is stuffy, fake, and just out trying to get theirs... i usually feel totally uncomfortable... but yeah, when im comfortable... i think i always have fun. hehe

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool. I'm sure I'll forget to buy any though. lol.

5HTP helps control appetite, insomnia, mood and fibromyalgia

^They're pushing it like snake oil. LOL I was just reminded of a day in high school, at the best friend's house, when I put masking tape around everything in the spice rack and renamed it all to such as Snake Oil! (including a drawing of a viper head with mouth agape). His dad HATED me!

Sounds like snake oil, but serotonin isn't just a neurotransmitter - it's involved in all those other processes too.
Plus it's cheap and available without a prescription. I know lots of folk who swear by it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Sounds like snake oil, but serotonin isn't just a neurotransmitter - it's involved in all those other processes too.
Plus it's cheap and available without a prescription. I know lots of folk who swear by it.
I didn't say it was, just that the website seemed to be overselling it. I will look into it.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
That is very true. It's so strange because I think around most people I get very uncomfortable because they give off a fake and superficial vibe that I would like to stay far away from. It literally brings my spirit down. My extroversion/introversion is slightly higher than yours (60% Extroversion, 40% Introversion). It depends on where my mind is at, at times I think I'm 60% Introverted, lol. Positive energy is so important to me. It brings out the real me. Does that make sense?

Also, I can't stand when I'm mellow and more to myself and people think something is wrong. :steam:. I don't like to play the "life of the party" role all the time. A co-worker told me "You have to be consistent, you can't be talkative one day and be quiet and to yourself the next...you confuse people!". WTH!

yeah. im totally like this.

i think i was like 51% E and 49% I.... something like that.

but you know at these "networking" type of events... where everyone is stuffy, fake, and just out trying to get theirs... i usually feel totally uncomfortable... but yeah, when im comfortable... i think i always have fun. hehe

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
sol, lots of people get shy, regardless of their type. I experience it and I'm not exactly ENFP.