• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] When an extravert becomes introverted ... for a while

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm an ENFJ and am ridiculously extraverted most of the time. But I spent 7 months being 'introverted'.

In a general way....

would you say I became more like an INFJ seeing as I was using my introverted function more (Ni)?

Or would I have been using the opposite of my extraverted function (Fe) so Fi?

---

It does feel like I was developing my Ni - but would that be the say more 'automatic' approach?

á´…eparted

passages
My social activity can become essentially non-exsistant for months at a time. My type, arrangement of functions, etc. doesn't change, nor do I become an introvert.

Lark

I've experienced that, I still believe that both extroversion and introversion is a thing, despite all the memes rubbishing the idea and making fun of people who claim to be ambiverts suggesting that they are simply "people" and that people identifying more strongly with one or the other social/introspection preference are kidding themselves.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've experienced that, I still believe that both extroversion and introversion is a thing, despite all the memes rubbishing the idea and making fun of people who claim to be ambiverts suggesting that they are simply "people" and that people identifying more strongly with one or the other social/introspection preference are kidding themselves.

I agree! Not sure I'm ambivalent to the full extent that maybe others are but it certainly felt like it for a while. Being kinda drained by people and valuing internal subjective reality as opposed to people and external reality.

It's so refreshing.

Do you find that you bounce back with force? As in back to super extrovert?

Lark

I agree! Not sure I'm ambivalent to the full extent that maybe others are but it certainly felt like it for a while. Being kinda drained by people and valuing internal subjective reality as opposed to people and external reality.

It's so refreshing.

Do you find that you bounce back with force? As in back to super extrovert?

I'm not sure what super extrovert is, I feel a sort of drive to connectedness which is what I think of as extroversion, when I do spend time recharging from socially induced exhaustion I still read, write to people online, use instant messengers and write letters or whatever, it feels like the connectedness only a different species of it.

Someone had a visual concept of types which involved an infinity loop, you know it looks like an eight turned on its side, and linked between cognitive sets, I'm less sure sometimes of it in terms of thinking/feeling, judging/percepting etc. but in terms of introversion/extroversion it makes sense.

There are some sorts of behaviour, often labelled extrovert, which I find draining as an extrovert and which deter me from behaving in what people may think of as typical extrovert behaviour, like if people are being brash, outspoken, rude or obnoxious, often the insecurities and underlying issues feeding all that sort of thing scream out like a public announcement system to me and its usually accompanied by the people responsible for it being completely unawares of it themselves. That is tiring. I think to anyone of any type it would be, whether it is actually full blown toxicity or not.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm not sure what super extrovert is, I feel a sort of drive to connectedness which is what I think of as extroversion, when I do spend time recharging from socially induced exhaustion I still read, write to people online, use instant messengers and write letters or whatever, it feels like the connectedness only a different species of it.

Someone had a visual concept of types which involved an infinity loop, you know it looks like an eight turned on its side, and linked between cognitive sets, I'm less sure sometimes of it in terms of thinking/feeling, judging/percepting etc. but in terms of introversion/extroversion it makes sense.

There are some sorts of behaviour, often labelled extrovert, which I find draining as an extrovert and which deter me from behaving in what people may think of as typical extrovert behaviour, like if people are being brash, outspoken, rude or obnoxious, often the insecurities and underlying issues feeding all that sort of thing scream out like a public announcement system to me and its usually accompanied by the people responsible for it being completely unawares of it themselves. That is tiring. I think to anyone of any type it would be, whether it is actually full blown toxicity or not.

When I say a super extravert I mean needing to and actually sending inner stuff out to the world and interacting with the world. WIth my particular type ENFJ it's realted to feelings and people.

Yeah I know what you mean ... being like that is not particularly extraverted as unconscious socially and internally. I used to do it myself - bad times :shock:

“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

What the quote says is I think the reason why these behaviours are draining for someone - dirty feet.

If that someone is judjing it constantly then it would probably be more tiring.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a Ne dom (Commonly said to be called the "introverted" extroverts") and ive had introverted phases in the past at stages in my life. I think it stemmed from the fact I had to rely on myself more during stressful or times of change as I then had to withdraw to reflect on my inner states.

Jaguar

I don't look at it as a noun, I look at it as a verb. I'd go crazy if I did either for too long.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are still an extrovert but adapted to the environment.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
From what I was observed...
ESFx or Social extroverts cannot become introvert.
INTx or Rational introverts cannot become extrovert.
Others are all flexible more or less. ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that something like 90% of the population probably falls into the ambivert camp behaviorally speaking, as opposed to pure introvert or extrovert... I can turn on one or the other depending upon the circumstances :)

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In some cases, I'm indistinguishable from an introvert. Lots of people would probably describe me as an introvert too. But, I'm an extrovert. I find that I need a lot of alone time. Also, my Ne is still running when I'm alone so I find that I'm not deprived of it. I do really connect with the label "ambievert."

Digital Lion

I've come to the conclusion that I'm an HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) extrovert, which effectively makes me an ambivert--for me this leads to a lot of internal confusion and contradiction. I'm constantly compelled to "be out there," engage (more so with known associates/acquaintances/friends that I have great connections and/or good conversations with, not really with random new people), see what's going on (I hate to feel like I'm potentially missing out on something good) and overall seek high external stimulation, and can subsequently get rather charged from this like the typical extrovert, but after an extended time (or, if god forbid, I get bored), become totally drained and need to recharge alone and fade into my head like an introvert.

I've been so hyped to go to a party, and I'll be a fucking fool and have a great time, but become so overwhelmed with stimulation (that I purposefully and gleefully sought out) that I end up falling asleep (not due to alcohol) on a massive amp...while it's BUMPING. And whereas I can be lulled to sleep by said amp reverberating through my skull, I feel inclined to punch someone square in the esophagus if they consistently make that "smacking" sound while eating. lol I have a very finicky hyper-sensitivity to lights, sounds and environmental stimuli; it all depends. I've learned that though I want to be "in the mix," I can't handle much of it. I need time to recharge and regroup. I'll go a week without seeing my friends because I need a break from the madness but the whole time I'm clawing like a wet cat in a garbage bag, wanting to get out, thinking about what they're doing and the next time I can chill with them again. lol :huh: I hate places like Times Square (that seem too chaotic, without a central focal point) but will be totally chill at a concert (that seems more structured, with a central focal point), even though both venues involve a shit ton of people.

I'm also like some sort of ersatz empath that can easily pick up on mood and vibes in a room/from a person, though I don't readily show it on the outside (Fi?), but if the vibe is "negative, (too sad, anxious, annoying, hostile)" then it pisses me off and (in the past), I'd go Super Saiyan (use Te as a sledgehammer) or do something to stimulate/provoke a resolution so that I'd feel better. I used to have a complete inability to tolerate "negative" emotion in any way beyond "raging" against it. And there have been plenty of times where I'd want to go somewhere and do something social, but end up not doing it because I couldn't predict the vibe of the room beforehand--walking around like a hair-trigger asshole doesn't always make for a good time. I've also noticed that when I'm not actively using my Te, I tend to come off and even feel a lot more reserved and introverted than I actually am. I'm a noticeably off/on person--no dimmer effect going on over here.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've come to the conclusion that I'm an HSP (Highly Sensitive Person) extrovert, which effectively makes me an ambivert--for me this leads to a lot of internal confusion and contradiction. I'm constantly compelled to "be out there," engage (more so with known associates/acquaintances/friends that I have great connections and/or good conversations with, not really with random new people), see what's going on (I hate to feel like I'm potentially missing out on something good) and overall seek high external stimulation, and can subsequently get rather charged from this like the typical extrovert, but after an extended time (or, if god forbid, I get bored), become totally drained and need to recharge alone and fade into my head like an introvert.

I've been so hyped to go to a party, and I'll be a fucking fool and have a great time, but become so overwhelmed with stimulation (that I purposefully and gleefully sought out) that I end up falling asleep (not due to alcohol) on a massive amp...while it's BUMPING. And whereas I can be lulled to sleep by said amp reverberating through my skull, I feel inclined to punch someone square in the esophagus if they consistently make that "smacking" sound while eating. lol I have a very finicky hyper-sensitivity to lights, sounds and environmental stimuli; it all depends. I've learned that though I want to be "in the mix," I can't handle much of it. I need time to recharge and regroup. I'll go a week without seeing my friends because I need a break from the madness but the whole time I'm clawing like a wet cat in a garbage bag, wanting to get out, thinking about what they're doing and the next time I can chill with them again. lol :huh: I hate places like Times Square (that seem too chaotic, without a central focal point) but will be totally chill at a concert (that seems more structured, with a central focal point), even though both venues involve a shit ton of people.

I'm also like some sort of ersatz empath that can easily pick up on mood and vibes in a room/from a person, though I don't readily show it on the outside (Fi?), but if the vibe is "negative, (too sad, anxious, annoying, hostile)" then it pisses me off and (in the past), I'd go Super Saiyan (use Te as a sledgehammer) or do something to stimulate/provoke a resolution so that I'd feel better. I used to have a complete inability to tolerate "negative" emotion in any way beyond "raging" against it. And there have been plenty of times where I'd want to go somewhere and do something social, but end up not doing it because I couldn't predict the vibe of the room beforehand--walking around like a hair-trigger asshole doesn't always make for a good time. I've also noticed that when I'm not actively using my Te, I tend to come off and even feel a lot more reserved and introverted than I actually am. I'm a noticeably off/on person--no dimmer effect going on over here.

I agree it can be confusing being a highly sensitive extrovert or an empath and an extrovert. Also, sometimes poeple can not expect ur sensitive side to be non-existant or think that you were 'stronger' than they see now. SOrry to say it but such bullshit ... when did hiding one's sensitivities or true emotions become a 'strength' or being outwarly emotional become 'weak' . :shrug:

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Depending on the triggers, I think so.
Lately, I've had this Ni look, see-through eyes staring into the void trying to decipher the future events, as I'm thoroughly taking a step back, analyzing and going through many prospects before taking some major decisions. Even my body language was categorically different.

Stress, depression, purpose, coping mechanisms, state of mind, mindset and many parameters contribute into our extraversion/introversion. I believe that in essence, we are ambiverts who willingly choose one of both, and sometimes, both.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't believe you necessarily switch between being extroverted and introverted, you may reach out to other functions for short periods of time but you do not suddenly lead with that function. Concerning MBTI, there is a bit more that goes between being extroverted or introverted than how much you like being around people or how reserved you are. Because I lead with an introverted function and it's often quite difficult to interact primarily with an introverted function, I am commonly using Ne to talk with people. Am I extroverted during that interaction? No. I am using my extroverted function because I need to, but as an introvert I also need to back away from interaction often because that gets exhausting for extensive periods of time. As in, more than a couple hours. I could never even do sleepovers as a child because I needed time to internalize things alone with my Fi. It causes over-stimulation of my auxiliary function when I am interacting with others for too long due to this process. An extrovert reverting into their introverted function occasionally is not them turning into an introvert, it is them using that introverted function effectively and taking the time to internalize. Everyone needs to do that, introverts are just needing it constantly.

I believe I have read somewhere on this site or wherever that extroverts are more likely to relate to introverts than the opposite and I have to agree. I could never mistake myself as being extroverted, the need for personal time is constant throughout my life and goes far beyond introspective periods vs energized periods. Extroverts do need to dip into their auxiliary introverted function to reflect so their extroverted function has something to fall back on, that is a normal functioning extrovert in MBTI, but it's not what most introverted types experience and not you switching between a extroverted/introverted type.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't believe you necessarily switch between being extroverted and introverted, you may reach out to other functions for short periods of time but you do not suddenly lead with that function. Concerning MBTI, there is a bit more that goes between being extroverted or introverted than how much you like being around people or how reserved you are. Because I lead with an introverted function and it's often quite difficult to interact primarily with an introverted function, I am commonly using Ne to talk with people. Am I extroverted during that interaction? No. I am using my extroverted function because I need to, but as an introvert I also need to back away from interaction often because that gets exhausting for extensive periods of time. As in, more than a couple hours. I could never even do sleepovers as a child because I needed time to internalize things alone with my Fi. It causes over-stimulation of my auxiliary function when I am interacting with others for too long due to this process. An extrovert reverting into their introverted function occasionally is not them turning into an introvert, it is them using that introverted function effectively and taking the time to internalize. Everyone needs to do that, introverts are just needing it constantly.

I believe I have read somewhere on this site or wherever that extroverts are more likely to relate to introverts than the opposite and I have to agree. I could never mistake myself as being extroverted, the need for personal time is constant throughout my life and goes far beyond introspective periods vs energized periods. Extroverts do need to dip into their auxiliary introverted function to reflect so their extroverted function has something to fall back on, that is a normal functioning extrovert in MBTI, but it's not what most introverted types experience and not you switching between a extroverted/introverted type.

So do you think, nevertheless, that it is the secondary function (as an ENFJ: Ni) that is being developed during those periods or could it be any of the introverted functions?

I did feel drained by external interaction and did need time to reflect and be alone - not just because I needed to develop my internal world but also because I felt drained by spending time with people.

As I understand that my type might not have changed around that time. I wasn't acting through my Fe as much as through an introverted function (whichever that may be). Neveertheless, my interest in people and how they interact with each other was still present. This is why I thought maybe I was temporarily acting more INFJ or coming across as if I was even if I wasn't. The change was obvious people didn't really know what to do around me as it was very different from my usual self.

I have to say that I have has mental health difficulties. But, around that time I felt the most comfortable with myself and the most realised within my inner world. Which makes sense as the focus was on an introverted function. I am wondering which one that may have been and which one would be the 'default' per se? The secondary or the fourth or all of them?

- - - Updated - - -

From what I was observed...
ESFx or Social extroverts cannot become introvert.
INTx or Rational introverts cannot become extrovert.
Others are all flexible more or less. ;)

Why such specific types?

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Depending on the triggers, I think so.
Lately, I've had this Ni look, see-through eyes staring into the void trying to decipher the future events, as I'm thoroughly taking a step back, analyzing and going through many prospects before taking some major decisions. Even my body language was categorically different.

Stress, depression, purpose, coping mechanisms, state of mind, mindset and many parameters contribute into our extraversion/introversion. I believe that in essence, we are ambiverts who willingly choose one of both, and sometimes, both.

Do you believe this for everybody?

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
My social activity can become essentially non-exsistant for months at a time. My type, arrangement of functions, etc. doesn't change, nor do I become an introvert.

Do you feel you develop your introverted functions during those times?