• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] When an extravert becomes introverted ... for a while

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Why such specific types?

Interaction with the world is primary extrovert sensory aspect to satisfy feelings of individuate. Fe-Si has a strong desire for interaction of people in context of universal ethics to help people around them and Se-Fi in context of pleasure by various things. This is where Fe wants to help people around and Si sustain values of Fe or where Se wants to experience various things and Fi sustain and boost values of Se. There is a reason why so many prostitutes are ESFx type. Because Social Extroverts are so bound to the real world, people and pleasures of flesh so they constantly have a need for energy from the interaction with them. Do you hear for Succubus? ;)

Now imagine a being who live completely inside his world with various unrealistic things called ideas and who is only mission and propose of his life is to learn everything about it instead to simple live it as other people. This is definition of Rational Introverts. :)

So you have two extremes and the rest is in between. :D

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So do you think, nevertheless, that it is the secondary function (as an ENFJ: Ni) that is being developed during those periods or could it be any of the introverted functions?

I did feel drained by external interaction and did need time to reflect and be alone - not just because I needed to develop my internal world but also because I felt drained by spending time with people.

As I understand that my type might not have changed around that time. I wasn't acting through my Fe as much as through an introverted function (whichever that may be). Neveertheless, my interest in people and how they interact with each other was still present. This is why I thought maybe I was temporarily acting more INFJ or coming across as if I was even if I wasn't. The change was obvious people didn't really know what to do around me as it was very different from my usual self.

I have to say that I have has mental health difficulties. But, around that time I felt the most comfortable with myself and the most realised within my inner world. Which makes sense as the focus was on an introverted function. I am wondering which one that may have been and which one would be the 'default' per se? The secondary or the fourth or all of them?

From most extroverted types I interact with, when they do pull back it is primarily to give their auxiliary some time to reflect, but it's very possible that it was both your auxiliary and inferior as well. The extroverts I do meet who don't utilize their introverted functions as often seem to have a lot of built up introverted function energy, so when they pull away it is sometimes for long periods of time or with both of their introverted functions. I theorize you don't see this reverse affect with introverts as often because social interaction is a normal part of everyday life, most are forced to be using their extroverted functions all the time so their isn't this push/pull affect that some extroverts experience.

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You may act more introverted/extroverted at times, but no types ever really change or flip flop from actual introvert to actual extrovert, which would cause all of your functions to just switch places.

ENxPs are usually considered the most introverted extroverts while ESxJs are usually considered to be the most extroverted extroverts, but both have an equal chance of changing from introvert to extrovert - 0% chance.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Do you think that when extraverts introvert and when extraverts introvert they develop their second function or would they be developing all their introverted functions simultaneously?