• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ Mystyping, what about the INFJ personality do you find yourself doing?

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
INFJs are seen (or at least I see them as) as very cool and rare individuals with almost deep 'magical' powers. Which makes a lot of poeple want to be and thus mystype as one.

But, what exactly makes you an INFJ?

What definable differences do you percieve between you and other types, say the INFP?

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Differences with an INFP? Every single function. They are hard to tell apart if you understand both types, I only really see confusion when people are relying on things like personality profiles or dichotomies.

Being mistyped as INFJ works just the same as mistyping as any other type and more specifically with the INFJ, the allure of being the most uncommon type does attract those with superiority complexes. But if you are trying to avoid attracting people with inflated egos, all those 'I understand everyone but nobody understands me' facebook posts don't help.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to mistype as INTJ before doing more research and stumbling upon the INFJ profile, which fit all the missing puzzle pieces being an INTJ did not explain.

To me, being a Ni dom and Se inferior means having trouble doing things you perceive as having no meaning- whatever that is, and having trouble doing things which would not yield you anything in the future. The difference is my Fe aux makes me softer and puts my focus on people and their feelings and their dynamics more than INTJ do.

With INFP, the differences are very striking (speaking as an INFJ) once you've gotten along with them. You might be able to talk about similar topics and be attracted to similar ideas, but the paths you take and decisions you make are entirely different, and if both parties are uncompromising, they are even more obvious. It's no surprise, since both types only share the same (NF) temperament, after all.

That being said, I've only had the misfortune of stumbling into unhealthy INFP all the time (passive-aggressive, hypersensitive, hyper-focused on others' 'fakeness' and their own 'special snowflake' feelings), so I do not really know them at their best, but our workings are definitely different.

Speaking in general, assuming that INFJ are magical is utterly ridiculous. It's like assuming you can build the best quality items just because you possess the tools - it really depends on how you use them and how much you hone them. To put it grossly, all types have their own brand of 'magic'- I just don't understand why INFJs are particularly blown out of proportion.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Differences with an INFP? Every single function. They are hard to tell apart if you understand both types, I only really see confusion when people are relying on things like personality profiles or dichotomies.

Being mistyped as INFJ works just the same as mistyping as any other type and more specifically with the INFJ, the allure of being the most uncommon type does attract those with superiority complexes. But if you are trying to avoid attracting people with inflated egos, all those 'I understand everyone but nobody understands me' facebook posts don't help.

infjs and infps are indeed very different.

About mistyping Yeah, it seems that they do the stereotypical stuff without the actual depth :huh:

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I used to mistype as INTJ before doing more research and stumbling upon the INFJ profile, which fit all the missing puzzle pieces being an INTJ did not explain.

To me, being a Ni dom and Se inferior means having trouble doing things you perceive as having no meaning- whatever that is, and having trouble doing things which would not yield you anything in the future. The difference is my Fe aux makes me softer and puts my focus on people and their feelings and their dynamics more than INTJ do.

With INFP, the differences are very striking (speaking as an INFJ) once you've gotten along with them. You might be able to talk about similar topics and be attracted to similar ideas, but the paths you take and decisions you make are entirely different, and if both parties are uncompromising, they are even more obvious. It's no surprise, since both types only share the same (NF) temperament, after all.

That being said, I've only had the misfortune of stumbling into unhealthy INFP all the time (passive-aggressive, hypersensitive, hyper-focused on others' 'fakeness' and their own 'special snowflake' feelings), so I do not really know them at their best, but our workings are definitely different.

Speaking in general, assuming that INFJ are magical is utterly ridiculous. It's like assuming you can build the best quality items just because you possess the tools - it really depends on how you use them and how much you hone them. To put it grossly, all types have their own brand of 'magic'- I just don't understand why INFJs are particularly blown out of proportion.

I think INFPs can be like that when they don't reconcile their emotional reality with the outside world.

About the 'magic' It might be as an ENFJ and having inmense respect for the Ni function and am in love with an INFJ it kinda makes me biased.

I've heard this from a youtuber who is INFJs that they can see 'psyches' WHat are your thoughts on that?

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think INFPs can be like that when they don't reconcile their emotional reality with the outside world.

About the 'magic' It might be as an ENFJ and having inmense respect for the Ni function and am in love with an INFJ it kinda makes me biased.

I've heard this from a youtuber who is INFJs that they can see 'psyches' WHat are your thoughts on that?

Re: INFP - That is very true. Sticking true to your beliefs is one thing, but stubbornly ignoring reality is yet another thing in entirely.

Re: INFJ - I've met a few INFJ in my life, and all of them can 'look into' people's minds more than their peers, myself included. In fact, to most of us, it's so natural that some of us think that everyone could see the same things we do.

To me, and based off my observations, it's more to how an INFJ (and any type, really) uses their functions. Being an INFJ does not automatically grant the skills to look into people's psyches, it seems to be a combination of many factors.

For example, INFJ as introverts would listen more than they speak, in general. The intuitive function is more interested in finding out the why, why, why, whys of everything. Combine that with even more factors and a general interest in other people, you get a person who is adept at interpreting the smallest nuances of things in people, to be able to 'people-read'. It is a honed skill based off the INFJ's natural interest in their subjects.

I have found INFJ who are not as interested in delving into the human psyche- they get gut feelings of people, but cannot 'read' them in the way many online articles describe. The MBTI functions simply give us a clue on how someone works, not necessarily how they use those functions. It helps to remember that all types can be highly specialized in their own things, and it does not automatically make the INFJ type as a whole more capable, intelligent, or special than any other type.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Re: INFP - That is very true. Sticking true to your beliefs is one thing, but stubbornly ignoring reality is yet another thing in entirely.

Re: INFJ - I've met a few INFJ in my life, and all of them can 'look into' people's minds more than their peers, myself included. In fact, to most of us, it's so natural that some of us think that everyone could see the same things we do.

To me, and based off my observations, it's more to how an INFJ (and any type, really) uses their functions. Being an INFJ does not automatically grant the skills to look into people's psyches, it seems to be a combination of many factors.

For example, INFJ as introverts would listen more than they speak, in general. The intuitive function is more interested in finding out the why, why, why, whys of everything. Combine that with even more factors and a general interest in other people, you get a person who is adept at interpreting the smallest nuances of things in people, to be able to 'people-read'. It is a honed skill based off the INFJ's natural interest in their subjects.

I have found INFJ who are not as interested in delving into the human psyche- they get gut feelings of people, but cannot 'read' them in the way many online articles describe. The MBTI functions simply give us a clue on how someone works, not necessarily how they use those functions. It helps to remember that all types can be highly specialized in their own things, and it does not automatically make the INFJ type as a whole more capable, intelligent, or special than any other type.

Interesting

and coudn't agree more. All types can be fascinating and very capable.

Btw how would you describe the Ni function? In a general way if possible.. I've read and listened to descriptions but I'd imagine someone with a dominant Ni can explain it pretty well.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ni is pretty slow. It takes a lot of seemingly disparate information and mulches it together into something new and unique. Most infjs I know are terrible though at remember specific bits of information or where they came from. However, they are exceptional at noticing patterns and predicting likely outcomes. For me, I like revisiting information or inputs because this get new things out of it. Ni is great at envisioning what could be. As teachers, I've found Ni users are good at inspiring and encouraging and transforming people. Ne is much better at taking what is and repurposing it in a novel way. It can take the qualities a person already has and figure out ways of employing those qualities to the best advantage. Ni doms often have good ideas, but aren't great at selling them on a large scale level. I think infjs are most interested in people systems and what makes people tick, while intjs notice patterns and do novel things with less people oriented information. Ni is a very slow function because it looks for patterns and is more about underlying principles or impressions than details and it keeps revisiting as it has room to absorb more. Ne is very quick, can read people or situations for what it is scanning for with the most priority. Ni wants to specialize, Ne picks out what's useful or interesting. Ne doms give great, specific compliments and are very observant about what makes people respond. Ni can't do that as well.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, Ni is:

- Abstract, flowing mental imagery and the insights it inspires

- Letting a problem percolate in my head for a bit before a solution occurs to me without my having to reason through the information in a logical fashion

- Being focused on the future, history, and time in general

What makes me an INFJ is that my introverted world is dominated by Ni>Si and Ti>Fi, in that order of strength, while my external behavior is motivated by Fe>Te and Se>Ne, in that order of strength. I don't see myself as much of a confidant, though, nor many of the other stereotypical INFJ traits that you find in profiles written without reference to the functions.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

As an INFP, I can confirm that this is definitely a weakness of ours. It usually appears in young INFPs who have yet to develop their Te, thus not knowing how to properly handle objective fact when it involves their Fi ideals, perhaps even discounting it altogether. In comparison to an INFJ who is suppressing their inferior Se, they can come up with overly subjective views of the world and theorize with singular truths while being blind to their Se that may provide evidence that their intuitive ideas don't hold up as well in reality. If you are stuck typing an unhealthy or young INFX, this might be a useful bit of information to remember. Both Fi and Ni can be very stubborn and singular, but in different ways.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The best way I can describe it is that Ni really likes seeing what's behind something, what is more than what seems. When I try describe what I see and what I'm interested in, S types, especially Se users, see it as unnecessarily convoluted, and often, in the moment, it's true. It doesn't directly yield anything and worse of all, it is very difficult to explain.

Ni is very interested in making connections between many things and condensing it, and filtering down to a single idea, discovery, thought, whatever it is.
Through experience and with time, Ni gets better and better at paying attention to these small details, and gets faster and faster with making their conclusions, and applying it to whatever it is their field of interest (via Fe or Te). They might seem suddenly good/insightful, even, at something (eg: an INFJ will suddenly be able to psychoanalyze you in the first 5 minutes of meeting), when all this time they've been unconsciously processing it all along.

Why this is a thing, is that Ni users (very, very prominent in very heavy Ni users) really want to see the answer behind everything, and how everything works, why they are as they are. They're fans of fundamentally understanding how something works, often so they can tinker with them and make them even better. This is because they are interested at what could be, more than what is. They gather their insights with Ni, and do something about it with Fe or Te, in their own ways.

I find these things, for the most part, true for IN_J in general. Just apply them to just about any aspect of anything, and you might get an understanding of what Ni is like, though do note that I'm taking notes off myself and off INTJ (since... I don't run into INFJ as often, offline anyway) so this is from my own + somewhat of an INTJ's perspective, at least in wording. But these things, as fellow Ni-doms, we can agree upon.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As an INFP, I can confirm that this is definitely a weakness of ours. It usually appears in young INFPs who have yet to develop their Te, thus not knowing how to properly handle objective fact when it involves their Fi ideals, perhaps even discounting it altogether. In comparison to an INFJ who is suppressing their inferior Se, they can come up with overly subjective views of the world and theorize with singular truths while being blind to their Se that may provide evidence that their intuitive ideas don't hold up as well in reality. If you are stuck typing an unhealthy or young INFX, this might be a useful bit of information to remember. Both Fi and Ni can be very stubborn and singular, but in different ways.

This is an amazing clarification.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It’s interesting to see what you guys see Ni as. Keep going.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ

I've found it especially difficult to interact with this aspect of a particular INFP ex and best friend now. He's so honest about it now it is so refreshing.

What weakness would you see in an ENFJ using Ni as a secondary function?

Trying to avoid unconscious mistakes here ;)

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Btw thank you guys I'm starting to understand the concept much better now :)

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've found it especially difficult to interact with this aspect of a particular INFP ex and best friend now. He's so honest about it now it is so refreshing.

What weakness would you see in an ENFJ using Ni as a secondary function?

Trying to avoid unconscious mistakes here ;)

I haven't interacted as much with ENFJs, but most of their troubles would probably come from their Ti, not as much their Ni. Fe can make very in-the-moment emotional decisions that defy rationalism if they aren't utilizing Ti correctly. This is why EXFJs are sometimes portrayed as gossipy, without filters or emotionally volatile. Ni/Se tends to function a bit more naturally in an ENFJ because both functions are close in their stacking. Of course, this is all hypothetical based on the ENFJ's state of mind.