• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and positive energy

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
this is why I love extraverted nfs :D they make my day. But it's always easier to make someone smile than to make yourself get out of a negative phase in my opinion.

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
Not wanting to change the subject, but it seems related in a way.

Does anyone ever get really "bad, angry, nasty vibes" from someone, to the point where you want to leave, but then your imagination "gives" you a possible reason(maybe an emotional insight or understanding, not that you know exactly what's happening) why that person is feeling/acting the way they are, and then their face changes suddenly and you can see their "inner pain/conflict" and then want to be their best friend?

I'm not crazy...even though I probably sound nuts. :D

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I agreed with your post until "and then want to be their best friend"

Replace that with "and then want to shove a pepsi can down their throat" and I agree wholeheartedly. Just because I can empathize with somebody's conflict doesn't give them an excuse to be a douche and spawn negative energy.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe but to me as an outsider it looks that SF's feelings are more shallow so they can change their state more quickly.

Can't speak for any other SF's but personally I don't do well with negative energy at all. It's just that I'm not prone to whining about it and so I bottle it up. I don't quite know how to fix that yet.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not wanting to change the subject, but it seems related in a way.

Does anyone ever get really "bad, angry, nasty vibes" from someone, to the point where you want to leave, but then your imagination "gives" you a possible reason(maybe an emotional insight or understanding, not that you know exactly what's happening) why that person is feeling/acting the way they are, and then their face changes suddenly and you can see their "inner pain/conflict" and then want to be their best friend?

I'm not crazy...even though I probably sound nuts. :D

Yeah, I do get this sometimes.

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
I agreed with your post until "and then want to be their best friend"

Replace that with "and then want to shove a pepsi can down their throat" and I agree wholeheartedly. Just because I can empathize with somebody's conflict doesn't give them an excuse to be a douche and spawn negative energy.

Well, I agree with you. Nobody should just be a dick for no reason, and maybe if this person was a dick to someone else and not me, I would want to shove a pepsi can down their throat. But, as the "dickiness" was directed towards me, I guess I was able to feel strong enough to take it and look past it.

But yeah, I guess "be their best friend" was a little too strong there. What I meant was the "imagined reason" was strong enough to change my initial reaction from that of repulse to more of an embracing sort of mercy, despite the person being a dick to me a few moments earlier.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
No, there is a difference. It's like, when I go to smoke on the back yard in the morning and I know there's nothing special I am going to do that day, I can either feel really bored, or I can watch the leaves coming down from the trees. Either way I am doing the same thing but if I concentrate on how I will not get any good vibes today, I will feel worse than if I am content with not having bad vibes.

Yes there is a differnce and I am trying to see why this difference is so importannt.

From want I see my observation was correct.

Now it is time for more abstract part.

Why you want to stay away from negative energy at "all cost"?

What is actally this negative energy for you?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

It depletes energy. It's like a black hole into which effort, time, and enthusiasm are sucked. It's not cost-effective. It's inefficient. It spreads like a virus. Generally, negative energy leads to poor productiveness.

You can imagine it like a pair of machines. One machine runs on a very clean, efficient fuel that also is able to oil the gears and keep the machine going indefinitely with very few repairs. The other runs on a fuel that burns, smells horribly, makes the machine groan and squeak, it needs to constantly be refilled, the waste needs dumping somewhere safe but ends up leaking everywhere no matter what you do, and the machine ends up falling apart in a few years so why bother to maintain it. That would be positive and negative energy respectively.

So, you could consider those energies like those two different types of fuel and the behaviour of the machines as the behaviour of myself when interacting with either one.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Negative energy is indicative of negative, (at times even tangible), things.

Don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of times where I have walked into an "empty" space, and by empty I mean vacant of people, and have felt a distinct sense or vibe of negative energy, I cannot explain why this happens, or what triggers it, but the feeling is strong enough for me to leave that place and never come back.

However, usually when I feel negative energy it is in a social environment, where something is just off, where I am either surrounded by insidiously angry/hateful people or by a disjointed group where some type of fight will emerge.

Being in a positive environment is, as I stated earlier, just awesome.

It resonates with good vibes and general feelings of love, and due to this, is conducive to good times.

:D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

I don't know would I say "at all cost", but staying in good mental health is one of my main concerns. And I know what happens when I have no choice but to live in a negative atmosphere. It drains me, I will have no energy for anything but maybe routine. And I can't help but to think that it effects me differently than the other types of people. Every time there is an argument that has turned away from the issue and started to be about hurting the other person, I can feel the anxiety in my chest, even if I wasn't part of the argument in any way. So, I usually leave those situations. But, if I think they are going to get physical, I can't leave because I worry about them. So, not at any cost...

For me negative energy is mainly about other people. Certain individuals or certain behavior. I can also feel down if I don't have enough variety in my life, but that is more like a long-term negative energy... and variety for me doesn't mean that I do something dramatic all the time. Like skipping countries or something.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I have a good example of the sort of negative energy that affects me most.

Last night I went with my partner to visit his elderly mother in her rest home. We took along her toy poodle, Sammy, who we now look after. She was in such a crabby, negative, critical mood that by the time we left we both felt utterly drained to the core. I felt it starting to happen during the visit and did my "energy projection" thing, but she just vacuumed that up in a trice.

After we left I noticed that Sammy the dog was also hanging his head down. I said to my partner: "Look! She's even managed to suck all of the joy out of Sammy!".

To be fair, she isn't always like this and she has had a terrible year healthwise, culiminating in her moving to the rest home. But when she's in a bad mood, her energy-sucking powers rival that of Count Dracula himself!

I think she is an ISFJ, by the way.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
I'd have to agree with CaptainChick. I just feel so uncomfortable when other people project out their negative vibes, and as a result I mostly tend to withdraw within myself more. Warm, happy vibes definitely allow me more freedom to be myself, which can be a great boost on a rather poor day.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Very interesting all of you are talking about people.

No one talks about negtive events/facts.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
No one talks about negtive events/facts.

Negative events...? I don't remember any negative events that didn't include other people. Do you mean like... I walk down the street, fall down and break my leg? I would feel a bit angry to myself to be so clumsy, but I would accept the fact that I have a cast now for a month and get on with it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I mean things like vulcanic eruptions , tsunamies , earthquakes ..... and stuff like that.

There is no human cause but there is a lot of dead people.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mean things like vulcanic eruptions , tsunamies , earthquakes ..... and stuff like that.

There is no human cause but there is a lot of dead people.

Those things do create massive amounts of so-called "negative energy", but deliberately created disasters are worse. When I visited Ground Zero in New York a few years ago the air palpably shimmered with the power of what had occurred there. I could only stand it for a brief period before I had to escape.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, that kind of stuff. Hmm... I still dont remember anything.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Negative events really have no impact on me unless its directly related to me (as in a family member dying).

I remember acting entirely normal during the entire 9/11 frenzy.

But you put me near someone who antagonizes against a good group laugh and tries to steal the conversation for purposes of subjects nobody's interested in just for their own self-benefit of things THEY want to talk about with little regard of others, and I'm deeply furious.